Thread: Best Zion canyons to do in late March

Best Zion canyons to do in late March

I'm a nooby to the site but glad to join the forum
    My girlfriend, uncle, and I have 2 days open for spring break in zion national park and we are all itching to do a couple canyons. I've read over some stuff and it looks like it's hit or miss for that time. My big question is what canyons would you most recommend to do we are extremely familiar with the keyhole pine creek loop, done them every time I've been out there as a warm up. Spry is another canyon we are very comfortable with but my big question is can we do these safelythat time of season or do you guys have any suggestions for canyons that might have a little less flow?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I would suggest you put Fat Man's Misery at the top of your spring break to-do list.

Fat man's Misery
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/misery1.htm

It's a great canyon, it comes into season very early. There are several escapes along the way. The only noobie negative is make sure you know how to navigate cross-country.

I know Iceaxe will disagree with me, but if you haven't done it I think Behunin is actually a fun one.

5. Likes tanya liked this post
    Any information you can share on water canyon? Saw your trip report looks like an awesome canyon!

Is it a good time of the year to do it? It's definitely been one we want to do.

We did Water Canyon for Easter last year and it's a good canyon. You will need full 5mm wetsuits that time of year, but if you have the neoprene go for it. It's great that the canyon has lots of entrances and exits to meet any skill level, it's a bit of a downer that several of the rappels are from the hiking trail going up. It's not a real "backcountry experiance" in my opinion, same can easily be said for Pine Creek.

Water Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/zionwater.htm

Water Canyon is certainly a must do canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    I know Iceaxe will disagree with me, but if you haven't done it I think Behunin is actually a fun one.
    The best reason to do Behunin is so you can say you've done it so you don't have to do it again.

Actually if you are looking for an early season canyon it's not a bad option, not my favorite, but acceptable. Any other time of year I consider it a waste of a good day.

Hahaha any opinion on doing hidden canyon? So many canyons to do so little time 😕 Curse living in the Midwest

Quote Originally Posted by JacksonL View Post
    Hahaha any opinion on doing hidden canyon? So many canyons to do so little time 😕 Curse living in the Midwest
    WOW! You mentioned a canyon I like less than Behunin. Congratulations.

For the record, I like slot canyons. Neither Behunin or Hidden are slot canyons. They are both long walks in the pretty mountains that require a couple of rappels. If that's your cup of tea feel free to go for it.

I Wish I had a little more knowledge on canyons, guess that's why I'm here! Thanks for the heads up. Would you consider fat mans misery a lot of walking for little reward?

I consider Fat Man's a lot of walking for a lot of reward.

Fat Man's is a really great canyon and the finish of the slot is spectacular and is like no other I know of. However the canyon does come at a cost as the hike back out is long.

Your biggest problem is spring break is not the ideal time to be canyoneering in Zion as it's still out of season for many of its canyons. That time of year there are better options, places like Robbers Roost and Moab are just starting to enter their prime season at Spring Break.

Iceaxe,

You mention the end of Fat Man's is spectacular. I was planning on spending a couple days in late spring photographing down in the Barracks. Can I see this part of Misery by coming up from the east fork? I'm assuming I won't be able to access the slot arches? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by akavalun View Post
    You mention the end of Fat Man's is spectacular. I was planning on spending a couple days in late spring photographing down in the Barracks. Can I see this part of Misery by coming up from the east fork? I'm assuming I won't be able to access the slot arches? Thanks.
    If you have moderate climbing/scrambling skills you should have little problem reaching the double arch room by hiking up Misery. If reversing the canyon the small waterfall in the picture below will be your biggest obstacle. It should be pretty easy if you have a partner, a little more challenging if you are solo.

Quote Originally Posted by akavalun View Post
    Iceaxe,

I also think even with good climbing skills, you need an extra person with you to give you a boost at the last drop before the double-arch chamber. Last time I entered from the Barracks, I had two friends with me. I boosted them, and waited at the drop, then they boosted me and waited at the drop.

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    I also think even with good climbing skills, you need an extra person with you to give you a boost at the last drop before the double-arch chamber.
    If you have some webbing or a short rope you can use a pack-toss to help get you over the drop, just treat it as a pothole escape.

Bogley BigShot
    If you want something non-technical I put a list at an invite for the Zion area this years. See my signature