Thread: Overnight Canyoneering (Boundary & Narrows)

Overnight Canyoneering (Boundary & Narrows)

I've done dozens of canyoneering day trips in the last five years (Zion, Moab, San Rafael, Escalante, St. George) and I want to start doing overnight canyoneering trips.

For my first multi-day trip I'm planning to do Boundary Canyon down to Kolob Creek and then continue down Kolob to the Virgin River and out the Zion Narrows.

I've already done Boundary Canyon as a day trip (using the MIA exit), so I'm familiar with the technical part and I know the area. I'd like to get some advice on what to pack for the overnight portion and how to keep it all dry.

Should I just leave the stove at home and only bring ready-to-eat food?

I'm planning to do this trip in June. What kind of overnight temperatures should I expect at the campsites in the Narrows?

Do I try to stuff a mummy bag into my dry bag or should I just bring a space blanket and a tube tent?

What else should I be thinking about in preparing for this trip?

Thanks for the help!

2. Likes tanya liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'll try to help but I've only done two overnight canyoneering trips (both in Zion) so far. I'm too lazy right now to find the link but look under 'My Trip Reports' and read my Deep Creek TR. My mistakes preparing for Deep Creek may help you be more comfortable on your Boundary trip.

Last Fall we took two days to complete Right Fork of GWC (direct) starting from Lava Point. It was such a fun trip and I felt like we'd come a long way since freezing out asses off in Deep Creek. We didn't carry too much stuff but felt very prepared. All of us carried lightweight sleeping bags and lightweight blowup pads, no tent necessary since we don't do canyons in bad weather. In fact, I bought my Western Mountaineering sleeping bag a day after Deep Creek swearing to never freeze in a canyon again. We used our emergency blankets as ground cloths on top of the sand. My stove is the Soto Windmaster, combined with a 1 liter Vargo titanium bot. It sure was nice to have a hot meal at the end of the day, not to mention a little coffee in the morning. I own a quiver of camping and backpacking stoves and this one combined with the Bot is my favorite. We double dry bagged sleeping clothes, food, and in addition placed our sleeping bags in light weight waterproof compression sacks. We slept in lightweight merino wool top and bottoms and a capilene night cap. The hike out was more enjoyable with a good nights rest.

I'm not sure about exact temps but I know it's going to get very cold at night. When we did Deep Creek, Springdale was above 100 degrees. In the canyon with only a emergency blanket and sleeping bag liner it was 'can't sleep, up all night shaking, COLD'. The cool evaporation from the water in the Narrows lowers the temp significantly.
    Hope this helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions and perhaps we can get some others to chime in too since my canyon over-nighter experience is limited.

5. Likes tanya, baustin, jman, whansen liked this post
    You will want a lightweight sleeping bag or you will freeze your ass off, ask me how I know. Nighttime temps along the river are usually much cooler than what is reported in Springdale. I now use a 40 degree sleeping bag for trips like this, along with a ground cloth and no tent. A 40 degree bag is super lightweight and stuffs into a bag the size of a softball, they are pretty cheap if you look around.

I just pack ready to eat food but that is a personal choice as I prefer to go light.

From Climb-Utah.com Boundary Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/boundary.htm

Optional Narrows Exit:
    The most scenic exit route for Boundary Canyon is to spend two days and hike out the Zion Narrows to the Temple of Sinawava. This route can be completed in one very long day by a small group of experienced canyoneers and requires 10 to 12 hours. Completing the route in two days is traditional and allows for a more relaxing stroll or slightly larger group size. This is an excellent exit and I highly recommend using it at least once in your lifetime. If using the Narrows Exit a Zion Backcountry Permit must be obtained from the Zion Canyon Visitors Center.

A car shuttle is required for this route option. Your shuttle vehicle must be left at the Zion Canyon Visitor Center and than drive to the West Rim Trailhead to begin your adventure.

To complete the Zion Narrows route you continue hiking down Kolob Canyon instead of climbing up the MIA Exit. The route contains one additional 15' rappel and a cold 30-foot swim. It requires approximately 3 hours to reach the Virgin River from the MIA Exit.

Zion Narrows campsite #6 is located where Kolob Creek meets the Zion Narrows. Any campsite #6 through #12 is downstream and in the direction you need to go. Campsites #3, #4 and #5 are located a short distance up river at 5 minute intervals. You must register for a campsite when you pick up your backcountry permit. Any campsite #3 through #12 will meet your needs. All the sites are nice and each has something special to offer. Please be considerate and select a campsite that matches your group size.
    On a good day, which means clear water and low stream flow (less than 50 cfs), it will require 4 hours of hiking down the Virgin River from the Kolob confluence to reach the Temple of the Sinawava. This time estimate goes up exponentially with high and/or muddy river water.

7. Likes baustin, jman, WorkBad liked this post
    Sorry for crashing this thread, but I also plan on doing an overnight in early June. I plan on doing Heaps from Lava point and camp in Phantom Valley (per climb-UT Beta). I do NOT plan on bringing a sleeping bag as we should all be dry at this point, and can utilize extra clothes, wet-suit, and emergency blanket instead. Any concerns/advice anyone?

Emergency blankets don't breath very well. I've always gotten wet when using one. Personally, I'd recommend a very light sleeping bag. Some of them weigh about a pound and fit in a tiny container. Example:

http://www.westernmountaineering.com...ries/highlite/
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

10. Likes tanya, workbad01, nkanarik liked this post
    Blog Entries
    This is just me, but if I plan on a overnight using my ultralight bag, I'm bringing a bug net as well. Especially in the summer months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

12. Likes baustin, nkanarik liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by nkanarik View Post
    Sorry for crashing this thread, but I also plan on doing an overnight in early June. I plan on doing Heaps from Lava point and camp in Phantom Valley (per climb-UT Beta). I do NOT plan on bringing a sleeping bag as we should all be dry at this point, and can utilize extra clothes, wet-suit, and emergency blanket instead. Any concerns/advice anyone?
    I did this on a Heaps trip in June and I frooze my ass off. That was the trip that convinced me to buy a lightweight sleeping bag.

14. Likes workbad01, nkanarik liked this post
    Seems like there's a consensus about having a lightweight sleeping bag...will start looking for one. Recommendation for a cheap and "good enough" sleeping bag are welcome

Blog Entries

Overnight Canyoneering (Boundary & Narrows)

I like the Marmot Nanowave 35 bag at $75. It compacts down with all of the compression straps to the size of a deflated volleyball. A size between a softball and volleyball actually.

And it is comfortable! I use it on the hotter days in Zion actually as my main bag too.

●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

17. Likes nkanarik liked this post
    This is the type sleeping bag I'm talking about. The bag currently costs under $25 while it's on sale, is rated to 40 degrees, weights 1.7 pounds, packs to the size of a football and the compression sack is included.

Kaufland 40º Superlite Mummy
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...reation&sr=1-8.

I doubt you will ever find a better deal then that.
    You're welcome.

19. Likes baustin, nkanarik liked this post
    And I thought I'm getting a good deal for the Marmot All Summer Long (40F, 2 lbs.) at $100 :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    This is the type sleeping bag I'm talking about. The bag currently costs under $25 while it's on sale, is rated to 40 degrees, weights 1.7 pounds, packs to the size of a football and the compression sack is included.

Kaufland 40º Superlite Mummy
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...reation&sr=1-8.

I doubt you will ever find a better deal then that.
    You're welcome.

Blog Entries
    And I thought I'm getting a good deal for the Marmot All Summer Long (40F, 2 lbs.) at $100 :)
    Yeah seriously.

I may have to get one just to have a spare at that price.

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

22. Likes tanya, nkanarik liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    There is a cost/performance curve involved. Spend more money, you get less weight for the same warmth, of course.

I personally like the Montbell bags as providing superior warmth/weight and money, such as:

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp...7&p_id=2321172

I got the #3 bag, down hugger but without the elastic on the stitching. 1 lb 4 oz. 30 deg rating. Very comfortable to sleep in, and accurately rated.

Before that, I got a LaFuma 40 degree bag - Warm N Light 600 down - that was inexpensive, but... not very warm at all. I only used it once when the temp was about 45 degrees, in a mid with other people (in the rain), and slept very little, so it was put in my emergency kit. Weight: 21.4 oz. Available for sale.

http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.com...=0&sort=normal

Tom

24. Likes nkanarik liked this post
    Thanks Tom. I hear you :)
    Since my plans to do overnight canyoneering trips are very limited (Heaps in June :)), and I'm not planning on expanding it further (i.e. will keep overnight for backpacking, rather canyoneering)...I'll stick with Shane's low quality / low price (I do have high quality / low weight bag, but don't want to ruin it on one trip)

Cheers

Zion in summer you really don't need very much, but you need something.

27. Likes nkanarik liked this post
    Thanks Tom. I hear you :)
    Since my plans to do overnight canyoneering trips are very limited (Heaps in June :)), and I'm not planning on expanding it further (i.e. will keep overnight for backpacking, rather canyoneering)...I'll stick with Shane's low quality / low price (I do have high quality / low weight bag, but don't want to ruin it on one trip)

Cheers
    Why would you ruin it?

T

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Zion in summer you really don't need very much, but you need something.
    And while it might seem like a down jacket + improvisation would work, it really does not. A sleeping bag is a lot warmer for the weight. Even a low-tech sleeping bag.

Tom

30. Likes tanya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    And while it might seem like a down jacket + improvisation would work, it really does not. A sleeping bag is a lot warmer for the weight. Even a low-tech sleeping bag.
    I agree with that. When I said you don't need much, I meant you don't need much of a sleeping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Why would you ruin it?

T
    Maybe "ruin" is not the right word...just general canyoneering conditions might be more harsh (water, sand, no tent, etc.). Also...don't want to take the risk of sleeping bag getting soaking wet, and then I have no alternative sleeping bag for the night or two after :)

I've used a number of options...really like the Bibler bivy sack BD carried for awhile. I think it weights 8oz or some such. Packs down super small. If its summer in Zion...I just sleep in my clothes. I like silk weight tights as a luxury item. Light balaclava is efficient. But, I sleep pretty warm and don't mind that one night of suffering...

If I needed something else, I'd look at this:

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/Kestrel-Bivy.html

And pair that with one of those lightweight sleeping bag liners:

https://www.rei.com/c/sleeping-bag-l...-liners&page=1

If I think its going to dip near freezing...(would be unpleasant if your keg or drybag leaked, though):

https://marmot.com/products/details/atom-new

Those ultralight down sleeping bags compress to around the size of a one liter bottle. Very nice for a small pack.

34. Likes nkanarik, tanya liked this post