Thread: Kaleidoscppe/Choprock

Kaleidoscppe/Choprock

Planning a trip to Kaleidoscope/Choprock on March 12th. I’ve read most of the beta available in assorted places. Just wondering if there’s any advice anyone wants to throw my way.

For those who have been there before, I have two questions:

1) If we are planning on camping at the mouth of the canyon, how long do you estimate it should take to get back to camp? Kelsey clocks it at 7-10hrs, does that sound about right? (assume group of 5)

2) Given the time of the year and recent conditions, what would you guess the water level is right now?
    Delivery smartphone repair
    www.drwobot.com
    www.instagram.com/dadgitdoes

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kelsey's times are notoriously optimistic, and have led to more than one Search and Rescue.

Without knowing your skill set and considering this will be your first time through so you will be leading and not being led, I'd suggest a time of 10 to 14 hours camp-to-camp (this time excludes the hike into your base camp) is much more realistic.

Choprock Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/chop.htm

4. Likes badwobot liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by badwobot View Post
    Planning a trip to Kaleidoscope/Choprock on March 12th. I’ve read most of the beta available in assorted places. Just wondering if there’s any advice anyone wants to throw my way.

For those who have been there before, I have two questions:

1) If we are planning on camping at the mouth of the canyon, how long do you estimate it should take to get back to camp? Kelsey clocks it at 7-10hrs, does that sound about right? (assume group of 5)

2) Give the time of the year and recent conditions, what would you guess the water level is right now?
    Water levels are impossible to predict. Water levels depend on where the sand dams are, and they change with every significant flow. Could be low, could be high, could be somewhere else. Come prepared for the worst.

And let us know how it is!

Tom

6. Likes badwobot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Kelsey's times are notoriously optimistic, and have led to more than one Search and Rescue.

Without knowing your skill set and considering this will be your first time through so you will be leading and not being led, I'd suggest a time of 10 to 14 hours camp-to-camp (this time excludes the hike into your base camp) is much more realistic.

Choprock Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/chop.htm

Thank you very much.
    I know that these types of questions lead to vague answers since every group is different. But lets assume average pace for a youngish group.

Just a couple more questions:

1) By 'excluding the hike into your base camp', do you mean the hike from the Egypt trailhead into camp?
    2) 10-14 hrs you say from camp to camp at the mouth of Choprock or Fence? I was under the impression that this was the recommended time from Fence.

Thanks again. Shane is your name?
    www.drwobot.com

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Water levels are impossible to predict. Water levels depend on where the sand dams are, and they change with every significant flow. Could be low, could be high, could be somewhere else. Come prepared for the worst.

And let us know how it is!

Tom
    Thank you Tom.
    www.drwobot.com

Quote Originally Posted by badwobot View Post
    Thank you very much.
    I know that these types of questions lead to vague answers since every group is different. But lets assume average pace for a youngish group.

Just a couple more questions:

1) By 'excluding the hike into your base camp', do you mean the hike from the Egypt trailhead into camp?
    2) 10-14 hrs you say from camp to camp at the mouth of Choprock or Fence? I was under the impression that this was the recommended time from Fence.

Thanks again. Shane is your name?
    Yes I'm Shane.

My times were from a base camp near Fence Canyon.

I'll rephrase my original answer to... if you can continually match Kelsey's posted times in a canyon you have never done before then your canyoneering skills boarder on God like :-)

Not to mention you will not have had time to actually enjoy the canyons if trying to duplicate his posted times.

10. Likes badwobot liked this post
    There is a shorter version of Choprock, if time is a problem. Can't say exactly where as I was not the leader. It was a fine trip. The part where you shimmy own into the slot, then suck in and drop into the water below, was a real hoot.

12. Likes badwobot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Yes I'm Shane.

My times were from a base camp near Fence Canyon.

I'll rephrase my original answer to... if you can continually match Kelsey's posted times in a canyon you have never done before then your canyoneering skills boarder on God like :-)

Not to mention you will not have had time to actually enjoy the canyons if trying to duplicate his posted times.
    Ok, that sounds reasonable.
    Thank you Shane.
    www.drwobot.com

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    There is a shorter version of Choprock, if time is a problem. Can't say exactly where as I was not the leader. It was a fine trip. The part where you shimmy own into the slot, then suck in and drop into the water below, was a real hoot.
    That is known as the Blue Pool entrance to Choprock. Here is a clip of me nailing that move with two chicks, back when I was younger and taller.

I recommend viewing the short trip reports on Candition.com

https://www.candition.com/canyons/choprock

It will give you a good historical record of what to expect during different months.

Enjoy.

16. Likes darhawk, jman liked this post
    Varmints are afoot at the fence canyon campsite. Highly recommend hanging a wire mesh bag for your food and scented products. Unzip the backpacks or hang them so these items are not chewed through. I did Chop Rock in perfect conditions in 12 hours a few years back:http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...May-13-14-2012. Super fun. Hope your conditions are just as good!

Ken

Thanks everyone for their advice. Just wanted to update you.

Neon:
    Did Neon on Saturday. I was there last August and water was so high that we did not bother rappelling from anything but the cathedral. This weekend the water was about 4 feet lower than what I last experienced. The water level was right at the keeper's lip. It was much funner seeing Neon like this.

Choprock:
    Sunday was Choprock day and it turned into a scouting trip. We started at Fence and somehow missed the shortcut. By the time it was noon thirty we were barely below the first mesa so we decided to call it off and dump our packs and wetsuits to go explore. We made it to the east edge of the first mesa and were able to get a view of the next chunk of the approach. Then hiked down and on the way back to camp we spotted the shortcut.

Definitely feeling more comfortable getting there now, and super excited to get back.
    www.drwobot.com

19. Likes nkanarik, Iceaxe liked this post
    Here are a few pictures from Neon.
    Name:  IMG_0759.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  93.8 KBName:  IMG_0760.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  89.7 KBName:  IMG_0773.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  102.3 KB