Thread: Leprechaun Canyon Right (East) Fork February 20, 2016

Leprechaun Canyon Right (East) Fork February 20, 2016

Took advantage of a gorgeous Saturday in late February to get a little taste of springtime in the desert. We had a very large group that wanted to do the same and so I figured Leprechaun fit the criteria for an early spring canyon.

Large group, including a few on their first canyoneering experience.

Diving Board.

My son Brandon (12).

My youngest son Trevor (8) taking the lead with Brandon close behind.

Trevor found a spot just his size.

These two could go high or low.

But they had more fun going high.

Some of our group exiting the 2nd slot section.

The third section is pretty tight, especially if you are dragging a pack that's too big.

Lots of fun downclimbs.

Brandon waiting for the next victim to come along...

Trevor starting to feel comfortable rappelling solo again.

We had time so we went up Belfast Boulevard as far as we could. Pretty tight.

I made it to the rockfall, but Brandon went on up a ways.

The hike out of the canyon was spectacular...honeybees were busy working on a pussy willow in bloom.

Couldn't ask for a more beautiful day in the North Wash.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Sweet!

Leprechaun is a great first tech canyon to take noob's and kids through. It was one of the first technical canyons I took my kids through.

nice !! so does leprechaun technical part usually have water, huh?

I would say the "normal" condition in Leprechaun is to expect a short section of knee to waist deep water.... but a lot just depends on how the last storm rearranged the sand dams.

I've done the canyon without getting my feet wet and I've had to swim before... that's part of the appeal of canyoneering... you just never know :-)

The sand dams in the non-tech subway like section are currently 2 very deep depressions, about 12' deep each, that resemble waves and would be full on swimmers when full.

Cool to see how different the same canyon can be the next time you go through.

For what its worth I've done all the forks of leprechaun several times and at different times of the year and the worst I've seen was some mid calf pools. I would plan on water to be safe, especially if the days are cooler, but don't be surprised if you don't see any.

That said one of the trips where I did this and saw dry conditions I went and did morocco the next day which can hold water but usually you can avoid most of it, and we had full on swimmers at almost every drop so moral is conditions can vary greatly even in nearby canyons.

FWIW: We did Leprechaun once on the tail end of a flash flood and we found quicksand in the Subway section that was 5' to 6' deep. It scared the shit out of me as I had never seen anything like it before. The part that really freaked me out was my kids were with me and they were only 4' tall at the time.

I did noticed something very interesting. The quick sand formed where a chokestone near ground lever forced the flashing water to "boil" the sand on the far side. The section of quick sand was wall to wall and about 10-yards in length. It was really freaky and the only time I've encountered anything like it before in a slot canyon. I've encountered small sections of quicksand before in slots, but nothing like this. This time it was more like movie quick sand.

thanks all ! i love the knowledge of you all...i havent been on Bogley for awhile.........i realized today how much I miss it ! Such great stuff on here and good people !

11. Likes Sandstone Addiction, jman liked this post