Thread: Pottymouth

Pottymouth

On February 17th, 2016, Stephanie and I did a quick lap through Pottymouth Canyon.

The canyon starts out fun and easy then finishes with an intimidating choice. Should we climb down a very narrow chimney into freezing water of unknown depth, then hope to pass through a very narrow slot? Or; should we stem across the top some 30 feet from the canyon floor?

The slot looked to narrow for me. If I dropped into the water and could not proceed forward, then upclimbing that slot would be next to impossible. Offwidth. Probably slicked with mud. Could be a death trap if the water is deep... my imagination likely running away, I know. The choice was agonizing for Steph. She was not familiar with stemming at that height. Plus she fits through any passable slot. But that water had been snow in the very recent past and we had minimal cold protection.

So across the top we went!

We found a safe place to climb down then went around a corner... dammit! More freshly melted snow! Thigh deep too!

After Pottymouth we scouted part of Warm Springs, but not quite down to the lake. Without wetsuits a pothole too full and too cold blocked the way. But it was good to get familiar with the area. I feel a bout of Sinusitis coming on!

-Bob

Name:  P1030560.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  124.4 KB

Name:  P1030566.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  97.2 KB

Name:  P1030574.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  146.5 KB

Name:  P1030579.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  266.9 KB

Name:  P1030582.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  150.7 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice report and good pics as always, Bob. You always do a great job of presenting the "psychological" aspect of canyoneering. So when do we get your report on HDH? Was looking forward to see what you had to say about that one.

4. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    Nice report and good pics as always, Bob. You always do a great job of presenting the "psychological" aspect of canyoneering. So when do we get your report on HDH? Was looking forward to see what you had to say about that one.
    Thanks for the kind words, Tim.

I'm as stoked to write it as you are to read it. But first my kids want to play with this person called 'Dad'. So now I have to figure out who they are talking about, then I'll find some time to write a story that does justice.

Soon.

6. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Tinnitus and Sinitus will get your attention.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum