Thread: 02/13/16 - Snow Canyon S.P. - (Johnson) Arch Canyon

Blog Entries

02/13/16 - Snow Canyon S.P. - (Johnson) Arch Canyon

It was a great weekend to escape the inversion and cold up in Salt Lake City; and so a lady-friend of mine and myself was wanting a quick and easy canyon adventure and near St. George. Enter Johnson Arch Canyon which is in Snow Canyon State Park near Ivins, Utah.

Tom on CUSA calls it "urban canyoneering" and indeed it is! The trailhead starts between two homes, has anywhere from 4-6 rappels (depending on your canyoneering/downclimbing level), has a easy mile exit and passes the namesake arch of the route - Johnson Arch.

The permit is $8 for a group of up to 6 people. And currently, the State Park only allows 24 people a day. This adventure is time-limited and only available from September 15 through March 14. The rest of the year it is closed due to raptor season or raptor mating season.

The only way to get a permit is online (and print it). And no, thankfully no, you do not need a entrance pass to enter the State Park as it is in a so-called "no-fee zone". For now....anyways...

You don't need any 4x4 or high-clearance vehicle for any of this, which is nice. Any standard car will be just fine.

The longest rappel, according to Tom is 195feet. By a long-shot, that was my favorite rap. The other raps have their charm, but all of them combine make this a good choice for a good beginner canyon, and as Shane says in all of his beta, "with competent leadership". Completely true. Nothing exceptionally difficult. Even the last rap can be bypassed if absolutely necessary (with some good route-finding to the adjacent canyon).

All of the raps are bolted. But as always, frequently inspect them if you go.

We wore wetsuits, since this was a canyon new to ALL of us, but if I were to do it again, I would pass on the wetsuit - unless it was on a non-sunny day, or if a large and slow group was going.

Overview of the entire hike:
    Name:  Snow Canyon - 1.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  95.7 KB

The actual canyon portion. Not a "slot" canyon at all, but it has it's "slotty" moments, which make it enjoyable just enough. Plus the challenge of water and a great last-rap make it a good "urban" canyon.
    Name:  Snow Canyon - 2.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  107.8 KB

At the trailhead, walking between the two homes:
    Name:  IMG_1722.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  79.7 KB

Walking along the "Gila" trail towards the canyon.
    Name:  IMG_1727.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  104.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1728.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  126.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1729.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  90.8 KB

Here is an "official" sign welcoming you into the Canyon. Permit needed.
    Name:  IMG_1733.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  168.8 KB

At the first, "rappel" or down-climb. We prefer downclimbing everything.

Name:  IMG_1744.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  164.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1739.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  105.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1737.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  119.3 KB

Walk 3 more minutes to the next "rappel". Fortunately, and described by Tom on the "Betabase" you can bypass this pool by hiking north 10 feet into a tunnel/cave and down-climbing the sequence.
    The people in our group REALLY liked this area. A small grotto. Cool indeed!

Name:  IMG_1750.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  74.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1756.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  92.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1753.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  183.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1748.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  76.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1746.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  81.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1751.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  103.0 KB

Arriving NOW at the 3rd rap (or 1st forced one):

Name:  IMG_1769.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  73.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1773.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  99.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1771.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  77.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1770.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  82.8 KB

After this, walk 10feet, under a chockstone, to the next rappel. This one is about 20feet into waist deep water.

Name:  IMG_1774.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  78.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1781.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  102.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1776.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  162.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1783.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  105.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1791.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  103.3 KB

Walk the next 20 feet to the 4th rap (2nd one for us) to the 140ft rap. This one reminded me A LOT of the 1st rap in Spry Canyon in Zion National Park. This canyon's rappels, progressively get more challenging with each subsequent one.

Btw, the rope pull is easier if you get as close to the north wall as possible, compared to the south wall, or where the drainage wants to deposit you.

Name:  IMG_1793.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  93.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1795.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  79.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1792.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  92.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1796.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  80.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1800.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  91.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1799.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  100.8 KB

After this, it just a little ways of a walk and a few more downclimbs until the best and final rap.

Name:  IMG_1804.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  91.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1805.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1806.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1801.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  28.1 KB

Now the 195ft rap. Enjoy it! This will cause the noobs in your group to pucker up a bit. Pay consideration to your rope pulls. Geometry matters a lot with this one we found out!

Name:  IMG_1810.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  75.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1807.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  81.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1811.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  113.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1817.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  140.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1812.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  85.9 KB

Once at the bottom, coil your ropes, walk the path a mile back to your shuttle. That's it!

For us it took 3 hours from car to car with 4 people. I would think 3 hours is a typical time for this canyon. Although repeat attempts could be done in 2 1/2 hours.

I created the KMZ (Google-Earth) file for this canyon and is attached below.. And I think it's going to be the one of the most detailed ones you will find. Hopefully it can be a primer as this canyon gains more attention.

Thanks for reading my Paint-by-numbers beta and report. :) Hopefully it can be useful to others.

Edit: someone asked if I'm in these photos. No, sorry. I seem to be the only one in groups with a camera. Ha

Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sweet! This canyon has been on my hit list for a while but it seem's I'm never down there to do it "in season".

Did you go in the early afternoon? We might have been the group just barely ahead of you... We were on the first long rappel when you were getting to the first mandatory rappel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Did you go in the early afternoon? We might have been the group just barely ahead of you... We were on the first long rappel when you were getting to the first mandatory rappel.
    No sorry. We didn't see anyone all day.

A lot of people that day eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

This link will take you to one of the early descents of what we just called "the Snow Canyon" back then. It was pioneered by Rick and Eric who first bolted it. Scroll down to the Saturday, 1st May post and read on....

http://www.expeditionoverland.com/usa_1.htm

BTW this is the best travel log I have ever seen!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sasteve49 View Post
    This link will take you to one of the early descents of what we just called "the Snow Canyon" back then. It was pioneered by Rick and Eric who first bolted it. Scroll down to the Saturday, 1st May post and read on....

http://www.expeditionoverland.com/usa_1.htm

BTW this is the best travel log I have ever seen!
    Hi Steve, thanks for posting. And thanks for filling us in on the history of that "canyon". To me, it provides context which makes the canyoneering part a little more intimate and you treat it with a little more respect yo.

But I just read through that link. Really cool! 2004...Not too long ago! That is close to when I started college at Dixie State...

Btw - Nyathi rocks! That thing looks like a beast!!
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Someone lead me to where on Tom's site this is?
    Thanks
    Mark

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I did this canyon in the beginning of march. It rained & snowed all night long. We woke up (camping up leeds) to snow on the ground & freezing cold temperatures. We did this canyon later in the afternoon & completed the entire canyon in 2 hours. We did not take wetsuits and only had to wade across one section. IMO I don't think I would ever take a wetsuit through this canyon. Its super short, easy, & fun.

11. Likes 2065toyota liked this post