Thread: Toilet options on Lake Powell

Toilet options on Lake Powell

We are planning to head out for some camping on Lake Powell this July, and will be taking a small 18' powerboat for the trip. I know we need some form of waste disposal equipment (I have been eyeing a porta-john on Amazon with separate water tank and waste tank), but since I have never used this kind of device before, much less on Lake Powell, I had a few questions.
    I know I will need to dump it out, and I know there are a few floating toilets around the lake. Do these facilities have a method for easy dumping of this waste? The porta john has a detachable cartridge that has a large tube that extends for drainage. But I also need to rinse it out; not sure if that exists at these locations. I have hooked a houseboat up to it to dump before, but this is a first for me.
    Do the porta johns need chemicals to assist with breakdown and odor?
    Funny, this to me is the most serious logistical issue I am having with this little jaunt...lol. Food and water and camping gear for our small group is nothing compared to figuring out how to lug our poo around...lol.
    Mountain guy trapped in the wetlands of Florida.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Watch your outboard's prop - I nailed mine on the first day out! We had to return to marina that evg - they replaced it the next morning - free labor but $20 for cheapo aluminum part.

We always carried the mandatory facilities, ours consisted of a 5 gallon bucket, seat and liner. After many days on the lake it was never used for anything but storing seldom used items. What we did do is find a campsite within 5 minutes of the very nice and sanitary floating johns. We were usually on the water headed somewhere fun in the mornings anyhow when mother nature started calling and the floating johns were always conveniently located.

Oh yea, always keep an eye out for water that goes from dark blue to bright green. That is a sure sign of shallow underwater hazards that can come up quickly. Be extra cautious in areas where you are boating over the top of the Navajo Sandstone layer.

That is kind of the route I was thinking of taking. Most of the camping spots I am looking at are near the floating toilets, so I think I may just stick with that game plan... we spent a week out on the lake in a houseboat a few years back, and I had to navigate that 75 footer around some of those obstacles. I heard about the horror stories.

This is the one we had. We owned our boat for about 5 years and we never had to use it for anything but storing stuff.

Name:  Luggable-Loo-Portable-Toilet-9853-03.jpg
Views: 2121
Size:  52.8 KB

I wonder if the "RESTOP Disposable Travel Toilet" would be in compliance? That would be my choice if it is...

Name:  RESTOP.JPG
Views: 1297
Size:  64.7 KB

7. Likes rich67 liked this post
    The Luggable Loo seems like the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone 6

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Lake Powell Shoreline Primitive Camping
    When planning a camping trip by boat or 4-wheel drive road in Glen Canyon, it is best to buy a map beforehand. These show the side canyons, good hiking spots, points of interest and marinas, explain the navigation system, and may give fishing information.
    In an emergency you will need to report your location on Marine Band 16 or call 911.
    There is no camping fee or permit required to camp on the lake in undeveloped areas. However, entrance fees and vessel use fees apply. You can camp anywhere on the shorelines of Lake Powell except in developed marinas.
    The main channel varies in depth from 100 – 600 feet deep. It is recommended that you anchor on a beach for the night as high winds can move boats into rocks causing damage. There are no motor vehicles, ORVs or bicycles allowed in Glen Canyon's roadless areas.
    All campsites are required to have a portable toilet unless toilets are available on the vessel or are within 200 yards of the campsite. Regular water quality checks are done to ensure compliance with sanitation laws. Pets are allowed on beaches as long as waste is cleaned up. Dispose of waste properly. Burying waste of any kind on the beach is prohibited. Waste may not be contained in plastic bags unless it is a NPS approved Waste Bag Containment System, which must be disposed of in the trash.
    When anchoring multiple houseboats on the same beach, park at least 100 feet apart to help reduce carbon monoxide buildup. It is not a good idea to tie powerboat or jet-ski lines to houseboat anchor lines as they can cause the anchor lines to come loose. Do not camp under overhanging rocks as down pouring rain can sink a vessel. Ground fires of only wood are allowed below the high water line. Fires must be contained to 4 feet wide and 4 feet high. Fireworks are illegal.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Michael Kelsey is putting the finishing touches on his latest edition (#6?) of his Boater's Guide to Lake Powell guidebook and should be available soon. His Lake Powell guidebook has an enormous amount of info about hiking/canyoneering opportunities along the entire length of Lake Powell and also contains a lot of the history of the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Michael Kelsey is putting the finishing touches on his latest edition (#6?) of his Boater's Guide to Lake Powell guidebook and should be available soon. His Lake Powell guidebook has an enormous amount of info about hiking/canyoneering opportunities along the entire length of Lake Powell and also contains a lot of the history of the area.
    An EXCELLENT book. I have the 5th edition. I have been using it to plan campsites and side hikes. I will be posting up a trip report for sure on this trip. We are heading from Florida to Sedona, Lake Powell, Bryce Canyon, Ouray Co., then back to Florida.

12. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post