Thread: Canyoneering backpack - IceCube vs. Heaps

Canyoneering backpack - IceCube vs. Heaps

I hope I'm not starting a war here as I like both C-USA and CanyonWerks, but was hoping to solicit some unbiased opinions regarding the new CUSA-Heaps pack vs. CanyonWerks-Ice-Cube pack.
    • The thing I like the most about the Heap: Size goes up to 56L (vs. the 42L IceCube)
      • Heaps being ~1lb. lighter is an advantage, but not make it or break it for me when compared with IceCube

• The thing I like the most about the Icepack: Seems to be more durable (opinions are welcome on the Heaps material durability)

2. Likes harness man liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hi nkanarik!
    I am hardly an "un-biased" reviewer, but one consideration worth mentioning (while it pains me to say it)
    is that the CANYONWERKS Ice Cube packs are currently out of production (only some extra small sizes available), while 2016 IMLAY packs (including the Heaps) are just arrived.
    /
    Best,
    Todd

5. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nkanarik View Post
    I hope I'm not starting a war here as I like both C-USA and CanyonWerks, but was hoping to solicit some unbiased opinions regarding the new CUSA-Heaps pack vs. CanyonWerks-Ice-Cube pack.
    • The thing I like the most about the Heap: Size goes up to 56L (vs. the 42L IceCube)
      • Heaps being ~1lb. lighter is an advantage, but not make it or break it for me when compared with IceCube

• The thing I like the most about the Icepack: Seems to be more durable (opinions are welcome on the Heaps material durability)
    Are you looking for an upgrade from a current Imlay Canyon Gear pack (from CUSA)? Or is this your first big canyoneering pack and just need help deciding between the two?

And which canyoneering area are you mostly in?

MY opinion is that the IceCube is more durable in Class-C conditions because of that vinyl laminate on the outside compared to fabric. However, the CUSA "hybrids" have more laminate material which adds to the durability.

And I personally think the suspension is a *tad* better on the IceCube than the Heaps. But not by much.

I'm the mule of the group. Meaning I carry the heavy load of the ropes, first-aid, water treatment, plus my own stuff. Mainly because I choose too for the exercise. :) With that, HOW we carry a heavy backpack and HOW the load is distributed on our backs for 12hours+ (heck, even 4 hours is enough!) is a REALLY important feature to look for in a pack.

But that's just for my body type - 190lbs @ 6ft 0", 32 years-old. In good shape. (42" inch chest, I think??? I'll have to measure again. I have no idea actually).

Both are made by ACTUAL canyoneers (one being Tom of CUSA aka @ratagonia on Bogley, or Tom Jones on Canyon Collective; and @harness man on Bogley and Rapterman on Canyon Collective). I'm not sure if you knew that or not...but that goes a long way in my opinion in knowing if its a good pack or not. As they KNOW the sport rather than just some marketing team.

That's just one or two things on the top of my head.. Not technical at all, but anecdotal, real-world experience.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

7. Likes harness man liked this post
    Thx Jman...
    • Yes...I'm the mule too...100% agree with your comments above regarding suspension (I'm 39, 6'0, 220lbs, 45" chest...~10-15 lbs heavier than I was in age 32, but still in pretty good shape )
    • Yes...I know those are designed by Todd and Tom and have HUGE respect to both!!! This is why I'm torn
    • This would be my 1st investment in a true canyoneering backpck. Up until now, I've used some cheapo backpack that I threw away after a week long canyoneering trip.
    • Planning on doing Heaps (overnight) and Imlay this spring, but not only
    • Each year I pick different locations in UT (Zion, Escalante, SRS, Moab, etc.) - I try to avoid those skinny / chimney like canyons though (e.g. mae-west style)

9. Likes harness man liked this post
    If you need a pack now, the Imlay Heaps and Kolob (and the new women's versions!) are the only contenders.
    With excellent suspension, drainage, durability, and canyon specific shape at a surprisingly low weight these packs set the standard (which we have tried to improve upon!)
    The Euro bags (Rodcle) are suspension-less "sacks with straps" and not even in the same class.
    Best,
    Todd

11. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Thank you for those of you who have asked.
    While we really love our ICE CUBE packs,we
    (at Canyonwerks) are scrambling to keep up with orders for CRITR2's and rope bags and will NOT have enough capacity
    to produce any more packs for April....or May.....
    Tom is your guy for info on his latest upgrades and the new production run for Imlay packs.

13. Likes nkanarik liked this post
    Thank you Todd! Made the decision easy for me