Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Utah Snowpack

Blog Entries

2016 Utah Snowpack

Speaking of all the recent snow Utah has received, I was curious to Utah's snow level thus far.

From KSL.com (and data as of 2/1/16)

Better than the previous years...

Name:  snow1.JPG
Views: 818
Size:  124.0 KB

Name:  test2.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  126.5 KB
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction, accadacca liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It's been a great year so far...

Bring it on. 30" of new on Cedar Mtn. Bringing the settled total to over 80". Heading up tomorrow to hit the fresh powder on our sleds

6. Likes jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Here's an updated, one-month change:

Name:  feb - snowpack.JPG
Views: 533
Size:  116.6 KB

Name:  snowpack2.JPG
Views: 546
Size:  98.7 KB

Now lets see how March holds up...
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

It's been a decent snow year, but I'm still glad I didn't buy a season pass anywhere!

The x-country skiing this season has been the best ever. Now conditions suck. I'd have to go back through Strava and figure out my stats but, I'd guess I did about 300 miles in the last 2 and a half months. Now, there's bare, dry ridable dirt in Corner Canyon and Lambert Park to mtn. bike on so, not complaining.
    Are we there yet?

10. Likes jman liked this post
    I'm happy to have it all come in a couple months time and now bring on spring!

Despite Utah's snowpack averaging over 100% at the end of February, the climatologists and KSL paint Utah's situation in a dire and gloomy light:

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=38734987&nid...uickly-melting

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Despite Utah's snowpack averaging over 100% at the end of February, the climatologists and KSL paint Utah's situation in a dire and gloomy light:

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=38734987&nid...uickly-melting
    I think from a water usage standpoint...reason to be gloomy. Most of the population benefits from the northern Utah mountains and their snowpack. Went from 110% and one of the better January's, to, a dismal February in the low 90's. Huge difference in the snowpack in the Wasatch.

We still have snow...but...we best get some more. I skied last night...coverage is starting to get interesting. Hoping for a shot with this next system approaching.

Interesting weather stuff...especially if you pay attention to the snowpack:

http://wasatchweatherweenies.blogspot.com/

Oops, delete
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bogley BigShot
    Southern Utah is not looking good this year.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    Southern Utah is not looking good this year.
    We have been snowmobiling the last 2 weekends. There is still at least 5' of snow on cedar mtn and it is snowing again today. My uncles cabin at kolob also has 5' of snow at it still. I would have to not agree with it not looking good

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    We have been snowmobiling the last 2 weekends. There is still at least 5' of snow on cedar mtn and it is snowing again today. My uncles cabin at kolob also has 5' of snow at it still. I would have to not agree with it not looking good

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Do you know how upper-elevation Zion is looking? Like, wildcat trailhead still have snow? Or east Mesa trail by chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/webmap/...24&monthPart=E

There is weather station near Kolob Resevoir. It is currently reading a snowpack of 55 inches. I havn't been to the East side of Zion for a while so I'm not sure.

The link is an awesome source we use to measure and find good riding areas as many storms are very localized. Once a station is selected, I generally use the 7 day table to check the change in snow depth as it is measured every hour

As of today (3-7-16) Southwestern Utah's snowpack is at 101% and southeastern Utah's snowpack is at 122%.

It's pretty hard for southern Utah to bitch about those numbers if they hold.

21. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    As of today (3-7-16) Southwestern Utah's snowpack is at 101% and southeastern Utah's snowpack is at 122%.

It's pretty hard for southern Utah to bitch about those numbers if they hold.
    Based on the amount of time we spend on the mountain snowmobiling, camping, etc. My opinion is that we have the most snow that we've had in the last 7 years. I've definitely seen a lot more here, but far from drastic conditions.

Blog Entries

2016 Utah Snowpack

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Based on the amount of time we spend on the mountain snowmobiling, camping, etc. My opinion is that we have the most snow that we've had in the last 7 years. I've definitely seen a lot more here, but far from drastic conditions.
    Yea exactly!

Wait...is St. George in a desert??? I thought it is very, VERY, similar to the Oregon coastline, where it rains everyday.

And this whole water management issue is a huge mess. Pulling water out of other parts of the desert (Great Basin NP) to feed Vegas. Incredible growth in the desert where there isn't water available. Watering lawns like there is no tomorrow. Everyone NEEDs to have a pool that they use 10x a year... But hey, that's for another fun thread!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

80% of all water use in the US goes to agriculture. In the western states that number jumps to 90%. So bottomline your swimming pool or extra long shower doesn't really make any difference.

Bogley BigShot
    March 2016 seems to be holding strong, but we often get one more snow storm and it melts off within hours and then we have to hold our own, while north gets a lot more snow, rain and so forth. I predict it will be a fairly decent year in Southern Utah if the figures keep dropping as I see on this page because that means precipitation is slowly absorbing instead of drying out immediately this year, as it has in the past, and in addition, I don't think a dry year will affect much this year because the Colorado River is doing well, and without its influence the west would have dried up long ago. Also, there is a factor of flash flooding, storm release and overall satisfaction of thunderstorms during the best of the canyoneering here, that while annoying bring a lot of needed weather to our inherent desert of the southwest Utah, Arizona and northern Nevada section of the U.S.