Thread: Wetsuit Recommendations

Wetsuit Recommendations

I am looking to buy my first wetsuit in the next few weeks and am at a loss on what to get. I plan to use it for going through basic canyons during the spring through fall months. I am just a beginner so I do not plan on going through any major canyons. When looking at websites like the TommyDSports site I get overwhelmed in the options. Do you recommend the traditional full suit or should I go with the Farmer John style or a shorty style. I don't get cold very easily so am wondering is it best to go with 3mm or 5mm? I would assume that 7mm would probably not be needed.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You want a full wetsuit. The wetsuit I use 90% of the time is a full 3mm, and I have at least one of every wetsuit you can think of.

I like rear zip wetsuits for everything but canyoneering, where I prefer a front zip so I can unzip it and cool off on long walks between potholes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    You want a full wetsuit. The wetsuit I use 90% of the time is a full 3mm, and I have at least one of every wetsuit you can think of.

I like rear zip wetsuits for everything but canyoneering, where I prefer a front zip so I can unzip it and cool off on long walks between potholes.
    X2
    I do the exact same thing.

My go to is typically the 3mm full wetsuit for nearly everything from April to October. Summer has the shorties like for the subway and other Zion canyons. But really though, being warmer and comfortable is worth the weight plus as well as making the trip much, much more enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    I am looking to buy my first wetsuit in the next few weeks and am at a loss on what to get. I plan to use it for going through basic canyons during the spring through fall months. I am just a beginner so I do not plan on going through any major canyons. When looking at websites like the TommyDSports site I get overwhelmed in the options. Do you recommend the traditional full suit or should I go with the Farmer John style or a shorty style. I don't get cold very easily so am wondering is it best to go with 3mm or 5mm? I would assume that 7mm would probably not be needed.

Thanks
    Whatever you do, get some cheap board shorts and a long sleeve polyester shirt to wear over your wetsuit to protect it. I also wear knee and elbow pads pretty much everywhere but Zion.

Get a 3mm for all round use and buy a 1.5 or 2mm vest to use for colder conditions.

don't forget to check Thrift stores and Craigslist - your suit will get trashed - so used is just fine

I have no clue what you guys do to trash your wetsuits but I've been using the same one for the past 10 years and I do a lot more canyons than your average canyoneer. And I don't bother with clothing over the top. I do armor some of my high exposure seams with shoe goo but that's the extent of it. Yes, my wetsuit shows some wear but it has been heavily used. I paid $50 for the suit so that breaks down to about $5 a year so if it's destroyed tomorrow it's not a huge loss, but I'll probably get another 5 years out of it. YMMV

Thanks for everybodies feedback. The one 3mm I have been looking at is only $79 so for the price I am not too concerned with finding one used to save a few bucks. I will likely invest in a pair of the Neoprene shorts to wear over it as I am new to the sport and am sure I will be harder on the suit than most. I won't be going a ton but i hope to definitely get my money's worth out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    I will likely invest in a pair of the Neoprene shorts to wear over it as I am new to the sport and am sure I will be harder on the suit than most.
    If you're going to do that you don't want neoprene shorts. You want the cheapest pair of gym/board shorts you can find, or even better is the old pair of gym/ board shorts sitting at the bottom of your closest that you no longer wear.

10. Likes Bootboy liked this post

Wetsuit Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    If you're going to do that you don't want neoprene shorts. You want the cheapest pair of gym/board shorts you can find, or even better is the old pair of gym/ board shorts sitting at the bottom of your closest that you no longer wear.
    If you're not thrashing an unprotected wetsuit then we are obviously canyoning in different venues.... We ghost 90% of what we do and so sliding while capturing and soft-setting ghost anchors can kill an unprotected wetsuit in a hurry. That said, I have one wetsuit with well over a hundred canyons on it and it has held up fine because of the stuff I wear over it.

I use the golds gym neo shorts that I have covered in a clear sealant to make them close to bomb proof. My last pair had ~60 canyons on them and my wetsuit is immaculate.

Either way, cheap protection for your wetsuit is never a bad idea.