Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BYU suckerpunch collage

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    I'd love to pile on byu here, but screw the NCAA. I think every player should be able to get what they can. The sham that is amateurism in college football and basketball needs to end. Coaches make millions, schools make millions, tv makes millions, advertisers pay and make millions, Rose Bowl tickets are $250 a pop, but somehow if a kid gets a free meal or two he's a bad guy? Terrell Pryor goes down in flames because he sells his jersey, but Ohio State offers its donors the chance to attend dinner with players for $5,000 a head. How is that fair? Alabama is investing $600 million into their facilities. That is the equivalent of paying every member of their football team $50k a year for 100 years, but somehow if you pay players the system will fail?

I'd like to see the NCAA go to an Olympics style of amateurism, where the player are able to get paid from sponsors and donors. Doesn't cost the school a thing but at least the players are able to profit from their talents. I think they call that capitalism.
    While I agree with pretty much all of this, I think the NCAA's take is that if the players get financially compensated while enrolled then that will become the focus of their college experience. It would detract from them getting an education.

Besides, if you're good enough to attract sponsors while in college then you're most likely good enough to be playing professionally upon graduation anyways.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    While I agree with pretty much all of this, I think the NCAA's take is that if the players get financially compensated while enrolled then that will become the focus of their college experience. It would detract from them getting an education.

Besides, if you're good enough to attract sponsors while in college then you're most likely good enough to be playing professionally upon graduation anyways.
    The NCAA may say that, but they are full of it. They are just trying to protect their no labor cost, cash cow. Just look no further than any other NCAA scholarship. If I get a music scholarship, I can still get paid on gigs outside of the school. Same goes for any other scholarship outside of athletics. And just because you can potentially make cash later doesn't really change anything. But I think a bunch of kids could get paid while in school but probably not once they are done. Take Louie Sakoda as an example. I would bet he could have made a decent bit of coin his senior year as some type of spokesman for local businesses. But once he couldn't get a pro kicking job, not a chance.

BTW, what happened to Sakoda? He was a great kicker and a great punter who had no problem nailing kicks under pressure. How did he not get a job?

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    BTW, what happened to Sakoda? He was a great kicker and a great punter who had no problem nailing kicks under pressure. How did he not get a job?
    Sakoda just didn't have a big enough leg to make the next step. There were 10 other guys standing in front of him who were just as good and could kick the ball 10-yards further.

As an ex-professional athlete I can tell you the jump from amateur to pro is MASSIVE. With apologies to Uncle Rico most people are completely clueless to how huge the jump to professional is. And at the moment however large you are imagining in your head that jump is multiple it by 1000 and you might be getting close.

Climb-Utah.com

I think Matt Gay has the leg for it.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I think Matt Gay has the leg for it.
    Yup... The problem is there are only 32 jobs and 7.7 billion people who would like to have one of those 32 well paying jobs.

Climb-Utah.com

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    With apologies to Uncle Rico....

It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.