Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BYU suckerpunch collage

BYU suckerpunch collage

When Max Hall brazenly accused the Utes of being classless during his "I hate Utah" temper tantrum so many years ago, he must've been suffering from a severe form of denial:

http://byu.blue/

If cougar fan is wondering why Utah is so eager to opt out of a game against them if possible, this link might give some insight.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

And this doesn't happen at any other school? Please.... I watch my share of football and this stuff goes on in EVERY program and in many if not most games. Pretty sure if someone were motivated they could do the same compilation of video clips for virtually every team in the country. Some cougar fan with nothing to do will probably respond with a montage of their own if it doesn't already exist out there on the interwebs.

To try to justify coach Krystkowiak's and Chris Hill's decision regarding the basketball rivalry by those videos is laughable. You gotta do better than that to justify the recent decision. Apples and oranges. Heck, football had a reason to put a pause to the rivalry, the Michigan series. Now we (Cougars and Utes) are back playing again, DESPITE your little video montage.

Don't get me wrong. I wish none of what you posted would have ever happened and the cheap stuff is not justifiable. I like clean games and I coach my players to play clean from the time they start playing sports. But those things you posted happened, they were dealt with like every other school, and the games go on - except for with a fearful Ute basketball program.
    Life is Good

4. Likes jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    And this doesn't happen at any other school?
    Other schools don't bear the name Brigham Young and represent the LDS Church...

My understanding is that one of the things Utah and BYU have in common -- Brigham Young started both! (winky wink)
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Other schools don't bear the name Brigham Young and represent the LDS Church...
    If I have come off like a jerk, I apologize. You are correct, BYU does carry Brigham Young's name and the football team in a round about way does represent the church to which I belong. That is why I am quite certain that every player that got kicked out of a game or in any way made BYU look bad had internal discipline and a guilt-laced chewing out by someone. I also cringe a bit when these things happen knowing what you stated about the founder and the church affiliation to be true. But at the end of the day, these are 18 (and up) year old imperfect boys and young men playing a a violent and passionate sport (football that is). Sometimes, and unfortunately, emotions get the better of them. What no member of the church has ever said is that we are perfect. No member of the church (in their right mind) thinks BYU is perfect. I certainly don't, and I went there and I was an adjunct professor there. No member would ever consider the football team as perfect.
    Life is Good

8. Likes jman liked this post
    Certainly not perfect, but I would expect better discipline then what I've seen recently. They should understand common sense and who they represent, but it just keeps happening.

"In less than 12 months, the BYU football team and men's basketball team has had at least four incidents of a player punching an opponent during a game. Each was caught on tape, available for replay as many times as a viewer desired."

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=38204144&nid...s_cid=toppick1

It's a good article that definitely deserves a read - just don't read the comments...there's more mudslinging than a presidential debate in there.

I love reading the comments... BYU fans are a funny lot... BYU gets attacked by the local church owned news for dirty play and some how 90% of the comments contain a reference to way it's all Utah's fault.

When the roles are reversed, say a Ute getting caught fighting in a bar, you will never see mention of BYU in the comments section by Utah fans.

The more this goes on, the more I understand Utah pulling away from the rivalry in recent years. The little brother syndrome is getting really bad with some BYU fans.

13. Likes gholt liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The more this goes on, the more I understand Utah pulling away from the rivalry in recent years. The little brother syndrome is getting really bad with some BYU fans.
    Yes, but BYU fan will interpret this "pulling away" as conceit and snobbery. Like that Ute fan thinks he's soooo much better now that Utah belongs to the Pac12....when in reality Utah fan just doesn't care about the rivalry anymore.

It's indifference not indignation that's driving Ute fan's attitudes these days IMO.

I haven't lost any sleep over it. Cougar fans on the other hand are getting extremely ButtHurt. We've all been dumped...yeah it sucks.

I just love how both sides love to speak in extreme's and generalities on every one of these issues and know so much about why the other side is doing what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent K25 View Post
    I just love how both sides love to speak in extreme's and generalities on every one of these issues and know so much about why the other side is doing what they're doing.
    Ok...so what's YOUR take?

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Ok...so what's YOUR take?
    My take is I don't know why Utah or BYU fans do what they do and I don't lump them all into one big stereotype either.

^^^ *ahem* Once again I will point out that if I had global mod status I could delete/ban this kind of garbage. But since that hasn't happened I will merely sit here and watch someone else clean up the mess.

Carry on...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

What exactly needs to be deleted or banned here? The thread you started and then bumped nearly a full year later?

Quote Originally Posted by Kent K25 View Post
    What exactly needs to be deleted or banned here? The thread you started and then bumped nearly a full year later?
    Nope, no bump on my part. There is a very persistent spammer that keeps posting advertisements in some funky language that nobody can read. They've been cropping up all over this forum in all different sections.

Twas this spammer that did the bumping, not I. Apparently, I am only a mod on paper, as I have no mod abilities to delete posts. Otherwise I would have just deleted that spam, instead of calling attention to it.

That makes a lot more sense...the spam was gone when I got to the post and I couldn't for the life of me understand why you would bump this post and say that :) My bad!

The investigation found that 4 BYU boosters provided more than $12,000 in extra benefits to Nick Emery, including vacations, cash, meals, free rounds of golf and the use of a car.

NCAA requires BYU basketball to vacate 47 wins, other penalties for role in Nick Emery case

https://www.facebook.com/68771464171...7105392409172/

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    The investigation found that 4 BYU boosters provided more than $12,000 in extra benefits to Nick Emery, including vacations, cash, meals, free rounds of golf and the use of a car.

NCAA requires BYU basketball to vacate 47 wins, other penalties for role in Nick Emery case

https://www.facebook.com/68771464171...7105392409172/
    I'd love to pile on byu here, but screw the NCAA. I think every player should be able to get what they can. The sham that is amateurism in college football and basketball needs to end. Coaches make millions, schools make millions, tv makes millions, advertisers pay and make millions, Rose Bowl tickets are $250 a pop, but somehow if a kid gets a free meal or two he's a bad guy? Terrell Pryor goes down in flames because he sells his jersey, but Ohio State offers its donors the chance to attend dinner with players for $5,000 a head. How is that fair? Alabama is investing $600 million into their facilities. That is the equivalent of paying every member of their football team $50k a year for 100 years, but somehow if you pay players the system will fail?

I'd like to see the NCAA go to an Olympics style of amateurism, where the player are able to get paid from sponsors and donors. Doesn't cost the school a thing but at least the players are able to profit from their talents. I think they call that capitalism.