Thread: a Woodside, Utah exploration

Blog Entries

a Woodside, Utah exploration

Edit: I'm not sure why the pictures are rotated as they are displayed correctly on my PC???

You know that small and what appears to be an abandoned town, on your way to Moab coming from Salt Lake City? A town that once boasted a cold-water CO2 geyser.

I have talked about it a few times here on Bogley but have never stopped there except for once a few years back and that was when I randomly drove on a road behind the town that led to to the Woodside Cemetery.

Well, back in November 2015, my mother and I on our way back from a week-long Moab family trip - spent about an hour and half and took a few pictures and explored this town.

There isn't a lot of pictures of the town. Even the information online is scant. There are a few paragraphs created by a great-grandson (?) of one of the settlers for a Boy Scouts: Eagle Project. This is located on plaque by a gate that surrounds the cemetery.

Name:  IMG_1835.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  115.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1836.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  108.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1837.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  112.5 KB

It Reads:

"The Post Office Department changed the name of Lower Crossing to Woodside. Among the first settlers were Henry Hutchenson, Pete Peterson, Scott Miller, Joe Curtis, Bradley Rutts, Walker Carswell, Pete and Abe Liddell, the Sandersons, Colemans, Watertons, Turners, McPhersons, Pressets and Seamountains. The early community consisted of a railroad station, section house, and a water tank. Nearby was a farm owned by three Swiss brothers name Louis, Felix and Bert Presset. Pressets and Petersons raised sugar cane to press into sorghum and molasses. Honey, gathered from wild beehives, along with flour and salt shipped in from Salt Lake City provided their food basics. Poker Pete owned the only commercial establishment. He lived in a two-room cabin along with a stock of overalls, flour, coffee, tobacco, salt and a large supply of whiskey and beer. He also had a table for player poker.

The early population included Chinese section hands. Cattle outfits came to Woodside for their mail and freight. Dances were held in an abandoned log schoolhouse. Candles consisting of a string and Tallow soap (grease, ashes and rabbit brush), provided light. Slickam or find ground sugar cane provided the floor. Felix Presset played the concertina with Tom Dilly accompanying him on the mouth organ.

Woodside's population grew as demands on the railroad continued. Extensions were planned for a shorter route from Woodside to Salina across the San Rafael desert and Cedar Mountain. The population peaked at 300, sometime between 1910-1920. At that time the town included a railroad hotel, depot and many railroad houses. Several cattlemen used Woodside as their headquarters of operation, including Preston Nutter, the Mays, Downards and McPhersons."

-Jon S Pressett, Eagle Scout Project 1995.

Two more pics of the cemetery. I wish I took more pics of the cemetery. Perhaps next visit. It is a fascinating place. If you are in the area, I would suggest a visit. You will humbled by the area and wonder "how did they even live out here?"

Name:  IMG_1838.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1839.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  107.6 KB

We drove down the road about 1/2 mile and headed towards a fence which guards the town and this geyser which I have heard so much about. Be careful where you walk, there is a LOT of garbage, holes in the ground, broken glass and wire, and old nails.

Name:  IMG_1841.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  41.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1842.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  58.5 KB

And here is the geyser as of Oct 2015. Not a drop in sight. And from the looks of it, it appears that is hasn't been operational for MANY years. I believe someone said that after the town closed itself down, they used a backhoe and covered it. You can obviously tell where the geyser was, but don't get your hopes up of seeing it spurt.

Here is a picture of it back in the glory years...

Name:  99119.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  48.9 KB

It was fascinating to look at old pictures and compare the site to what it is now. One can only imagine.

There is much to see here and explore but time was ticking as the sun was setting...

Name:  IMG_1843.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  113.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1844.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1845.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  118.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1847.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1852.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  69.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1855.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  60.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1859.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  74.5 KB

This is the house that you can see from the road. It looked like it was the "best" house back in the day. Multiple rooms, two bathrooms, two garages, basement and a (now collapsed) food storage unit.

Here are some shots of the house:

Name:  IMG_1860.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  76.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1861.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1862.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  58.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1863.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  77.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1865.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  67.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1866.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  77.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1868.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  61.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1869.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  68.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1870.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  121.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1871.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  89.6 KB
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Edit: I'm not sure why the pictures are rotated as they are displayed correctly on my PC???
    What device were the photos shot from?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    What device were the photos shot from?
    An iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I believe someone said that after the town closed itself down, they used a backhoe and covered it. You can obviously tell where the geyser was, but don't get your hopes up of seeing it spurt.
    They geyser was still there in the early or mid 1990's when I saw it. It was very active though. The guy at the gas station (now closed) showed it to us. He also said it contains not only carbon dioxide, but also helium.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I believe someone said that after the town closed itself down, they used a backhoe and covered it. You can obviously tell where the geyser was, but don't get your hopes up of seeing it spurt.
    They geyser was still there in the early or mid 1990's when I saw it. It wasn't as active as it was in the past though. The guy at the gas station (now closed) showed it to us. He also said it contains not only carbon dioxide, but also helium.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

7. Likes Corey liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    An iPhone.

I have had problems with the pictures on my iPhone doing that. It happens all the time when I upload to ksl classifieds. I have to open them up and rotate them with an editing program, just go through the motions, then re-save and they work. No clue why.

Can someone fix it?

I would love to see the pics, without standing on my head.
    @jman , facinating story, I had no idea there was a geyser there. Thanks for the history.

Blog Entries
    Okay thanks guys. I'll try that tonight and fix them.

Sorry for making you stand on your head! Ha ha

"SEND IT, BRO!!"