Thread: Buckskin Gulch (not through)

Buckskin Gulch (not through)

Hello, I was hoping to get some help planning a day hike into Buckskin gulch next weekend (1/16/16).
    Was hoping I could go in at Buckskin/Wirepass (suggestion?) and come back out the same while hopefully staying dry.
    Does anyone know how well this place retains water?
    Since we've recently had significant precipitation, I'm wondering how far I can get without getting wet.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've been through Buckskin at least a dozen time and the water depth just depends on how the sand dams have been positioned from storm to storm and not so much on how recent the last storm was.

As a general rule you will often encounter wading soon after Wire Pass joins Buckskin.... but who knows... I've done the route without getting my feet wet and I've done the route when I've had to swim. If you are willing to wade to knee deep you can often explore as far as you wish.

The one thing I can tell you is the most unreasonable and useless information you can get is from the rangers as they are the most clueless I've ever meet. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Best beta available anywhere on Buckskin is here: http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/buckskin.htm

4. Likes spinesnaper liked this post
    Thank you. Very helpful information.

its as slot canyon - and this is wet weather season? Or at least crazy weather season? Maybe wait a while.

FWIW- Utah slot canyons are usually at their driest during the winter months for a variety of reasons.

8. Likes badwobot liked this post