Thread: Where to go within an hour or two of the Wasatch Front?

Where to go within an hour or two of the Wasatch Front?

My friends and I would like to go snowshoeing on January 23rd. One suggested Donut Falls area. I would like some more possibilities to run past them. Any ideas of places to go where the avalanche danger is minimal would be helpful.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The problem with snowshoeing is most trails are so well traveled that you don't need snow shoes. This really applies to Donut Falls. It also depends on when it snowed last and exactly what type of experience you are looking for.

With that said Corner Canyon often has a lot of good snowshoeing. Mount Grandeur from Church Fork is popular. As mentioned Donut Falls is popular.

In addition to the above, Dog Lake, or the Brighton Lakes Trail (though you have to go through the ski resort), Red Pine Lake, White Pine Lake, and Yellow Jacket Pass are all good choices.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

5. Likes Wasatch Rebel liked this post
    Like Shane says, the popular trails are packed down snow where snowshoes aren't really necessary. Even our snowshoeing trip last week on the Bonneville Shoreline Trail in Ogden was packed down. Plenty of deep snow just aside the trail, but why choose to walk there.

For snowshoes to be fun you'll either have to route your own cross country trail, or pick a less popular trail where there is at least 8" deep snow.

Our trip last week:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...Christmas-Tree

7. Likes Wasatch Rebel liked this post
    FWIW- the main reason I mentioned Corner Canyon is about half the trails there are virgin at the moment and half are heavily packed. So it's the virgin trails I'd be aiming for. Nearly the entire hoof and boot trail system is currently virgin along with Rush... which gives me a great idea... I think I'll snowshoe Rush tomorrow as there is currently 3' to 4' of virgin snow at the top.

A couple pictures from CC this week.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I did Guardsmans Pass last year, but yeah, it had already been packed down and by snowmobiles. Still it was fun.

I'm a trail runner and mountain biker and I'm in Corner Canyon 4 or 5 times a week. I also live next to the canyon. If you decide to do CC just hit me up a couple days before and I'll be able to give you a good suggestion for trails to snowshoe.

11. Likes Wasatch Rebel liked this post
    Snow basin area has lots of marked trails - many miles of them. It's less thn an hour north.

Yellow Fork Canyon is nother nice area - with updated parking complete with new restrooms!

Mill Creek is a good staple area with lots of trails also.

But like Ice said... first tracks to well packed isn't long. I have a set of stretch on traction cleats for the boots. In the past few years I bet I have used them five times as much as my snow shoes!.. too late to the game more often than not.

13. Likes Wasatch Rebel liked this post