Thread: Canyoneering in Nepal

Canyoneering in Nepal

Planning another trip to Nepal. It will be my sixth visit. We have now trained more than 80 Nepali canyon guides there. Our last trip in November and early December of this year included nearly 30 volunteers who worked on shelter-home projects and two schools. We also ran a couple adventure activity days for 50+ children from two orphanages in Kathmandu.

Our mission in May won't include any building projects, but we will be running more adventure activities for orphaned children, helping the canyon guides there establish their own assessment program for certification (following the American Canyoneering Academy model), and helping to upgrade anchors and establishing new routes. The overall objective is to provide new economic opportunities for Nepalis.

If you have been dreaming about a trip to Nepal, this is your opportunity to see the country, experience the culture and provide much needed assistance. Please join us.

DETAILS & RSVP: http://www.meetup.com/ACA-Canyoneeri...nts/227530888/
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

2. Likes Sombeech liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by rcwild View Post
    Planning another trip to Nepal. It will be my sixth visit. We have now trained more than 80 Nepali canyon guides there.
    Just curious, how popular is canyoneering in Nepal? Any pictures, articles or websites on Nepali canyons/canyoneering we can look at to get an idea of the sport over there?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Just curious, how popular is canyoneering in Nepal? Any pictures, articles or websites on Nepali canyons/canyoneering we can look at to get an idea of the sport over there?
    Nepal Canyoneering - by Dan Ransom
    http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/ca.../tale/?i=nepal

6. Likes AJ liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post

Seems like I remember Dan posting a TR with pictures? I searched but no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Seems like I remember Dan posting a TR with pictures? I searched but no luck.
    it's referenced at the bottom of the page with the link to Tom’s Latest Rave

Thanks missed that.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Just curious, how popular is canyoneering in Nepal?

When I first went to Nepal in 2001, I don't recall anyone canyoning there. Last time I went in 2012, there were actually several companies doing it (but not as much when we were there since it was the middle of winter).

Any pictures, articles or websites on Nepali canyons/canyoneering we can look at to get an idea of the sport over there?
    The slot canyons I saw were very impressive. Also, from what I saw, some of them around Pokhara appeared to be longer than Buckskin Gulch (and if so, would invalidate the claim that Buckskin Gulch is the longest slot canyon in the world).

The only problem I can see with Nepal canyoning is that around the cities some of the slots are used to dump garbage and sewage into. If I went canyoning there, I'd rather do it above, rather than below the cities.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

12. Likes AJ liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Heres a pretty rad video by Petzl on a Nepalese canyon. Not sure how other canyons compare, but Chamje Kohla appears to be quite the monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6mM3gWzgGc

14. Likes Wes1 liked this post