Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BYU Football 2016

BYU Football 2016

Let the Kalani Sitake era begin. Personally I'm really happy with this hire.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ty Detmer as OC at BYU. Merry Christmas to me! (Hope this is real)

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=37880461&nid...s_cid=topstory
    Life is Good

4. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Ty Detmer as OC at BYU. Merry Christmas to me! (Hope this is real)

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=37880461&nid...s_cid=topstory
    I'm surprised with all the love this hire is getting. To me it appears to be a HUGE roll of the dice. Could be great, could be a train wreck, both equally as likely. BYU hires a HC with zero HC experience, who then hires the next more important person on his staff, who has zero college coaching experience.

I think Detmer would have been a huge get as the QB coach, OC blows my mind. No coaching experience, save for some high school stuff. No experience recruiting. Just seems like a pretty big gamble.

...and to be clear, I like the KS hire. Just surprised he doesn't appear to be filling his coordinator jobs with seasoned vets, if that is possible, which could make his transition into his first HC job easier.

In the grand scheme of things BYU really dragged their feet in hiring a head coach. By the time Sitake was hired most schools changing head coaches had a two or three week head start on gathering assistant coaches. This really put BYU in a hole as the pool of good available assistants had almost dried up.

I guess we'll soon find out if Detmer can coach, I have no doubt he will be a great recruiter. Imagine being a 17 year old kid and having a Heisman Trophy winner sitting in your living room asking you to come play for him becsuse he believes in you. That's a tough act to follow for any competing school.

8. Likes Scott Card liked this post
    If I was a BYU fan, I'd be having more anxiety by the day. I think the lack of news on hires screams dollars, maybe they overspent on their current staff and are cash strapped. So they are going to get guys in that are inexperienced and on the cheap.

So to be clear, HC, DC and OC, never held the position before. OC has never coached college football before. Hire Ed Lamb as a guy that has some experience running the show, which is nice, but lets be honest, the show at SUU is what it is. Now trying to back fill some position coaches and it's crickets. Names I'm hearing are guys that have never coached CFB before. It's great to get some guys with some CFB or pro experience, but you can't fill your staff with a bunch of guys that haven't coached and better yet, hit the recruiting trail.

We're 4 weeks from National Signing Day and Brigham Young has 4 coaches on staff as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    If I was a BYU fan, I'd be having more anxiety by the day. I think the lack of news on hires screams dollars, maybe they overspent on their current staff and are cash strapped. So they are going to get guys in that are inexperienced and on the cheap.
    This is more a result of BYU dragging their feet on naming a head coach as most assistant coaches have now signed with a program. If you look back in the coaching thread you will see I predicted this problem would arise a month ago.... and yeah.... it's a big problem.

I really have very little concern with the coaches currently in place as they are good coaches and a good coach can coach anywhere at any level.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    This is more a result of BYU dragging their feet on naming a head coach as most assistant coaches have now signed with a program. If you look back in the coaching thread you will see I predicted this problem would arise a month ago.... and yeah.... it's a big problem.

I really have very little concern with the coaches currently in place as they are good coaches and a good coach can coach anywhere at any level.
    Like Gerry Faust....

No, a good coaches and not good coaches through the food chain. Coaches that looked like locks, fail all the time. CFB is loaded with GREAT OC/DC's that never could make the transition to the HC. We have NO IDEA what Detmer brings as a college coach, zero. Like I said in a previous post, he could be great or a trainwreck. We have no idea if he is going to enjoy and thus, put in the grind it takes to be a great recruiter & if you think all that takes is a Super Bowl/NC ring or Heisman, I disagree.

If BYU wanted to pay, they are not too late on anyone. All they have to do is make a call, give a job title and number and the coach can say yes or no, position coaches can jump from school to school without issue, there's no lock up. Holliday is at Utah because he got a number from BYU and a number from Utah and called a moving company.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree....

I am frankly pretty darn excited to see how this plays out. I will give them a couple of years before my final judgment is rendered but the prospects so far are very intriguing to me.
    Life is Good

On a different note.... the Big 12 is trying to get approval to hold a championship game with only 10 teams in the conference (current rules say you need 12). BYU fans should be hoping this is denied as that will force the Big 12 to expand to 12 teams or give up the $30 million that a championship game brings.

15. Likes Scott Card liked this post
    BYU's chance of joining a P5 conference just took a big hit when the NCAA allowed the Big 12 (who only has 10 teams) to hold a championship game.

I thought BYU wanted to stay unaffiliated...that they enjoyed their independent status. I've heard some BYU fans assert that they're the "Notre Dame of the west".

That said, why would they care what the Big 12 or any other conference does?

I don't know who you are listening to Rock.

Yep, BYU's chances took a hit but Oklahoma AD isn't too happy about it. I still think it is a matter of time. I am not sure when the expansion comes if BYU gets in even then. Who should also be unhappy is every other P5 conference who has to play more conference games and share their money with more teams.
    Life is Good

BYU desperately wants to be in a P5 conference for numerous reasons. Money, exposure and prestige being a few of the reasons.

A Big 12 Championship game is worth $30 million is why it's so important to the conference. If the Big 12 was forced to add two teams to hold a championship game and collect the coin BYU would be one of the teams high on their wish list for numerous reasons. Hugh fan base, large name recognition, strong history and a sold out 65k seat stadium being a few of the reasons.

Good news and bad news for BYU...

The good news is the Big 12 is back to seriously considering expansion by adding two teams....

The bad news is UConn and Cincinnati are the two teams at the top of the Big 12 wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Good news and bad news for BYU...

The good news is the Big 12 is back to seriously considering expansion by adding two teams....

The bad news is UConn and Cincinnati are the two teams at the top of the Big 12 wish list.
    UConn and Cincy carry less prestige in my opinion...but also a lot less baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent K25 View Post
    UConn and Cincy carry less prestige in my opinion...but also a lot less baggage.
    The way I understand it is the Big 12 wants to expand either east or west, but not in both directions. So one of the big problems with BYU is they doesn't have another west school to pair with them. Boise State, Colorado State and San Diego State have all been mention as a dance partner, but as you can see when combined as a package deal the UConn-Cincy combo looks better in many ways.

Makes sense to not increase your travel time, expenses, etc by expanding both east and west.

BYU with 3 of the top 25 Non-Conference clashes to look forward to in 2015-16 (According to BR)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...tball-schedule