Thread: Contour Video Camera

Contour Video Camera

I had a new Contour Roam2 HD video camera given to me last night by a friend who works support for Contour. Does anyone have any experience with this camera or Contour in general? I wish it was the Contour +2 with GPS tracking but, hey, for free, I'm not complaining! We were sitting around talking last night, he mentioned he worked for Contour and I told him I'd been thinking about buying one to mount rearward facing (the Contour vs. the GoPro is much more aerodynamic) on my road bike so I could record sections of my road rides in case of an 'incident'. Anyway, he said he had a new one in his car that he'd just give to me! Sweet!
    Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That's cool, can't complain about a free camera. I've looked at them a little bit but it's been years. There's probably not much to it. Do they have an app yet that will let you view the video frame on your phone? That's just about the only thing you might want to nail down before you ride, make sure you're getting the right angle.

Are you mounting it backwards on your helmet, or on your seat post? Maybe even to the frame of your bike?

Yes, they have an app now. I plan on mounting it on the seatpost, facing rearward. I've ordered a seatpost/handlebar mount. We'll see how it goes. I like it's simplicity. We'll see how quality is.
    Are we there yet?

The only bad part about mounting to the seat post is the mud flipping up from the tire and covering the lens, and you have no idea.

I guess you could have a phone holder on your handlebar and occasionally check the app to see the preview.

I used to be all gung ho on GoPro and nothing else, but now I've got my second SJCAM brand, SJ5000X and I'm happy with it. The large advantage that GoPro has is it can mount in odd places easier because it doesn't protrude horizontally as much as the "tubular" shaped cameras.

But the film quality gap is closing across various brands because of the chip.