Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah Football 2016

You knew Pease wasn't going to last long, the guy is 72 and came out of retirement to help the 2015 team. I just wish we could get a fair to mediocre OC.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    You knew Pease wasn't going to last long, the guy is 72 and came out of retirement to help the 2015 team. I just wish we could get a fair to mediocre OC.
    Amen to that.

One of my frustrations is that it seems Utah is a program that is respected enough that we shouldn't have any trouble securing coaching staff. Why do we have to resort to dragging old folks off the golf course to fill those positions?

And once we secure good guys in those positions they frequently bolt for other schools. Makes it tough to run a consistent program like that.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Why do we have to resort to dragging old folks off the golf course to fill those positions?

Good get by the Utes.. He's an LDS kid, married and back from his mission. Looks like he's scoring off the field too...

Utah has secured a commitment from four-star offensive tackle Garett Bolles, who announced his decision to join the Utes via Twitter.

Bolles is the No. 2 prospect on ESPN's top 50 junior college recruits. The 6-foot-6, 300-pound lineman took official visits to Michigan State, Arkansas, and Georgia, before deciding on Utah.

Brolles hails from Levi, Utah and attended junior college at Snow College in Ephraim, Utah.

Amen to that.

One of my frustrations is that it seems Utah is a program that is respected enough that we shouldn't have any trouble securing coaching staff. Why do we have to resort to dragging old folks off the golf course to fill those positions?

And once we secure good guys in those positions they frequently bolt for other schools. Makes it tough to run a consistent program like that.
    If I correctly understood last years battle between Hill and Whit it had a lot to do with Hill not paying assistants what they were worth or giving them contracts of significant length to attract quantity personal.

Utah hires wide receivers coach Guy Holliday away from BYU

http://www.si.com/college-football/2...oach-utah-utes

Giddy up!

An abundance of skill players are on the horizon for Utah

Utes' biggest area of need: Per usual, this is shaping up to be a pretty good defensive class for the Utes, but defense hasn’t been the problem. The Utes have to replace three linebacker spots for next season, but Kyle Whittingham has earned the benefit of the doubt that he can coach up players -- be it Star Lotulelei, Trevor Reilly, Nate Orchard, Hunter Dimick or Gionni Paul. Some of the best defensive players in the conference have started as Utah projects and emerged as A-list defensive players.

Utah’s problem since joining the Pac-12 has been keeping up with the rest of the league offensively. From 2011 to 2015, the Utes have actually raised their scoring average from 25 points per game to 30.6. The problem is, the rest of the league has gotten better also.

Utah’s 30.6 points per game in 2015 would have ranked them sixth in 2011. This season, it ranked ninth.

If QB transfer Troy Williams emerges as the starter, they’ll still need a plan of succession for down the road. They’ll get Britain Covey back in a couple of seasons, but finding skill-position players -- receivers and running backs -- has to be a top priority. Utah has been solid making the most out of its tight ends, which is great for third downs and in the red zone, but pure speed at the receiver spot and depth at running back will help them keep pace with the rest of the league. -- Kevin Gemmell

Help is on the way?: Say hello to the next wave of skill talent for the Utes. After offensive tackle Garett Bolles -- a massive commitment as the nation's No. 2 overall junior college prospect -- the next six prospects committed to Utah are three running backs, a quarterback and two wide receivers. The backs -- all initially from Florida -- are Devontae Henry-Cole, Zack Moss and ESPN JC 50 prospect Thomas McDonald.

Williams has the ability to step in and grab the starting quarterback spot this fall. At wide receiver, Samson Nacua and junior college prospect Alec Dana are joined by R.J. Hubert as a pure wide receiver. Athlete Tyler Huntley will begin his career as a quarterback, while teammate and fellow athlete Demari Simpkins will likely be headed for receiver.

Julian Blackmon is a prospect to keep an eye on, as he is a big-time athlete and could become an overlooked in-state commitment who finds early success, similar to what Covey did in 2015. -- Erik McKinney

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...rizon-for-utah

Well, they're gonna need an abundance of new players, since half the team is graduating or going on missions.

Some serious holes to fill right now that Wilson, Booker, Paul, Scott, Covey, and Poole are gone.

They've got two QB's coming in with Williams and Huntley. Obviously Williams has the bulk of the experience playing in juco, but Huntley is listed as a 4 star.

Troy Williams: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/939235/h...s/293669389/v2

Tyler Huntley: http://espn.go.com/ncaa/football/rec...ayer?id=181725

Is there a college football team this time of year that is not telling everyone how great their recruiting class is or how awesome the outlook for the coming year is? If so, I've never heard of them.

I did some sleuthing around on Troy Williams. Really impressive year last year as Santa Monica's starting QB. He appears to be a dual threat guy, who can rush as well as pass. In one game he threw for 7 TDs, and in another he threw for 4 TDs, and rushed for 3 more. Granted, these numbers are against crappy juco teams, but still...

Here's a link to his box scores from last season:

http://www.smccorsairs.com/sports/fb...15-16/schedule

I did some sleuthing around on Troy Williams. Really impressive year last year as Santa Monica's starting QB. He appears to be a dual threat guy, who can rush as well as pass.
    And he was Washington's 4th string QB and could see he was never going to play after Chris Peterson took over the program.

Hmmmm.... So, my question is, who continually has a dynamic and high scoring offense, Whittingham or Petterson?

So, my question is, who continually has a dynamic and high scoring offense, Whittingham or Petterson?
    Ummm....Meyer?

15. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Ummm....Meyer?
    Who also didn't recruit Troy Williams?

Utah Football 2016

Hmmmm.... So, my question is, who continually has a dynamic and high scoring offense, Whittingham or Petterson?
    Utah and Washington both scored 398 points last year. Utah finished 10-3, Washington was 7-6.

Sorry you missed seeing all those exciting Boise State teams that Peterson coached over the years.

FWIW- I really hope Troy Williams is all that and a bag of chips, but I'm just pointing out I think some of the fan base is getting overly optimistic considering.....

Yeah gotcha. He has a lot to prove, but his ceiling seems really high. He comes in with better credentials then any QB for quite some time at Utah.

San Marcos CB Terrell Burgess Commits to Utah Football

His video committing on live TV: http://www.kusi.com/clip/12173709/12...llege-decision

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 10.18.21 AM.png
Views: 166
Size:  241.8 KB

That's sweet. Pretty ballsy to make a decision like that on live t.v. Looks like a great kid. I wonder what Utah offered that Cal and Arizona couldn't?

Go Utes!