Thread: Lomation/Krill Trip Report 12/9/1015

Lomation/Krill Trip Report 12/9/1015

Through the generosity of friends I was able to descend Lomation/Krill yesterday despite having nearly all my canyoneering gear stolen . This was my virgin trip through these two and it was well worth the wait. December temps in the upper forty’s and not another sole in the fiery furnace made the experience even better. These canyons defiantly pack a lot of variety, arches and views in a short distance from home.

As of 12/9/15 there was no snow or ice in the canyons. This will likely change with the coming storms on Friday. All anchors were intact with good webbing. We utilized a fiddlestick/ smoother operator for all raps. Under the new policy of not using Abbey arch the “new” location of first rap is causing new rope groves to appear. This makes an excellent place for releasable anchor to help with this issue.

Name:  P1030894.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  82.1 KB

Name:  P1030905.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  124.7 KB

Name:  P1030912.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  137.8 KB

Name:  P1030915.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  57.6 KB

Name:  P1030926.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  114.4 KB

Name:  P1030936.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  69.7 KB

Name:  P1030943.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  121.6 KB

Name:  P1030950.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  84.3 KB

Name:  P1030951.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  83.4 KB

Name:  P1030960.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  51.1 KB

Name:  P1030972.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  P1030973.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  57.1 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That had to be one of the most scenic canyons that I have been on for awhile. Thanks for the handling on some of those tricky moves!

For everyone's information:
    I have finally filed an application with the NPS to install a two bolt anchor near Abbey Arch and have lined up someone to help with that installation. Hopefully, the application will be approved and we can get this done by early March and mostly eliminate the rope grooving that's developing.
    Glad you had a good trip through there & found some solitude. Not always the case in the Fiery Furnace! Those routes do mix it up nicely.

6. Likes Iceaxe, jman liked this post
    When/if you install the bolts it would be a good idea to document the location with a couple pictures and measure the drop so others can update their beta accordingly. The easiest method for measuring a similar drop is to know how long your ropes actually are and than measure how much rope is on the ground.

In my humble opinion the sooner the bolts are installed the better. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    For everyone's information:
    I have finally filed an application with the NPS to install a two bolt anchor near Abbey Arch and have lined up someone to help with that installation. Hopefully, the application will be approved and we can get this done by early March and mostly eliminate the rope grooving that's developing.
    Glad you had a good trip through there & found some solitude. Not always the case in the Fiery Furnace! Those routes do mix it up nicely.
    When you go, let me know :) I would love to see you guys again. And it would be fun to run Lomatium and Krill again :)
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    When you go, let me know :) I would love to see you guys again. And it would be fun to run Lomatium and Krill again :)
    Thank you for taking this project on. Where are you looking to place the bolts?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanGJ View Post
    Thank you for taking this project on. Where are you looking to place the bolts?
    Yes inquiring minds would like to know. If any way possible if they could be in the arch area would be awesome. That's a much better rappel. I would imagine you're over by the tree rappel.

X2... somewhere near the arch who be primo!

FYI - for all interested, the park officials we discussed this with over a year ago now, did not appear to favor a permanent installation anywhere near the arch, hence, we have submitted on the app a location where the drainage spills over and near the juniper tree some were using for an anchor. The rappel in that location does not really go "free" but is still dramatic and highly vertical. I think the operative word here is "compromise." People can still easily "visit" the arch area - just a few steps away, then backtrack to set up the rap. Right now, a 200 foot rope & equal pullcord will get you down from the tree. When we do the install, we'll get a better measurement. Kuya, we'll keep you posted on when we go if the app is approved. I applied for 4 persons to do the job. Already have 3 lined up but the number is not set in stone - pun intended. The holes have to be hand drilled and the bolts must be glue-in type. The attached photo should give some perspective on the spot we applied for.
    Name:  DSC04286Adj.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  759.5 KB

13. Likes jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    Kuya, we'll keep you posted on when we go if the app is approved. I applied for 4 persons to do the job.
    No worries, I can snag my own Canyoneering permit for that day. :)
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Any update on those bolts? Never been through these canyons myself but after some extensive "google earthing" and an exploratory hike in the furnace I feel confident in finding the route myself. It would be nice to know what sort of anchor I'll be using for that first rap though.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonbodtker View Post
    Any update on those bolts? Never been through these canyons myself but after some extensive "google earthing" and an exploratory hike in the furnace I feel confident in finding the route myself. It would be nice to know what sort of anchor I'll be using for that first rap though.
    More than 2 months ago I received a call from the park saying the application had been "approved" for a bolt, but it could not be a glue-in type. But they also indicated there was still one other "approval" or something the application had to go through. Waited about 3 weeks without hearing anything so called back. Was assured something would be forthcoming soon, but not a word since. Because this was the first application under the new guidelines/rules, they seemed to have several issues to work out. So no bolts for now and a fiddlestick type setup for the Abbey Arch rap (if you know what you're doing) would cause the least amount of grooving or damage. I would urge not using the pinyon tree directly behind the arch because the rope will likely still rub against a section of the arch once weighted. Use the juniper across the wash from the spill over point - well before the arch.

Proof that's it's much better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonbodtker View Post
    I'm interested to hear how this goes. Please post a trip report after.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk