Thread: Suunto GPS Watch

Suunto GPS Watch

I just purchased myself a Suunto Traverse gps watch for Christmas. Has anyone had experience with these newer gps smart watches? I'm excited to get this and try it out. This model appealed to me because it looks really good as an everyday wear watch, has downloadable topo maps, barometer with weather alerts and can pair with my Android phone for email and text alerts + a whole ton of other features. I'm excited to play with it come Christmas day (if I can wait that long!). http://www.suunto.com/en-US/Products...hite/#lightTab
    Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries

Suunto GPS Watch

I use the Suunto Ambit 3 Peak.

It's essentially the same thing as the Traverse except for little details in GPS and the build quality.

I use it as a everyday watch and it gets a lot of attention.

I love the Bluetooth portion, I love the apps you can setup for your watch, the maps topo is sweet (mine doesn't have that function), the barometer/elevation functions are the high-quality that you expect out of Suunto.

I've been a Suunto user since 2006 (with the vector) and they don't disappoint.

I have an iPhone and it pairs nicely with it. A nice thing is you can chance nearly every setting on it from the phone rather than the buttons on the watch, which makes for quick updating.

The 3rd party apps stuff is pretty interesting. I changed mine quite a bit to customize the screens just to my liking. It's hard to explain until you actually have the watch in your hands but basically I have exercise modes (hiking, canyoneering, snowshoeing, mtn biking, running, swimming, etc) and it allows me to change some of functions.

Hiking:
    Page1: mileage, current elevation, current speed
    Page2: current temp, sunrise/sunset time, O2% based on elevation
    Page3: current GPS coordinate, recovery time (based on my HR), battery life

Swimming:
    Page1: Current HR, current time, lap time
    Page2: Depth gauge (3rd party app)
    Page3: elapsed time, mileage, battery life

Those are just a few examples of what I have on my phone for those sport modes. Again, it is customizable to however you wanna display it.

I took the watch back in May on my Half-marathon through Ogden and was able to load up the map before hand out in all of the aid stations in so I knew exactly when the next water break would be. It worked really well just for that alone. But with the GPS on, I was able to easily track my time, current speed, average time, pace, mph, heartrate, elevation, and look back on it after the race.

And after every exercise has finished, it saves the metrics and that exercise to the phone and when you plug it into your computer, it updates it automatically to movescount.com for more analyzing and sharing on social media, including creating a GPS "movie" of your adventure. There website could use some fine-tuning but it works decently enough.

If I remember I'll share my movescount account here and you can follow me and see where I have been hiking, running, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Great information! More excited than ever to get it!
    Are we there yet?

5. Likes jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Which color did you get?

I think that white one is swwwweeeet! I'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Graphite.
    Are we there yet?