Thread: Winter Canyons

Winter Canyons

I live in Utah and want to get some winter canyons in this season. I'd love to hear some recommendations. I don't have access to dry suits and would prefer to stay out of water if at all possible.

That said, I'd love to hear what its like to do the Subway in the winter!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlohaChris View Post
    I live in Utah and want to get some winter canyons in this season. I'd love to hear some recommendations. I don't have access to dry suits and would prefer to stay out of water if at all possible.

That said, I'd love to hear what its like to do the Subway in the winter!
    In winter, do canyons you have done before, and can therefore evaluate how snow/ice and cold effects the descent.

Tom

Really? Using Pine Creek as an example - I was up to my neck in cold water/log soup this fall. I wouldn't want to do that in 20-30° weather, it'd be a serious hazard.

Really? Using Pine Creek as an example - I was up to my neck in cold water/log soup this fall. I wouldn't want to do that in 20-30° weather, it'd be a serious hazard.
    Given your preference for staying out of water, why you talkin' Pine Creek? Unless that's your one and only... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Given your preference for staying out of water, why you talkin' Pine Creek? Unless that's your one and only... :-)
    I have done it with more than one canyon, I'll have you know!

How's the North Wash in the Winter?

Anybody know of a quick list of dry canyons?

How's the North Wash in the Winter?
    Can be really good with good weather. The following Forks are often mostly (or completely) dry*:

Leprechauns
    Blarneys
    Shillelaghs
    Hogs

9. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    In addition:

Three Canyon's water is usually avoidable.
    Moonshine Wash is usually (but not always) dry in winter.
    West Fork and Main Fork Bluejohn is usually dry in winter (not true of the East Fork).
    U Turn in Arches is almost always dry, but be aware of ice.
    Chamber of the Basilisk/Goblins Lair is almost always dry in winter.

Maybe I've been unlucky, but the Leprechauns have had one pool in them when I've done them in winter.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Hogwarts has water that is all avoidable except one pool, usually about knee deep.

Shenanigans is usually dry. There is one pothole fairly high in the canyon that holds some water. Tends to be a good choice as there are few rappels so everyone is moving most of the time.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    In addition:

Three Canyon's water is usually avoidable.
    Moonshine Wash is usually (but not always) dry in winter.
    West Fork and Main Fork Bluejohn is usually dry in winter (not true of the East Fork).
    U Turn in Arches is almost always dry, but be aware of ice.
    Chamber of the Basilisk/Goblins Lair is almost always dry in winter.

Maybe I've been unlucky, but the Leprechauns have had one pool in them when I've done them in winter.
    Looking to take some scouts on a short simple canyon next month. Had thought about Uturn but I'm worried about ice on the slope before the last rap. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by desotodave View Post
    Looking to take some scouts on a short simple canyon next month. Had thought about Uturn but I'm worried about ice on the slope before the last rap. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.
    Starting from where?

And, you mean a short, simple, technical canyon?

Tom

Had thought about Uturn but I'm worried about ice on the slope before the last rap.
    When ice up, the bad part is usually at the second to the last rappel. That part seems to hole ice the longest. I wouldn't recommend doing it with inexperienced scouts unless you do it just prior to them in order to check conditions.

I'd recommend doing a canyon with a recent condition report. Some of the North Wash stuff might be good unless another storm hits. I'd also recommend Moonshine Wash.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.