Thread: Trans Zion Trek

Trans Zion Trek

Hi,
    I'm looking into doing the Zion Traverse with a group and i have a couple of questions about it.
    -First of all do the permits come with the campsites, i don't see a seperate permit only options for cg reservations.
    -What's the best time to go, May or October?
    -What are the best campsites which can be reserved in advance?

Other advice is always welcome, thanks in advance for your infinite wisdom.
    The stupid Dutchman

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Nordschleife View Post
    Hi,
    I'm looking into doing the Zion Traverse with a group and i have a couple of questions about it.
    -First of all do the permits come with the campsites, i don't see a seperate permit only options for cg reservations.
    -What's the best time to go, May or October?
    -What are the best campsites which can be reserved in advance?

Other advice is always welcome, thanks in advance for your infinite wisdom.
    You'll need to make reservations for each campsite for the given night you wish to spend at that particular campsite. I've never camped out on the Zion Traverse, however I've done the traverse 3 times in one day. I've always wondered how I'd do it as a camping trip? The first time I did the traverse I started at the East Entrance.

If I were to camp along the way doing the traverse East to West.... I'd hike the first 4+or- miles and camp the first night somewhere around Stave Spring. (may or may not have water there, however water will be available the next day at the Grotto at the main canyon).

The 2nd day would be a BIG push, and I'd make my way all the way to the West Rim and opt, if possible for campsite(s) 1 or 2 if available? (water should be available at the spring?)

The 3rd day would be another resonably big push, and I'd camp "at large" in the backcountry somewhere off of the Wildcat Canyon trail in the vicinity of Russel Gulch head. (be sure to top off all water containers at Potato Hollow, Sawmill Spring, and Blue Creek if water source is present).

The 4th day would be somewhat lengthy, but easier hiking and I'd try to push for campsite 8, 9 or 10 on Laverkin Creek near Kolob Arch. (plenty of water available either in the creek or spring).

The 5th day would be a 6.5 mile hike out to Lee Pass.

If I were to do the traverse from West to East I think I'd try to camp at the same spots.

I've talked to folks that have done the traverse and they pretty much did what I've described and it worked out well for them?

I had the good fortune to tag along with Bo on one of his trans Zion treks. We went west to east on 6 May 2006. Was rather warm hiking up out of the main canyon in the late afternoon, but during the rest of the day the temps were pleasant. We cached some water on the east side of Lava Point where the trail meets a trailhead access road. You could also cache water at/near the Hops Valley trailhead on the Kolob Terrace Road. In the main canyon we got water at a restroom near the grotto. In early May water would likely be running at Stave Spring on the East Rim Trail.

I'd prefer early May over October for this trek if only for the extra daylight hours.

Be prepared to deal with some miles of slogging thru sand. Zion sand seems to me to be more abrasive than beach sand. It can really tear your feet up.

Thanks a lot for the info, for logistical reasons will be doing it west to east with a shuttle from ZAC.
    The stupid Dutchman

I'm hoping to do the Trans-Zion trek in late April. Like you, I'm planning on a west-east traverse with a shuttle to Lee Pass.

I agree with Bo's campsite recommendations and am using Joe Braun's guide as well.

An online campsite reservation gets you a wilderness permit, but you still need to pick it up in advance and provide details.

Here's my plan for reference. I'm going solo and am diverging from typical Trans-Zion to do extra side trips.
    Day 1: Shuttle to Lee Pass. Hike to Camp (7-11). Side trip to Kolob Arch.
    Day 2: Hike Hop Valley to Wildcat Canyon (side trip to Northgate Peaks). Camp at Sawmill Springs if available, otherwise near Wildcat Canyon Trail.
    Day 3: Hike West Rim to Valley. Side trip to Angel's Landing. Shuttle to Watchman campground.
    Day 4: Shuttle to Weeping Rock. Hike East Rim. Side trips to Cable Mountain and/or Deertrap Mountain. Camp near Stave Spring.
    Day 5: Hike to East Rim trailhead. Hike Checkerboard Pass. Camp south of Crazy Quilt Mesa.
    Day 6: Hike to Gifford Canyon. Exit at Tunnel and shuttle back to Valley.

I'll be able to travel pretty light since I'll have the chance to cache provisions at Watchman CG and East Rim trailhead. If the snow and rain continues this winter, I don't think you'd have to cache any water, however.

I think October will be cooler than May, but water may be less abundant. The seasons will be beautiful regardless: May should still offer higher-elevation flowers, but October will have the valley in full fall foliage.

Another consideration: You'll have more daylight in May than October: at least 14 hours in May and only around 11 hours in October.

Just got home from a great 10-day visit to UTAZ, including a five-day, four-night backpack of the TZT. Thanks for Zion Adventure Company for the shuttle, the NPS for the great permit accomodations, and The Desert Rat & Bo Beck for the advice and provisions. I highly recommend this duration if you can get the permits.

Here's how it eventually went down:
    Day 1: Shuttle from East Rim TH to Lee Pass. Hike to LaVerkin camp #7 (right next to Beatty Spring, flowing great). Side trip to Kolob Arch
    Day 2: Hike to Hop Valley TH (water cached), then on to Wildcat Canyon (camped by lava flows above trail)
    Day 3: Hike to West Rim camp #1 (right next to Cabin Spring...trickling)
    Day 4: Hike to Grotto (water and clean up), then up East Rim trail to Stave Spring (trickle). Skipped Angel's Landing: too crowded
    Day 5: Hike out to East Rim TH.

8. Likes whansen liked this post
    Hi,

I am also planning to take on the Zion Traverse- about two weeks from now. I have a few questions that I would really appreciate someone with Zion/Zion traverse knowledge to help me out with. We'll take three nights to go from Lee Pass to West Rim Trailhead.

1) Is a water pump necessary? We usually use a UV filters and don't want to bring more gear than is absolutely needed
    2) Has there been any snow in the park yet this season?
    3) How cold should we expect the nights to be? We are debating between the 40 degree bags (super lightweight) and 0 degree bags (older and a bit bulky)
    4) We are planning side trips down Northgate Peaks Trail and the Kolob Arch- are there any other must-see side trips that anyone recommends? We'll do Angel's Landing too on the way to the end.

Thank you!! :)

I havn't done the Trek, but have been on most all parts of it

1. I always use a pump, thats personal opinion. There is quite a bit of water that I've drank unpurified, but have done my whole life so I may be a little immune.

2. Yes, there has been snow and more snow is in the forecase

3. This Thursday has a low of 8 forecast for the mountains. This late in the year I would bring a bigger bag

4. Hidden Canyon, Observation Point, Depending on your time, Cable Mountain & Deertrap

Back in Oct '93, on my first Zion adventure, I did the west to east traverse in 4 days hiking about 8-10 hrs... and enjoyed every min of it.

Regarding campsites, the only recommendation I have is when you get near the west rim, camp at the west rim, not at one of the campsites a quarter mile away... backcountry camping off the beaten trail, so to speak.

I was able to carry enough water and get to the Grotto where I could replenish water without having to pump or filter. One more day and I was at the east gates.

Beware... Zion is addictive... I've been making annual pilgrimages ever since.

Have fun!!