Thread: Solo Hiking-Southern UT

Solo Hiking-Southern UT

Hey Everyone! I need your help! I am really wanting to get away this weekend to southern UT by myself and would like a few good solo hike ideas. I usually always go with my best friend who has a GPS, and so I am never concerned about getting lost, etc. But, because I will be alone without a GPS, I want to make sure that I don't go on a trail that is too tricky, or that I could stray easily from. I've done a lot of the big hikes that people usually do without a GPS in southern UT (Angels Landing, Observation Point, Delicate Arch, The Narrow, etc.). I just really need to get out alone, and would love some good ideas. I'm thinking moderate to hard level, and 4-8 hours long.

I was thinking about the Moab Rim trail, but it looks like it might be congested by Jeeps and bikes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Take the Notom Road to the southern end of Capitol Reef National Park. Hike the Halls Creek trail all the way to the narrows and back. Long day...you should perhaps have some firewood and a warm sleeping bag for car camping. You want some solitude with zero chance of getting lost? This is the place. It's quite beautiful, too.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Do the Devil's Garden Primative Loop Hike in Arches National Park. The trail is well defined and signed and is really a must do hike for everyone at some time in their life. The trail visits a bunch of really nice arches and other cool features. Great scenery the entire trail, which is usually only crowded the first mile as most the tourists turn around at Landscape Arch.

http://climb-utah.com/Moab/devil.htm

Enjoy.

Thank you! Such great ideas! I'll probably do Devils Garden :)

Thank you! I'll probably do this in a couple of weeks!

If you hike the Devil's Garden Loop I'd also suggest adding the little known, but truly awesome Dark Angel Pictograph's. Visiting the rock art only adds about 30 minutes to the hike and is the best thing on the route. The park doesn't advertise these panels and few people know of them.

http://climb-utah.com/Moab/darkangel.htm

8. Likes Udink liked this post