Thread: Return to the Cauldron

Return to the Cauldron

Even in my 5mm wet suit, the cauldron sapped the warmth out of me as I tried to catch my breath while shivering. I paused.

Looking behind me were the horrific narrows that almost trapped my wife and son 4 short years ago. This tight section, just passed the semi-keeper pothole some refer to as "The Witches' Cauldron", is a perfect V that is too narrow to squeeze through below. However, it is not quite wide enough to easily stay high. Furthermore, you tend to slip just a bit here and there as you go. Too much slipping, and you get squeezed and caught. More energy to go up causes more awkwardness which causes slipping again.

My shivering finally stopped but I was still shaking. A few more slow breaths, and I calmed my mind. The emotions were overwhelming. I had spent hours on my first trip in survival mode, trying to get my family out of here. And even though it was 4 years in the past, the memory and emotion of that panic still burned within me.

Name:  vlcsnap-00009.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  65.9 KB

Name:  vlcsnap-00021.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  35.6 KB

Name:  c3.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  85.0 KB

The memory? With only a few canyons under our belt, we decided to take our adventures up to the next level. An R canyon, how hard can that be? We used the R as the next "level up". As all the other canyons had a 3B rating, it was difficult to establish their ranks. The 3Bs so far were pretty easy. So, off we went to do the Cauldron. We struggled through most of the sections, taking over 4 hours to just to get to the keeper pothole. We had lots of gear to help escape it with us. And once there, we found it easily surpassed. Empty of water and full of mud. All the escape gear stayed in our packs. Then came that nasty narrow section. Tyler somehow slid in front of me and got stuck. Elizabeth slid behind me. Also trapped. Then a feeling of panic. I've never had it before, and never had it since. But it is unforgettable. You really think you are going to die. That is when you really need to calm down, relax, and clear your head.

Now, today having returned to the Cauldron, I was still shaking. But for a different reason.

I then easily down climbed the last section of narrow walls and into the wide open canyon. The shaking from the memory finally settled down. Not until then did I finally relax.

Name:  vlcsnap-00002.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  54.3 KB

This trip was simple and straightforward. Why was it so hard before? Lack of experience? Too much gear? Trachyotomy seemed so much easier this day. Much easier as compared to many other canyons.I thought the canyon was beyond my safe ability for so long. My only regret was waiting 4 years to face my fears.

Name:  vlcsnap-00026.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  vlcsnap-00005.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  52.1 KB

This is a great canyon. One of the best.However, work up to it. Have more experience and confidence in your skills than I did my first time, and you'll do fine. Have fun.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Were some of those photos from 4 years ago?

I understand you needed to "kill a devil", so Bravo! for doing so.

Rob

4. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    Were some of those photos from 4 years ago?

I understand you needed to "kill a devil", so Bravo! for doing so.

Rob
    Hi Rob. Thanks. No, all the pics are from our recent decent a couple of weeks ago.

When you slide down, do you not worry you might break a leg? Curious how you avoid injury

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hiacbanks View Post
    When you slide down, do you not worry you might break a leg? Curious how you avoid injury

Yes, you can break a leg or something else. I think that risk is inherent in all canyoneering activity. Certainly some canyons carry more risk than others.

Down climbing takes confidence, skill, and experience. Start with some easier canyons, and put yourself on belay. You'll soon gain ability to safely descend a wide variety of obstacles. Each one is a bit different. The narrow/chimney slide downs are a blast. But the careful balance, foot/hand placement techniques are my favorite to practice.

The last drop in the cauldron is easy. You get pushed out of the slot a bit into open space, then you carefully slide back in for an easy descent. However, my first time I opted to rap it as it was out of my comfort zone at that time. If it is out of your ability, OK to rap it.

Thank you for sharing. The first guy to down climbing must be the top guy in the team? Cause he can't see what underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by hiacbanks View Post
    Thank you for sharing. The first guy to down climbing must be the top guy in the team? Cause he can't see what underneath.

Certainly a top guy below on that day. However for this particular drop you can see below you most of the way. There is a bit of faith as you slide back in.

You should usually have your best climber go last. That way, those that go first can get a belay. The last person has the most risk. Those below can spot/help the last climber down.

Once again, thank you very much for sharing !

Hell.

Yeah.

Way to go Mark and Tyler!

12. Likes Mountaineer liked this post