Thread: Not Mindbender -Alcatraz

Not Mindbender -Alcatraz

If the weather holds out looking at going Monday. Wondering if anyone has been if so how muddy? Have never done not mind. Do most recommend a rope at the climb out? Concerned if we're muddy.
    Thanks
    Mark

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The moki exit should never be muddy. Someone in the group has to climb it and there is not a good way to protect it. After someone is up it's easy to protect with one of your canyoneering ropes. Since you are familiar with the Elephant Butte crux the moki is similar. Climbing skills about the same, difficult to protect, big penalty points for a fall.

4. Likes Taylor liked this post
    Last year we made a run through Not Mindbender in very muddy conditions. We renamed the canyon "Not Mudbender". At one point, a member of our party thought he was sinking to his peril in quicksand. However, even in those conditions, the exit climb was not difficult for me to lead and belay the rest of the group up the short and steep section. For anyone with even moderate climbing skills, its no big deal. Enjoy!

We were just concerned with getting out if our shoes were mud coated. Getting out of NFRR with mud ball shoes was a pain.

The exit is in a sandy section of drainage out of the water course. So like I said, mud should not be an issue. I've done the route when Not MB was extremely muddly and our shoes were clean when we hit the exit.

What Shane said. Hike to the exit, clean shoes if still dirty, climb out.

We descended Not Mindbender yesterday and mud was not an issue. There is a lot more water than average however. The Roost had 5 straight days of rain that ended 10 days ago. I highly suggest full wetsuits for Not Mindbender to avoid hypothermia. Water was over the head of some of the shorter members of our group. The exit is no problem so long as a member of your group is comfortable freeing low 5th Class.
    Christopher

10. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    We bailed were wusses.

12. Likes Get in the Wild liked this post