Thread: Puchbowl Canyon • Arizona

Puchbowl Canyon • Arizona

The Coalition of American Canyoneers (CAC) has been negotiating access to Punchbowl Canyon with the Salt River Project (SRP). Punchbowl Canyon is part of the Tonto National Forest south of Horse Mesa, Arizona.

Nearby is a significant dam that delivers hydropower and water to Phoenix. The dam has new security requirements since 9/11. In the past, canyoneers have been accessing the canyon without permission and there was an incident in 2011 that left a negative impression. Fortunately, the CAC was able to get past this and worked with SRP to allow canyoneering access.

The rules: http://www.americancanyoneers.org/ar...chbowl-canyon/

Photos and a much deserved Thank You to CAC Board members Rich Rudow & Mike Zampino for their work on this.

Name:  punchbowl.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  147.5 KB

2. Likes Slot Machine, Iceaxe liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Do you have any beta on punchbowl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nrhardin View Post
    Do you have any beta on punchbowl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://www.onropecanyoneering.com/punch-bowl-canyon-az/

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Aw, c'mon.

This link is so much better: http://bfy.tw/32tN

Punchbowl is fantastic, as is the news that SRP is loosening up about access!

I got SRP permission and went two weeks back with my son, his friend, and friend of mine.

Here's a the vid I made: https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_i...referrer=watch

As per Ratagonia, there's plenty of beta out there, especially on hikearizona.com (check both the description and triplogs tabs).

Let's see if I can add anything useful.

1. I've now hit about half a dozen Superstition canyons. While this one has an average dose of catclaw brush, it easily leads them all as an overall experience.

2. Plan for a big, amazing day. We took the tamer, non-top-o-fin route, and hiked at a pretty leisurely pace. That route skirts some high places without any real exposure. The full trip took us from dawn to beyond dusk! The only downer is the 3 mile-ish each way slog down the SRP road that you could drive a lowrider on were it legal. Hiking trails is fun. Hiking on roads... meh. We took bikes. Rode em down in a flash. Stashed in bushes by dynamite shack. Pretty steep ride up, but still better than just feet. Either way, better the long hike than no access.

3. We did it with a 200, a 120, and a 200 pullcord. With about 15 raps in rapid succession, I'd suggest a 2-team, 2-rope approach if you can. It was me and mostly new people, so we couldn't do this option, but some guys behind us did this and moved much quicker. All anchors were in good shape; mix of bolts, slung chockstones/boulders, and one sturdy but disturbingly skinny catclaw trunk. Saw one length of someone's stuck rope in a crack, but had clean pulls all around.

4. Many of the raps have awkward low angle starts. Lots of enjoyable ones too though, and the last is both gorgeous and fun. Final rap also drops you right next to the road in a great spot to gear down.

5. I see "R" designators on descriptions of this canyon. While I guess there could be keeper conditions if very dry, we didn't see anything that looked true keeper. Can't think of why else the "R".

Great place on a winter day!

8. Likes nrhardin liked this post