Thread: Utah High School MTB Racing

Utah High School MTB Racing

As some of you know I help coach the Corner Canyon High School MTB Team. It's the largest team in the nation with 153 racers and Utah is now the largest High School league in the nation.

Here are a couple of my favorite pictures from last weekends Eagle Mountain Race.

Name:  DSCN1388.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  120.5 KB

Name:  DSCN1378.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  141.9 KB

Name:  DSCN1464.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  91.3 KB

Name:  DSCN1372.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  83.6 KB

I spend about 90% of my time coaching the Sophomore Boys so I'm particularly proud of this....

4 of the top 5
    6 of the top 10
    11 of the top 20
    13 of the top 25

That is pure domination any way you slice it.

Name:  Results.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  79.1 KB

Here is a link to my photo dump form last weekends Eagle Mountain MTB Race if anyone is interested. Most of the pictures are of kids on the Corner Canyon High School MTB Team.

https://goo.gl/photos/avMoRdz4qLqeSV9d6

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I made this video of my daughter racing this year. I stole the drone footage from one of the other MTB dad's.

I admire you because the Corner Canyon High School MTB Team is one of the best in the country. Although such training takes a lot of time and I know that many turn to (sneaky spam link) or other resources that helps with the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraranan View Post
    I admire you because the Corner Canyon High School MTB Team is one of the best in the country. Although such training takes a lot of time and I know that many turn to (sneaky spam link) or other resources that helps with the choice.
    hoo boy, these spammers are getting good

6. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    I noticed that also. At first I thought we were going to get another NICA coach adding to the forum, but that was not to be.

Good to see this thread come up. Even if it was through nefarious means. My son has joined the Box Elder Composite team and I'm one of the coaches. I'm looking forward to the season and I'll post stuff in here from time to time just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo View Post
    Good to see this thread come up. Even if it was through nefarious means. My son has joined the Box Elder Composite team and I'm one of the coaches. I'm looking forward to the season and I'll post stuff in here from time to time just for fun.
    I helped coach the Corner Canyon team for 6 years and I had a lot of fun doing it. I found it to be very rewarding.

Yeah, it's been fun so far. It's my first year doing it and my son is going into 9th grade, so I'll be there for at least 4 years. I'm looking forward to it.

11. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    My oldest son started in 9th as well. This will be his 3rd season riding for Bingham. I ride with the team when I can and it’s super fun, as are the races.

My youngest son will be in 8th grade and we almost registered him, but he needs one more year to get ready.

13. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Sarah and I had an amazing four years with the Idaho Falls composite team. It hooked my daughter on mountain biking for life, she currently works at a bike shop in Idaho Falls and will start college next Spring. I miss coaching.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Sarah and I had an amazing four years with the Idaho Falls composite team. It hooked my daughter on mountain biking for life, she currently works at a bike shop in Idaho Falls and will start college next Spring. I miss coaching.
    No reason to stop coaching just because your kid got old.... My kid graduated 4 years ago and I still coach. Corner Canyon has over 200 kids on the team this year, they need all the help they can get.

16. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    No reason to stop coaching just because your kid got old.... My kid graduated 4 years ago and I still coach. Corner Canyon has over 200 kids on the team this year, they need all the help they can get.

I absolutely agree with you! I was given lots of leeway at my previous place of work in I.F. to be a coach for the 4 years she was on the team. It was really hard to make practice times without leaving work about an hour early. And they were very generous with time off for races. Sadly when she graduated I had to quit volunteering. Then I moved back to Utah.

But!! I do have my hands in a small coaching gig here in Ogden that exposes the little ones to mountain biking and I get to work with two of the high school teams who provide volunteers to help with the kids bike camps and in return money is donated to each team. So I am still involved with getting kids on bikes.

In the future I may go back to volunteering with NICA. I just have too many irons in the fire as of right now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Chere'

18. Likes Iceaxe liked this post

Utah High School MTB Racing

My son got moved up to the #1 group this year. Last year he was in the #2 group. They do time trials to start the season and put them into groups based on speed. Then this is who they ride with during practice.

It is awesome that he moved up, but they also put me in the #1’s!!! I don’t feel like a #1 for ALL 3 days that they practice each week! Lol

They ride insanely fast, rarely stop, do huge laps and climb like goats. Saturday I wasn’t with them and thank goodness. He rode 18 mi, 2,100 ft climb, while averaging 9.5 mi/h.

He really wants to improve from last year and I told him he’s on track if he keeps it up. He wanted to skip practice on Saturday and I told him those are the days you need to go the most.

20. Likes Sombeech, blueeyes, devo_stevo, tallsteve liked this post
    That has make you proud even if you can't keep up with the #1's every practice.

Chere'

22. Likes accadacca liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    That has make you proud even if you can't keep up with the #1's every practice.

For sure! It’s fun to see them progress.