Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah Basketball - Runnin' Utes 2015-2016

Utah Basketball - Runnin' Utes 2015-2016

4-star recruit Jayce Johnson commits to Utah

Four-star center recruit Jayce Johnson has committed to Utah, according to ESPN's Jeff Borzello.

Johnson is ranked 11th at his position for the class of 2016, and is 81st on ESPN's Top 100 list.

The 6-foot-11, 250-pound native of Dana Point, Calif. is scouted for his scoring touch in the key and strong footwork. His long frame allows him to post up and rebound with ease.

Johnson turned down offers from home state Cal and Stanford to become a Ute.

http://www.thescore.com/news/852805

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Name:  spacer.gif
Views: 416
Size:  43 Bytes

Tonight, Wednesday, OCT 21

SALT LAKE CITY
    - The Utah men's basketball team will hold its annual season-opening showcase, Night with the Runnin' Utes, on Wednesday, Oct. 21. Doors open at 5 p.m. with the scrimmage starting at 6 p.m.

Also beginning at 5 p.m., doors to the brand New Jon M. & Karen Huntsman Basketball Facility will be open for an exclusive season ticket holder tour. Season ticket holders attending the tour are also asked to bring their gift voucher insert to pick up their season ticket holder gift.

Season ticket holders not attending Night with the Runnin' Utes may still claim their free gift at the exhibition game on Thursday, Nov. 5 against Cal State Monterey or the season-opener, Friday, Nov. 13 when Utah faces Southern Utah.

Beginning at 6 p.m., fans in attendance will get to view the new 3D full court projection video, along with their first look at the 2015-16 Runnin' Utes.

Utah is coming off a 26-9 season in 2014-15 that included the Runnin' Utes picking up a pair of NCAA Tournament victories and making its first Sweet Sixteen appearance since 2005. The Utes return four starters and 10 letterwinners from last season's squad.

Following the conclusion of Night with the Runnin' Utes, the team will sign autographs and visit with their fans on the Huntsman Center court.

The Night w/the Runnin' Utes was awesome! So laid back and relaxed. My two Cougar fans were good sports and had a good time. I promised that if they went to the Huntsman Center with me I'd take them to the Cougar Tip-Off next week...so you know where I'll be next Wednesday...

Here's some pics:

Won't be this close to the court the rest of the season. Our seats are in section PP.

Name:  20151021_191242 (1024x576).jpg
Views: 527
Size:  70.2 KB

The boys with Dakari Tucker.

Name:  20151021_200035 (1024x576).jpg
Views: 524
Size:  54.0 KB

Trevor getting some autographs.

Name:  20151021_202016 (1024x576).jpg
Views: 518
Size:  57.0 KB

The boys getting Jakob's autograph.

Name:  20151021_202330 (1024x576).jpg
Views: 483
Size:  56.6 KB

Brandon opted for the signature on the forehead.

Name:  20151021_202352 (1024x576).jpg
Views: 502
Size:  50.3 KB

Cool.

Name:  20151021_203859 (1024x576).jpg
Views: 449
Size:  45.5 KB

Lady Runnin' Utes.

Name:  20151021_202448 (1024x576).jpg
Views: 493
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  20151021_202554 (1024x576).jpg
Views: 508
Size:  62.4 KB

Name:  20151021_202620 (1024x576).jpg
Views: 446
Size:  53.4 KB

​Brandon Taylor.

Name:  20151021_202635 (1024x576).jpg
Views: 461
Size:  60.7 KB

Isaiah Wright and Brekott Chapman.

Name:  20151021_203417 (1024x576).jpg
Views: 492
Size:  49.5 KB

J Love.

Name:  20151021_203520 (1024x576).jpg
Views: 475
Size:  63.7 KB

Center Court.

Name:  20151021_203648 (1024x576).jpg
Views: 482
Size:  59.7 KB

Ogbe, Jakob, noob ? and Reyes.

Name:  20151021_204620 (1024x576).jpg
Views: 419
Size:  59.9 KB

If you missed last night's game against BYU...you missed a (another) good one.

Jakob dominated in the paint.

Name:  Jakob.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  31.6 KB

Kafusi was no match for Jakob.

Name:  Jakob and Kafusi.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  41.7 KB

Jakob finished with 26 points, 13 rebounds and 5 blocked shots.

Name:  Jakob 2.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  32.2 KB

Colinsworth trying to get around Jordan.

Name:  Colinsworth and Loveridge.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  46.5 KB

Kenneth Ogbe had his first start of the season and had a fantastic night.

Name:  Kenneth.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  39.0 KB

Brandon Taylor showing Emery how it's done.

Name:  Brandon.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  52.3 KB

Name:  Brandon 2.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  40.1 KB

And then the lowpoint of the game...BYU's Nick Emery punched Brandon and sent him to the floor.

Name:  Brandon on floor.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  40.6 KB

Emery was ejected and hit the showers early. A few fans threw objects on the floor and after repeated warnings, the officials gave the crowd a technical.

Name:  Emery hitting showers early.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  65.2 KB

Team shot with Deseret 1st CU Duel trophy.

Name:  team.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  70.7 KB

All pics from DN.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ooting-52.html

Yeah great game. All the talk today has been about that sucker punch.

Worth the watch...

Utes choke to the Cardinal in OT...<sigh> C'mon Utah, you're better than that!

That was an ugly way to lose.

They gave it away. Pathetic loss...

Another conference loss. What a joke...

What the HELL?!

So the Utes can go beat Duke on their home court, but we can't knock off two unranked Pac 12 teams? What's really going on here?

No, I don't like this decision at all. This was one of the best games of the year.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...-everyone.html

Peavler: Canceling the BYU-Utah game next season is a loss for everyone

BYU and Utah will not play basketball for the first time since World War II next season after the Utes decided to cancel next year's game in Provo.

This is one of those rare instances in sports where everyone involved loses.

Utah head coach Larry Krystokowiak has said that this game is being canceled because "the level of emotions has escalated to the point where there is the potential for serious injury." Supposedly this is in reaction to BYU's Nick Emery throwing a punch at the end of Utah's last game against the Cougars.

And it's pure nonsense.

Doesn't anyone remember how Krystokowiak played back in the day? He played with a tough intensity, and he coaches with that same intensity today. That's part of what made him a good player and a solid coach.

What kind of message is Krystokowiak sending with this move? What happens if a Colorado player loses his cool and throws an elbow at a Utah player in Tuesday's game in Boulder? Would Krystokowiak insist on taking theUtes out of the Pac-12 for safety reasons?

Worse still, what happens if one of his own players loses his cool and throws a punch or an elbow? Wouldn't the Pac-12 be justified in throwing the Utes out of the conference for safety reasons, according to Krystokowiak's own logic?

Of course not. That's why this move looks bad.

After all, it's happened at Utah before. Marshall Henderson threw a punch at BYU's Jackson Emery back in 2010. Basketball is an emotional game. Players sometimes do things that they regret in the heat of the moment.
    Also, what kind of message is Krystokowiak sending to his own team with this move? Does Krystokowiak think so little of his own players that they can't handle a game against that mean, "dirty" BYU basketball team?

I'd be insulted if I was a Utah player.

Really, what does Utah have to be afraid of? Yes, BYU returns some quality talent from missions and the next game is in Provo, but Utah will have a quality team as well next season. Playing BYU on the road would have helped Utah's non-conference RPI with a win, and losing to the Cougars wouldn't have hurt them much in getting a bid to the NCAA Tournament. This could have been a hard-fought, fun rivalry game that could have gone either way.

Now, we'll never know.

Can you imagine Duke's Mike Krzyzewski making such a petty-looking move if one of his players was punched in a rivalry game against North Carolina? Of course not. To interrupt one of college basketball's finest rivalry series would be nothing short of basketball blasphemy.

Nobody wins with this decision. Utah loses a quality opponent, has to pay $80,000 to BYU and looks like a kid taking his ball and going home. BYU also loses a quality opponent and a chance to play a rivalry game on its home floor. The players lose the experience of playing in this storied rivalry. The fans lose what could have been an exciting and meaningful rivalry game.

Even if you believe that the rivalry has become too heated, Krystokowiak and the Utes are missing out on an opportunity to cool things down the right way. LaVell Edwards and Ron McBride did just that in football. Why couldn't Krystokowiak try to do something similar with BYU's Dave Rose instead of canceling this game in a huff?

Even members of the national media are weighing in on this senseless loss of a great rivalry game. Yahoo Sports' Jeff Eisenberg had some strong words to say about it.

Cluck, cluck, cluck.... says Krystokowiak....
    Life is Good

I have to say this really surprised me. I think there is a lot more to the story than we are being told.

Could be. Runnin' Ute basketball is taking some national heat on this decision. I will say that after the Utah/BYU game this year the only one who seemed in need of anger management was Krystokowiak. I generally admire passion but he seemed really affected after the BYU game, perhaps more so than a coach should.
    Life is Good

I wouldn't be surprised if this has something to do with the slap on the hand Emery received following the cheap shot.

Emery avenges what happened to his brother years ago and all he has to do is miss an easy win (or what should have been) for the Cougars.

There is no place in basketball for behavior like that. If anyone punches another player he should be suspended for way more than 1 game.

Pardon the Interruption hosts Michael Wilbon And Tony Kornheiser weigh in on ESPN

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14525988

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Pardon the Interruption hosts Michael Wilbon And Tony Kornheiser weigh in on ESPN

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14525988

That is the biggest bunch of nonsense I have heard from those two. There is no "let this thing cool down" conflict here. This is a joke and any honest fan on either side knows it.
    Life is Good

What annoys me even more than cancelling the games are all the dumbass politician's jumping into the mess with comments like "we need to look at this on a legislative level". And my answer to that is no you don't as you have actual important issues to address. In the end this is just sports and no one is going to die or go hungry if the game is not played. The sun will still rise in the east and set in the west tomorrow. This will all work itself out in the not to distant future and after Krisco makes his point.