Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: What will reduce Gun Violence in the U.S.?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    If you want to eliminate mass shootings--ban democrats from owning guns--it's that easy, including the last act of terror.
    There might not be any atheists in the foxholes, but, when was the last time an angry psycho atheist committed mass murder?

Believe in God? No guns for you.

Worlds problems solved. You're welcome!

2. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    There might not be any atheists in the foxholes, but, when was the last time an angry psycho atheist committed mass murder?

See--thats where your myth doesn't gain any traction,

The folks who carry out mass murders--despite yours and others rhetoric,(which is all it is)

Are not angry, white,Christian, rednecks with jacked up trucks and NRA bumper stickers, it's just not(I know your waiting and hoping)

It's generally previously diagnosed mental patients, that slip through the cracks.

And you know how we all know they are mental patients---they vote democrat.

Seriously--they have all been liberal democrats....

Cruz 2016
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Need I point out that the mass murderers with the highest body counts were godless communist dictators...

@"Brian in SLC "
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    I don't really see how anyone could believe that Liberals would somehow be more in favor of freedom than Conservatives.
    Please note that I didn't say, I don't see what's not to like about Republicans. I said "I don't really see how anyone could believe that Liberals would somehow be more in favor of freedom than Conservatives"

Extending tax breaks that should have expired in 2013?
    Taxation revokes a certain level of Freedom, how can you say that a tax break is anti-Freedom?

Bridge to Nowhere?
    What freedom could the “Bridge to Nowhere” possible take away?

Student Loan Relief Act?
    What does this have to do with Freedom?

Campaign Finance Reform?
    You mean the “McCain – Feingold Act”? Who do you believe the Feingold is of the Feingold Act?
    Not to mention the fact that McCain is a Republican but by no means is he a “Conservative”

Disclose Act?
    You mean the bill sponsored by Democrats about taking Freedom away from business owner, operators, and contractors to contribute to politicians without making public declaration of said donation?
    I can see how you'd be in favor, but I don't see how more regulations would make us a freer society.

How many attempts to repeal the Affordable Care Act? 50?
    You may be in favor of the Affordable Care Act, but I don’t see how you can argue that forcing someone to purchase something they may not want, and removing their ability to choose what type of healthcare plan they purchase somehow makes you “more free”.

Debt ceiling? Shutting down the government? Cost the taxpayers zillions...wasting time instead of doing their job.
    The Democrats have passed 1 budget in the last 7 years and you blame the Conservatives? Our Government is setup to “shutdown” when we are out of money, but our current politicians play political games and accuse attempts of being fiscally responsible of hating children and the Elderly.

Derivatives deregulation?
    You may be in favor of regulations, but the very definition of regulate is to control. Freedom pretty much the opposite of being controlled.

That said, part of the problem we have now is Crony capitalism. Most conservatives believe that in order for us to be truly free, we must be free to fail. So we are not in favor of Government bailouts, regulations, or even requirements to be licensed by the Government.

My belief in freedom is so strong, that I believe that if a person wants to visit a witch doctor, instead of a licensed physician they should be able to do so. But just to prove that I am not crazy, I would not visit a witch doctor but instead someone who has passed Medical School and is experienced. I just believe that other people should be able to do pretty much whatever they want, as long as it does not impact the freedom of others.

Clean water rules?
    Defunding the futures trading commission?
    Criminal Code Improvement Act of 2015?
    As I go through your list, I’m not sure you understand what Freedom means. I feel like you largely made a list of what you don’t like about what you perceive to be Republican laws (again a number of things listed were created by Democrats and/or were bipartisan) but no where did you make an argument for “Liberals being more in favor of freedom”. Being anti-Republican and even being against the things you perceive to be Republican attacks on Freedom is not the same thing as showing in what ways Liberals are larger proponents of Freedom.

P.S. Please also note that I am not a Republican (well I guess I am registered as one because I want to have a say in Utah politics, but so is my Sister-in-law who is a Democrat). Many Democrats are Liberals but seemingly few Republicans are Conservatives. This article points out that there are “at least” 173 R.I.N.O.s in the current Congress. People like Orrin Hatch and John McCain are certainly Republican but they are FAR from “conservative”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...14th-congress/
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

I just believe that other people should be able to do pretty much whatever they want, as long as it does not impact the freedom of others.
    I assume that you are a libertarian? Libertarians tend to be fiscal and economic conservatives, but moral and social liberals.

Generally conservatives believe in smaller government for economic issues and liberals believe in smaller government for social issues. Libertarians believe in smaller government for both.

Anyway, I also believe in your sentence above, but some issues could be argued either way.

A good example to start with would be the Clean Air Act. Would it be an example or curtailing freedom or allowing freedom?

Some could argue that it curtails freedom because it restricts certain businesses or individuals from polluting. On the other hand it can be said that people also have a right to not to breath the pollutants that are being put out by factories or automobiles.

Abortion can also be argued either way, as could public land issues, etc.

As far as whether or not claimed conservatives or liberal law makes curtail hinder freedom more in recent decades, I'd say that it is hard to say. For example, Utah is supposedly the most conservative state, but it has the most strict laws when it comes to gambling or alcohol.

As mentioned, by definition, conservatives believe in small government for economic and fiscal issues and liberals believe in small government for social issues. Of course as you point out, politicians do not follow the platform of what definitions are supposed to be.

Also, I know that many people including myself and probably most others have mixed views siding with different sides for different issues.

My own thought is that both main parties today need to be ditched. Bi-partisanship doesn't exist anymore unless politicians do so for their own gain, or so it seems. If a Democrat visited the park and said how cute a duck is, a Republican will come out with a policy against ducks, since ducks are evil. Well, that's really not a good example, but you get the idea.

Also, the three branches of government are not working as they are supposed to. For example, the Executive Branch of Government (of which the President belongs to) is not the branch of Government that is supposed to make the laws. It is the branch of Government that is supposed to ensure that the people follow the laws. Look how messed up that has become (and I am referring to both political parties and past presidents). Even if I agree with a law that the President or a crony has proposed, that's not how our government is supposed to work. It has been Congress won't work with the president and vice versa, but they aren't really supposed to either. They aren't supposed to be against each other either. They are supposed to balance each other.

It is no wonder that the country is so divided and messed up right now. Personally, I wish we would refer to each other as Americans, not just Democrats vs. Republicans, atheist vs Christians, liberals vs. conservatives. It doesn't mean we all have to agree on everything and in fact disagreements and diversities can be good, but it should mean that we're all in this together. I long for the days when we can refer to each other as Americans rather than always having to put a label on us just because we may believe a certain way about politics, religion, etc.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I assume that you are a libertarian
    I have a lot of Libertarian views, but I wouldn’t identify myself as such.

Utah is supposedly the most conservative state, but it has the most strict laws when it comes to gambling or alcohol.
    Great example! I have no idea how a state which prides itself on being so “conservative” can have a State run liquor store. The Government (outside of possibly selling liquor licenses) has no business being in the alcohol business.

Plenty of Republicans can be onboard with it, but I don’t believe any true Conservatives would be.

Also, I know that many people including myself and probably most others have mixed views siding with different sides for different issues.

My own thought is that both main parties today need to be ditched. Bi-partisanship doesn't exist anymore unless politicians do so for their own gain, or so it seems. If a Democrat visited the park and said how cute a duck is, a Republican will come out with a policy against ducks, since ducks are evil. Well, that's really not a good example, but you get the idea.
    I totally agree! This is in part why I do not identify myself as belonging to a Political Party. This may sound like a stretch but Ralph Nader to me is a great example of what is wrong with Political Parties. I used to be a big fan (I even voted for him in 2000, and 2004). He came and spoke to my school while I was in college and I became very disillusioned with him. Nader started out a consumer advocate who fought for the little guy, but the speech he gave at UVU was clearly anti-big business. I don’t want to belong to any organization which is more anti than pro.

Also, the three branches of government are not working as they are supposed to. For example, the Executive Branch of Government (of which the President belongs to) is not the branch of Government that is supposed to make the laws. It is the branch of Government that is supposed to ensure that the people follow the laws. Look how messed up that has become (and I am referring to both political parties and past presidents). Even if I agree with a law that the President or a crony has proposed, that's not how our government is supposed to work. It has been Congress won't work with the president and vice versa, but they aren't really supposed to either. They aren't supposed to be against each other either. They are supposed to balance each other.
    I totally agree. We have strayed from the Constitution and now we are without checks & balance. I don’t know what (if anything) could get us back on track.

It is no wonder that the country is so divided and messed up right now. Personally, I wish we would refer to each other as Americans, not just Democrats vs. Republicans, atheist vs Christians, liberals vs. conservatives. It doesn't mean we all have to agree on everything and in fact disagreements and diversities can be good, but it should mean that we're all in this together. I long for the days when we can refer to each other as Americans rather than always having to put a label on us just because we may believe a certain way about politics, religion, etc.
    Again, I couldn’t agree more. My personal belief is that the average person in our country in a civil discourse can see eye to eye with even those they perceive to have opposing political views. Political parties, the Media, and special interest groups intentionally divide us for their own gain. I believe that individually are not nearly as divided as we are led to believe.

In a recent Facebook conversation with a friend, I suggested the following to resolve Mass Shootings and other major social problems:

I believe the solution would need to address a broader cultural problem and not just this one issue. My plan would be to fundamentally fix the country and I believe this would be resolved (except for the case of severe mental health issues) with it.

None of the things that I suggest would be popular but I believe they would be effective.

1. Create tax incentives to allow one parent to stay home to help raise the children (as much as possible). This doesn't have to be the woman (a number of people close to me have the Father stay home and the children are blessed for it).

2. With turning away from God (which our culture has in many ways) we have abandoned institutions where Youth learn service, discipline, team building etc. I would encourage more youth participate in organizations like the Boy Scouts, to promote growth within the individuals. For the record, when I mention our country "turning away from God", I am not saying that "mass shootings" are some sort of punishment for not worshiping God or something. But rather I am drawing a direct correlation in the decline of our country's interest in religion, with the decrease of social lessons associated with religion.

3. Get the people (especially the Youth) away from the television and into the Outdoors. Recent studies suggest that spending time in the wilderness is a major stress reliever for children and may be important to their development.

http://www.outsideonline.com/.../daily-dose-ecotherapy...

4. Promote more family time. I believe that people already know that guns are dangerous and a gun awareness program would do little. Instead promote a culture which has a strong emphasis in the family.

5. Keep score in youth sports. This may seem petty, but I believe that part of our problem is that we live in a nerf world, where we strive to be equal in all things. Let kids know from a young age that there are winners and losers and that is ok.

6. When you have a situation like this where it was clearly terrorism, don't call it "workplace violence". Instead address the issue head on, and develop a plan to thwart future terrorist attacks. The concept of disarming Americans because terrorists are attacking, is crazy to me.

7. Most difficult: Create a cultural shift from requiring everyone to be politically correct, and adjust our focus to understanding eachother. People take offense instead of focusing on the common ground. Nothing will be fix as long as both side are focused on blaming the other.

~

I don't know, I guess I will stop because I could likely go on forever. Have you ever read Giuliani's book "Leadership"? I strongly subscribe to his broken glass philosophy, and I believe the solutions for all of our problems are more pertaining to family values and less with legislation.

I have no idea how a state which prides itself on being so “conservative” can have a State run liquor store.
    I have noticed that many politicians who refer to themselves as conservatives, only mean so when it comes to Federal Government. The aren't necessarily for smaller State governments. Or so it seems to me, from my experience living in Utah.

1. Create tax incentives to allow one parent to stay home to help raise the children (as much as possible). This doesn't have to be the woman (a number of people close to me have the Father stay home and the children are blessed for it).
    More than not working or getting tax incentives, I think just finding time to spend with your children is the solution. Some working parents spend more time with there children than non-working parents. Now days household chores don't take as long as they used to, so it is possible to balance work and kids (then again my wife and kids went somewhere today because I had to work in the morning).

2. With turning away from God (which our culture has in many ways) we have abandoned institutions where Youth learn service, discipline, team building etc. I would encourage more youth participate in organizations like the Boy Scouts, to promote growth within the individuals. For the record, when I mention our country "turning away from God", I am not saying that "mass shootings" are some sort of punishment for not worshiping God or something. But rather I am drawing a direct correlation in the decline of our country's interest in religion, with the decrease of social lessons associated with religion.
    I used to feel that may and have made many post on Bogley supporting that viewpoint. I'm beginning to change my viewpoint though. There sure do seem to be a lot of hateful people that are religious (including some Christians and Mormons) and a lot of good people that are not religious. I think social media has made this even more apparent. For example, I cringe to see the kinds of things some of my so-called friends and fellow Church members are posting on places like Facebook, even those in higher ward positions (I am actually in the bishopric of an LDS ward).

Even though I am in a "high position" in a church, I no longer see much of a correlation between religious and non-religious people when it comes to be a decent human being. In fact the most secular nations have lower crime rates than religious nations for whatever reason. Obviously (at least I hope it is obvious), I believe religion to be important and I am not against religion, but can't say that I still believe that religious people in general are somehow better than the non-religious. This is the opposite viewpoint that I used to post on Bogley and elsewhere.

3. Get the people (especially the Youth) away from the television and into the Outdoors. Recent studies suggest that spending time in the wilderness is a major stress reliever for children and may be important to their development.

http://www.outsideonline.com/.../daily-dose-ecotherapy...

4. Promote more family time. I believe that people already know that guns are dangerous and a gun awareness program would do little. Instead promote a culture which has a strong emphasis in the family.

5. Keep score in youth sports. This may seem petty, but I believe that part of our problem is that we live in a nerf world, where we strive to be equal in all things. Let kids know from a young age that there are winners and losers and that is ok.
    Agree with all of the above. I agree with #5, but also it is good if kids aren't super good in order to join a team. I believe access to wilderness is very important. National Park support used to be bipartisan, but not so much anymore.

6. When you have a situation like this where it was clearly terrorism, don't call it "workplace violence". Instead address the issue head on, and develop a plan to thwart future terrorist attacks.

I agree with this, but it should also be pointed out that only a small percentage of murders in the US are because of terrorism or mass shootings. That doesn't mean (by any means) that terrorism threats should be downplayed, but there are other dangers that need to be addressed as well.

As for myself, I'm fairly neutral when it comes to gun control. I do however believe background checks are a good idea.

I have an in-law (who shall remain nameless) who has threatened to kill my parents many times and has all kinds of access to guns. He also has mental issues. Should he have access to guns? I don't know where to draw the line.

7. Most difficult: Create a cultural shift from requiring everyone to be politically correct, and adjust our focus to understanding eachother. People take offense instead of focusing on the common ground. Nothing will be fix as long as both side are focused on blaming the other.
    I agree, within reason. It is also both parties (and maybe every group) that is taking offense to everything.

I think we should be politically correct when it comes to calling people racial slurs, derogatory comments towards women, or any other people (without cause and simply because they are of a certain race, sex, belief, etc.), but taking offense to everything is stupid.

Since it's that time of year, no one should be offended if someone says Merry Christmas, but no one should be offended if someone wanted to say Happy Holidays.

I think I would disagree with your previous statement that is only or mostly the liberals doing this. Look how many so called conservatives are getting offended at things like the design of a Christmas cup (Starbucks hates Jesus) or how many people are offended at the phrase Happy Holidays. I don't think there is any difference of people getting offended if someone says Merry Christmas or if a business wants to say Happy Holidays.

Of course that's a whole different topic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing not said above though is the role of the media in violence and fear. You would think that by the way the media reports everything that this is that things are worse now then they have ever been. As someone pointed out earlier, crime rates are at a historic low. Actually, deaths from warfare (from a population standpoint) are near or at historic lows as well. The way the media reports it, the world is ready to crash and burn with every passing second. There are lots of positive things going on as well. That doesn't mean that we should let our guards down, but there is more than gloom and doom happening in the world as well.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

More than not working or getting tax incentives, I think just finding time to spend with your children is the solution. Some working parents spend more time with there children than non-working parents.
    That is certainly true. My brother became a stay at home Dad about 5 years ago, and the improvement in his children was amazing. I think having parents who are really checked in makes a huge difference and it is difficult to offer tax incentives for being a good parent but having a stay at home parent is a metric easy enough to track.

There sure do seem to be a lot of hateful people that are religious (including some Christians and Mormons) and a lot of good people that are not religious… no longer see much of a correlation between religious and non-religious people when it comes to be a decent human being.
    Sure. I’m with you. I am not saying everyone needs to go back to church, or worship God to be good. It works for me and my family, but I get that everyone needs to do what works for them. I was referring more to programs like Scouting where (traditionally) boys have been taught good life skills, instilled good values, and experienced some risks while doing hard things. The military could just has easily fill this role (again largely a non-secular organization) but it would be a lot less fun that scouting.

In fact the most secular nations have lower crime rates than religious nations for whatever reason.
    This sounds more like correlation and effect rather than cause and effect. With the exception of China (which does not allow religious Freedom) the other secular countries are more developed / educated. I don’t believe that religion (in general) makes people commit crime but rather more likely is these nations are more highly educated and thus more skeptical of God (I’m not saying anything against God or the belief in God here. Just that the idea of God was used for generation to fill the gaps in what mankind could not understand. So if your belief in God was dependent on what you didn’t understand, then the belief of deity decreased with a greater understanding of the world).

I agree with #5, but also it is good if kids aren't super good in order to join a team.
    Sure, but as kids age they should be cut for lack of skill, work ethic, etc. and be allowed to have MVPs, winners, etc.
    Remember the Alanis Morrisette song “Perfect”? There is a line “Don’t forget to win first place” One way we can teach kids that they don’t have to be perfect is allowing them to see that everyone has different talents and you are not expected to be the best (or even great) at everything.

I believe access to wilderness is very important. National Park support used to be bipartisan, but not so much anymore.

I agree with this, but it should also be pointed out that only a small percentage of murders in the US are because of terrorism or mass shootings. That doesn't mean (by any means) that terrorism threats should be downplayed, but there are other dangers that need to be addressed as well.
    True. But cards on the table, most murders (statistically) are black on black crimes and would also be addressed with increased family focus.

I have an in-law (who shall remain nameless) who has threatened to kill my parents many times and has all kinds of access to guns. He also has mental issues. Should he have access to guns? .
    No, he should not. Though the sad part is even without a gun, your family is still at risk.

I think we should be politically correct when it comes to calling people racial slurs, derogatory comments towards women, or any other people (without cause and simply because they are of a certain race, sex, belief, etc.), but taking offense to everything is stupid.
    Sure, I’m with you. I guess my biggest problem with political correctness, is that it is used in such a way that it can destroy people. I believe you should seek understanding before offense but even if someone says something genuinely offensive (like Mel Gibson towards Jews), people should be able to be forgiven over time and frequently they are written off forever.

Since it's that time of year, no one should be offended if someone says Merry Christmas, but no one should be offended if someone wanted to say Happy Holidays.

Agreed. I don’t see how anyone can take offense at someone wishing them a happy holiday, Hanukkah, Christmas, etc.. But sadly people in both camps get offended.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing not said above though is the role of the media in violence and fear. You would think that by the way the media reports everything that this is that things are worse now then they have ever been. As someone pointed out earlier, crime rates are at a historic low. Actually, deaths from warfare (from a population standpoint) are near or at historic lows as well. The way the media reports it, the world is ready to crash and burn with every passing second. There are lots of positive things going on as well. That doesn't mean that we should let our guards down, but there is more than gloom and doom happening in the world as well.[/QUOTE]

I watched a couple of American propaganda videos from 1945 about Japan. Some parts reminded me of “The Office” when Michael Scott says “You will never come together as one to defeat us”. It just seemed so blatant and I had the thought that people in 1945 must have been far more trusting of our Government to accept that. Then I wondered how much more effectively our Government uses propaganda today, and what people 70 years from now will say about us.
    <br>http://<a href="https://www.youtube....fD9eAFXSvA</a>

@"Brian in SLC "
    Okay, cards on the table. Do you actually believe the things you say or are you just trolling?

Just for anyone else who may not know,

Jared Lee Loughner (the guy who shot Gabby Giffords) is an atheist who not only injured 13 people with a gun but killed 6 in that attack is an atheist.

Timothy McVeigh (Oklahoma City Bombing) was an atheist.

The list goes on and on, but the point is that this is not just a Christian / Religious thing.

Do you actually believe the things you say or are you just trolling?
    I believe he's making fun of the post he was quoting which says that banning democrats from owning guns will eliminate mass shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    @"Brian in SLC "
    Okay, cards on the table. Do you actually believe the things you say or are you just trolling?

Just for anyone else who may not know,

Jared Lee Loughner (the guy who shot Gabby Giffords) is an atheist who not only injured 13 people with a gun but killed 6 in that attack is an atheist.

Timothy McVeigh (Oklahoma City Bombing) was an atheist.

The list goes on and on, but the point is that this is not just a Christian / Religious thing.
    Mostly a response to the Democrat thing (which Scott referenced). But, it makes me wonder about the correlation between religion and killing oreven just being disrespectful.

McVeigh wasn't an avowed atheist at the time he killed all those people. His history is a strange de-conversion then just before his execution he took the sacrament. Who knows what he really believed?

Loughner is certifiably crazy.

Its interesting to me that most of my rabid 2nd amendment friends are strongly Christian. Cause and effect? I dunno.

'Preciate the dialog.

Its interesting to me that most of my rabid 2nd amendment friends are strongly Christian. Cause and effect? I dunno.
    I think it has more to do with you either support the constitution and bill of rights or you do not. If one of your rights is allowed to be usurpered it sets a bad president for taking others.

Many mistake my support of the entire constitution as being pro gun, but they are wrong as I'm actually pro Constitution. It's just that the 2nd amendment is the part the is currently under siege.

FWIW I'm atheist. But I also believe you either support the constitution or you do not. We don't get to pick and choose to support just the parts that appeal to us.

16. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    FWIW I'm atheist. But I also believe you either support the constitution or you do not. We don't get to pick and choose to support just the parts that appeal to us.
    So...regulate me already....sheez...

Cheers...and...we should get together soon. You and your's and me and mine. Just about got my pizza recipe perfected and I need some victims to try it out on...

18. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

20. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Nice when one controls the "list"
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

22. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    WOW... Obama just sucked ISIL dick on live TV.

Not sure how we stop it. If you bring a bigger gun someone brings a nuke. One thing I do know is all good peeps want Freedom. Family, And to prosper all around this world. I say kill isis and don't stop till we are all govment free world wide... I know way to rad right? But it would be a great start...... Then we take care of these punks like Gang bangers. It will never happen and will only get worse. I'm not a bible thumper but I do read. We are doomed and will go out like the dynos. Sad part is our time here will be but a drop in the bucket of time on this great planet.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

26. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    anyone have an answer?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?