Thread: Kolob Creek MIA or Overnighter

Kolob Creek MIA or Overnighter

It seems that most people do the infamous MIA exit when taking on Kolob Creek. We have been contemplating a visit to Kolob Creek for some time. Gear preparation is in order, if not this September, then a year from now. We have a variety of people going. Some young and energetic, some not so much. If taking the overnight variation, where do most folks camp? And, how many hours are expected to do the narrows exit, as from the MIA climb up point? Is 6-8 hours reasonable to expect for that portion?

Thanks
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure where you could camp on the MIA since that area is mostly (if not all) private property.

I'm not sure on the camping in Kolob Creek headed towards the Narrows. I know Bluugnome.com (Luke) wrote up a TR and his thoughts on taking that route. From that I can remember - 6-8hours sounds right.

The MIA might take you an hour to hour 1/2 just for the exit. And then another 45-60mins for the road.

But of course, you will need to haul all your camping gear, which may dissuade a few people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Everything you need to know about exiting out The Narrows, including campsites is on Climb-Utah.com.

I enjoy the leisurely two day exit out The Narrows route. If you haven't done it you should. There's some fun stuff between the MIA and the Virgin River. And a leisurely hike down the Narrows is enjoyable when you are not being rushed for time and trying to catch the last shuttle.

Site 5 in the Narrows is right by where Kolob enters the Narrows. I stayed at that camp spot with my 9 year old son in June. From there it took about 7 hours to hike out to the riverside walk. This I felt was slow as it was his first time carrying a backpack. It could have easily been much quicker than that.