Thread: A different flavor: Ticino, Switzerland!

A different flavor: Ticino, Switzerland!

I had heard fantastic things about European canyoning and decided to take a stab at it. I was fortunate to be connected (via mutual friends) with the RIGHT people in Ticino (Southern Switzerland). I owe these new friends a great deal of gratitude.

Here is some eye candy and musings from a couple of days of adventures:

Some thoughts:

1) Popularity: Canyoning is really a thing here. It's advertised, there are TONS of guiding services, equipment rental shops, and a WHOLE LOT of canyoneers. It's shocking, even compared to prime-time Zion, how popular canyoning is here and how mainstream it is. (You dont have to explain to people what your sport is...over, and over, and over again)

2) Toboggans/Slides: OH MY WORD!!! I've done a few toboggans in British Columbia before but they really mean business here in Europe. I sat at the top of some of these asking this question: Seriously...is this really a toboggan? Some start as a slide and then turn into a free fall, some are disjointed (for a moment you go airborn and then return to the slide).

3) Jumps: They jump A LOT here in Europe. Technical jumps (ones that require certain skills to come out alive), Matrix style runs that lead into a jump, BIG BIG drops. 30-40 ft drops are not uncommon and there was zero hesitation with the folks I went with.

4) Heli-canyoning: It's a thing... In Ticino for about $40-50/person (with a full chopper) you can be airlifted to the start of your canyon. Between the heli-canyoning outfits and the rescue helicopters I've never seen air traffic like this in my life, little lone over a canyon. It should be noted that rescues are common and I was told that waiting >30 minutes to be airlifted out is extremely uncommon here. Anyone traveling to switzerland to canyon should look into obtaining REGA rescue insurance! It sounds like they've really got the rescue thing figured out here.

5) Anchors: BOLTS, BOLTS, BOLTS. Natural anchors aernt a thing here. The anchors are placed just in the perfect spot for correct rappel lines.

6) Control of access: Some of the canyons here in Ticino are dam controlled. The proper process is to call the water district and they either give or deny you access to the canyon based upon water release rates. You must check in at the start and check out when you are finished. Forgetting to checking out could potentially initiate a rescue. Information such as how many canyoneers are actively in the canyon at that moment are available.

Oh yeah...#7: The color schemes are a bit different....

Name:  DSC09928.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  DSC00142.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  79.8 KB

Name:  DSC00223.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  59.5 KB

Name:  DSC00228.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  90.5 KB

Name:  DSC01187.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  87.2 KB

Name:  DSC01280.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  152.4 KB

Name:  DSC01284.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  144.2 KB

Name:  DSC01318.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  54.6 KB

Name:  DSC01352.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  157.6 KB

Name:  DSC01445.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  53.8 KB

Name:  DSC01469.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  80.9 KB

Name:  DSC09853.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  84.1 KB

Name:  DSC09913.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  216.9 KB
    canyon to the face??? CANYON TO THE FACE!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Oh my! Ugh...one day...ill get to Europe (and New Zealand) and do canyons like these. ..

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts and awesome pictures Erik.

It seems like every Euro canyon is a water canyon. They probably don't have many potholes eh? Just jump, matrix jump, slide, slide, slide and triple back-flip, and jump again. Sounds fun to me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Excellent!