Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Keyhole flash flood deaths

I'm guessing someone in one of the groups that passed them snapped the picture. Experienced canyoneers know the correct spot to suit up is above the first rap and not at the start of the slot where this picture was taken.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I'm guessing someone in one of the groups that passed them snapped the picture. Experienced canyoneers know the correct spot to suit up is above the first rap and not at the start of the slot where this picture was taken.
    I usually suit up here, or at the car. That way my group gets nice and warm before the first swim at the bottom of the first rappel, and we don't need to carry the wetsuits through Upper Keyhole.

I guess I am not a "correct" "experienced canyoneer".

Tom

4. Likes nomad, Get in the Wild liked this post
    The photo of that group puts a knot in my stomach. Why? Because they are having so much fun together. And because I'm no different than them.

Keyhole was our first technical canyon. While we were suiting up, I accidentally put my harness on upside-down because I knew so little about harnesses. Nobody noticed my harness was in that configuration until we were done. We all had a good laugh at the end of the slot.

Some time went by. And we did a whole bunch of canyons.
    ___

A year or two later I visited Keyhole with a couple of buddies that had never seen a slot canyon. When we arrived at the trailhead it was raining cats and dogs. We couldn't even see the lines on the road. We sat in the car and waited. And waited. What are we going to do? Head back to Springdale? Then do what? It was probably 3 or 4 in the afternoon.

After about 30 minutes, the intensity of the rain went from a '10' down to a '4'. Annoying, but not too bad. I suggested that we go to the top of Keyhole to see if the canyon floor was dry. So we hiked up the very wet slickrock, and oddly enough, the floor of the canyon was dry.

We hiked down the slot to the first rap. It was still raining. We peered down the first rap to see a very dry (and smell a very stinky) canyon. Jeez, how often does this thing flash? Once a year? Twice a year? Psssht! If it hasn't flashed already today, it isn't going to flash now! Right?!?

So we dropped in and rushed through. I don't think it stopped sprinkling, even for a minute. It was spooky and fun.
    ___

It rained throughout the night. HARD. I checked the NOAA satellite images and saw that the storm was passing. We were scheduled to do Misery Canyon. So I suggested that we drive to the Misery trailhead and hoped that our timing would work out.

As we drove to the Misery trailhead we passed Keyhole canyon. Keyhole was flashing. Photographers documented the explosion of water erupting from the bottom. It was a sobering sight. A moment that still eats at me. I should have used better judgment.
    ___

It's haunting to see those seven standing in water. Hold on, before I judge them, have I done a canyon while it was flowing? Yes, a couple. Have I done Keyhole while it was raining? Twice. Have I done risky stuff when I've had canyon fever? Far too often.

Once you do a few canyons, you will have stories like this too. You will have a spectrum of moments that range from 'perfectly rational' to 'greedy, sloppy, canyon fever-y'. You will look back and feel lucky. You might look at these seven and feel sadness, because they got their tickets punched far too early, and because they are not that different than you.
    __

My sincere condolences go out to the family and friends of those lost in this accident.

I'm the opposite of everything you just said. I've bailed on plenty of canyons. What to do in Springdale at 4pm? Dunno but I get up at 6am when canyoneering so I'm almost done with my day by then. And I'll happily drive 4-6 hours somewhere else on the Plateau with better weather forecasts.

Trollie McNewmember,

Some folks drive to Zion in the morning, then do Keyhole in the afternoon. Common and reasonable behavior. But you've done lots of canyons, so you already know this.

And sometimes it rains unexpectedly while you are canyoneering, even when due diligence has been done. But you've done lots of canyons, so you already know this too.

But I'm unfamiliar with the driving 4-6 hours, running away from clouds. Could you tell me more about that?

-Bob

8. Likes villainousturtle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    I usually suit up here, or at the car.
    Dang, putting on a wetsuit for Keyhole at the car is a lot like putting on a condom before you pick up your date.

Great post Slot Machine (I wanted to hit the "Like" button 3 or 4 times) and my feelings exactly when I look at that picture.

We come to Utah once a year in August, during the monsoon season to hike and canyoneer. I've watched the weather forecast diligently (some would say obsessively) as we waited to do a canyon. Do we go when the probability of thunder showers says 30%, even when it's perfectly clear at 6:00 in the morning or do we hike instead. How long will it take us to get through the canyon....I'm getting older and slower....can we be out of the technical sections by early afternoon or is that unrealistic. What happens if someone gets hurt or a rope gets stuck.

So far we've been fine, and we don't take chances, but I still keep thinking that picture could have been us.
    I want to be the type of person my dog already thinks I am

Who's the troll? Me? Ha! Pot meet kettle. I guess having a different opinion than you is personal.

Yes, I'm new to the forum, so I should be disrespected, clearly. My canyoneering buddy took a class from Rich back in 2003, I took some classes from Jared at NWO in 2006, and I have been in many canyons in the afternoon in Zion b/c I had to in order to complete them, ala Heaps, Imlay, Kolob, Boundary, Eye of the Needle, blah blah. But hey I'm a troll!

I've been in canyons when it rains, sure. But I have never started one in the rain, as described. And with so many world class canyons in a 6 hour radius in Utah, with different drainage sizes and weather forecasts and drainage material, yes I drive. But hey I'm a troll!

Running away from clouds... that speaks volumes. Yup I'm a coward!

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Trollie McNewmember,

Some folks drive to Zion in the morning, then do Keyhole in the afternoon. Common and reasonable behavior. But you've done lots of canyons, so you already know this.

And sometimes it rains unexpectedly while you are canyoneering, even when due diligence has been done. But you've done lots of canyons, so you already know this too.

But I'm unfamiliar with the driving 4-6 hours, running away from clouds. Could you tell me more about that?

-Bob

12. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by VWSyncro View Post
    My canyoneering buddy took a class from Rich back in 2003,
    Nobody. In the universe. Cares.

You don't get one of Rich's badges of Certified Super-Duper-Ness via osmosis just by standing near your friend.

... and I have been in many canyons in the afternoon in Zion b/c I had to in order to complete them, ala Heaps, Imlay, Kolob, Boundary, Eye of the Needle, blah blah.
    I think you became a Bogley member just you could jerk-off while typing these words.

I've been in canyons when it rains, sure. But I have never started one in the rain, as described.
    Did you miss the part where I realized the gravity of my mistake?

Running away from clouds... that speaks volumes. Yup I'm a coward!
    Not a coward. Just a time waster. Did you know that clouds move? Most clouds move faster than I can drive, so I usually stay put and drink beers, rather than try and run from them.

I'm sorry the sentiment of my post was lost on you. Do you have anything helpful to add to the forum other than "Be safe by driving away from clouds" ?

I'm guessing everywhere you go you often meet people more ignorant than you. You're surrounded by fools!

You have taken my perspective personally and continue to attack me. You did insinuate that I know nothing, that I offered nothing, and have nothing to offer. But I do have decent credentials to know of what I speak. So I'll let future readers form their own opinions; I will now step away and let you bask in your self-superiority. Keep canyoneering!

I'm guessing everywhere you go you often meet people more ignorant than you. You're surrounded by fools!

You have taken my perspective personally and continue to attack me. You did insinuate that I know nothing, that I offered nothing, and have nothing to offer. But I do have decent credentials to know of what I speak. So I'll let future readers form their own opinions; I will now step away and let you bask in your self-superiority. Keep canyoneering!

The whole thing is sad. A wonderful day turned to tragedy. It doesn't really matter if they were experienced or had the right equipment at the right time. 7 people died tragically that's it.

16. Likes BasinCruiser, Slot Machine, jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Dang, putting on a wetsuit for Keyhole at the car is a lot like putting on a condom before you pick up your date.
    I remember suiting up just before the wet section, and i remember that's when I brought out the cucumber.

18. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Thinking about my experience of how I ended up in a rainy narrow slot: it was mid-morning, I knew there were escape routes by checking them out on the way up, knew we could go fast--and did end up BOOKING IT, had been canyoneering a couple years so our skills were decent, were a small group of 2, and we dropped in when it was actually sunny. And we had basically no fun b/c we focused on getting out of there--so there is was very little reward.
    And you knew that:

- the anchors were in good shape and needed no maintenance
    - there was no other group(s) in the canyon ahead of you
    - the canyon was essentially unchanged, obstacle-wise since the last time you visited
    - there was a 0% chance of an accident or other event (e.g. stuck rope) that might slow you down
    - ?

20. Likes harness man, ratagonia liked this post
    Your points are well taken Hank, I'll remember them. Canyoneering is a risk management game, and I'm not an expert at it. That's why I attempt to be conservative. We failed in several ways that day. To fill in the data. We asked ZNP, no one else had pulled a permit for Echo when we got ours, and then we went to the trailhead. So we had made an assumption there which was poor, someone could be poaching it. We did not know the status of the anchors; we checked recent beta, but I'm sure it was weeks old. Fail. We asked and had not heard of new obstacles at the desk or online, and given that it is a trade route, we assumed it was the same. We did see that many parties had gone through in the prior week without known incident. So yeah, fail. We asked about current ice conditions, since we know this had been a prob before. We had 2 short 8mm spectra ropes (since we know this helps go faster and since the raps are short the weight penalty is nil), so if we stuck both we would have been in big trouble on the last 2. Our tiblocs would not have worked too well on those ropes so we screwed that up, altho we were using Attaches with them which helps.

Your points are well taken Hank, I'll remember them. Canyoneering is a risk management game, and I'm not an expert at it. That's why I attempt to be conservative. We failed in several ways that day. To fill in the data. We asked ZNP, no one else had pulled a permit for Echo when we got ours, and then we went to the trailhead. So we had made an assumption there which was poor, someone could be poaching it. We did not know the status of the anchors; we checked recent beta, but I'm sure it was weeks old. Fail. We asked and had not heard of new obstacles at the desk or online, and given that it is a trade route, we assumed it was the same. We did see that many parties had gone through in the prior week without known incident. So yeah, fail. We asked about current ice conditions, since we know this had been a prob before. We had 2 short 8mm spectra ropes (since we know this helps go faster and since the raps are short the weight penalty is nil), so if we stuck both we would have been in big trouble on the last 2. Our tiblocs would not have worked too well on those ropes so we screwed that up, altho we were using Attaches with them which helps.
    VW, that's a generous response to an exercise in nit-picking. That said, little things can grow quickly when playing "beat the reaper". Thanks for the additional info on your trip.

BTW, a report came in during the Zion Rondy of super thick log soup in middle Echo right now. At least as of last Friday. Difficult enough to prompt one party to escape the canyon.

23. Likes darhawk, harness man liked this post
    Blog Entries
    This was shared on CC and thought a few of you might like this too:

A great write up on the entire ordeal: http://graphics.latimes.com/zion-flash-flood/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

25. Likes Glenn, moab mark, Iceaxe, darhawk liked this post
    The story was a good read. Thanks for posting it.

So did we figure out how the photo of them was obtained?

I guess people have a difficult time changing their agenda. I got 5 permits to enter Buckskin June 7th. June is hot but also one of the driest months. June 2015 turned out to be one of the wettest. I checked weather reports from Kanab since that was the Wirepass entry side not knowing that Bryce is what feeds Buckskin. When we arrived water was running
    3500, normally 160 and there was 40 percent chance rain. We decide to shuttle to Whitehouse and wait a day and if the water levels changed we would hike up Paria and camp at the confluence and go up Buckskin as for as we could go as a day hike.The water levels didn't go down and we even got rained on at the Whitehouse campground. Decision time. One person I my group wanted to try hiking up stream. I told him he could do whatever he wanted to do but I disagree and would look for alternate hikes. I had marked my map with Plan C, which was about 15 other slots in the area. After talking to the Ranger, I learned they were all fed by Bryce. Rangers are SO knowledgeable! We completely changed our itinerary and did Antelope Canyon, Cathedral Wash and hiked to the Garden Wall. Nothinv to write home about but I am so glad my group discussed all our options and together we chose the safest alternatives. Even if you hold a permit every member of your party needs to be included in all situations and aware of what they are getting themselves in to and make their own decisions of whether or not to enter a canyon. AND have a back up plan even if it is not as fun as the original plan. I am not sure I would enter a canyon even with a 20 percent chance thunderstorm. There is a fine line at that point. I would like to hear other more dxperiencdd canyoneers thought on what percentage of rain would change their mind on entering a canyon. Also I was thinking the same thing as one of the other posters. Why pick up a permit at 7:30 but not enter untol 3:30?. That doesn't sound like a experienced canyoneer to me.

29. Likes harness man, jman, ratagonia liked this post
    I'd be interested to know two things (for the sake of learning, and not finger pointing)
    1. The folks who took their picture --> What made them think it was ok to do Keyhole at that time of the day?
    2. The guide who instructed them that day --> Did he/she cover weather conditions in class? Did he/she provided any recommendation not to do a canyon that day in the afternoon (often guides asks participants to go and test their new skills as soon and as often as possible...once again...not finger pointing...just curious)?