Thread: Backpacking into the Wind RIvers: Island Lake, Titcomb & Indian Basin, and Fremont!

Backpacking into the Wind RIvers: Island Lake, Titcomb & Indian Basin, and Fremont!

For the beauty of the earth,
    for the glory of the skies,
    for the love which from our birth
    over and around us lies;
    Lord of all, to thee we raise
    this our hymn of grateful praise.

For the beauty of each hour
    of the day and of the night,
    hill and vale, and tree and flower,
    sun and moon, and stars of light;

For the joy of ear and eye,
    for the heart and mind's delight,
    for the mystic harmony,
    linking sense to sound and sight;

For the joy of human love,
    brother, sister, parent, child,
    friends on earth and friends above,
    for all gentle thoughts and mild;

- For the Beauty of the Earth by Folliott S. Pierpoint, 1835-1917

This backpacking trip was years in the making! On August 18th the dream became a reality. Adam and I embarked with our packs into the heart of the Wind River Mountain Range.

Preparation for this trip began months in advance. Last winter I began measuring and documenting th weights for all of my gear. And a few months ago I began tweaking my food menu. All that planning payed off! At the beginning of this trip I had a fully loaded pack that only weighed 36lbs! For 6 days, lived off of 10 lbs of food and I was happy to say that I ate well and never felt hungry after my meals.

I few notes about the trip

We had to change plans because my friend got shin splints on the first day. He was carrying a ~60lb pack and after 15 miles of hiking, he was hurting pretty bad. I was amazed at his positive attitude and his ability to push through the pain. I could hardly tell that he was even hurting, even though he said he was experiencing great pain.

Because of my friends shin, we opted to stick to trails we knew and were not able to complete our planned loop through Alpine Lakes and Cook Lakes. Instead we spent more time exploring Island Lake and camped at Hobbs Lake for our last night.

I spent $70 for wyoming fishing license, and this is all I was able to catch! haha

CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction, whansen liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Fishing on the popular trails in the Wind Rivers, forget about it. Fishing on the non-popular trails, crazy good!

5. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Yeah. i should have tried harder on some of the other days, but I was so tired from walking, i just enjoyed many of the evening around camp. Looking forward to getting back again and trying some other lakes and streams, a bit further in.
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Did you take 30 GoPro batteries to get all that video? Sweet Video

8. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hikster11 View Post
    Did you take 30 GoPro batteries to get all that video? Sweet Video
    LOL! I have a Goal Zero solar charger. I use it on multi day trips to keep my batteries charged. worked pretty well! for the most part I had a powered gopro and Phone when I needed it.

I use my phone for my GPS now, and having it always powered up is critical.
    My YouTube Channel

When you do your night time lapse shot do you have some bigger battery pack you plug into the camera. I only get a few hours out of my GoPro batteries.

I have used a battery pack before, But for these shots I just used my normal batteries.
    My YouTube Channel