Thread: Best Topo Maps for UT / Zion for Garmin Oregon 600

Best Topo Maps for UT / Zion for Garmin Oregon 600

I purchased a Garmin Oregon 600 as a primary GPS. What are the best sources for Topo maps for UT and ZNP? How does one load them onto the unit from Base Camp?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

GPS File Depot. They are free and I've always been happy withe the "Editor's Choice Maps" for the entire state.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

Blog Entries
    Hi AlohaChris,

While there are some good commerical maps available (and usually at a $100 price range), I found this site (although, it hasn't been updated for a few years now) has been very reliable and accurate with his maps....oh, and free (cause free is always the right price).

http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_uttopo.html

And on his page, and to answer your question, he gives some instructions on how to use it and transfer the maps over.

Btw - when you bought the Oregon 600, did it include the 1yr-free membership to "Birds-Eye" ? If so, then take advantage of that offer! It's nice to have satellite images on your GPS.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Parmenter View Post
    GPS File Depot. They are free and I've always been happy withe the "Editor's Choice Maps" for the entire state.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/
    Another vote for GPS File Depot. The "BRCA-ZION-CARE-Hikes" topo (Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands, Arches) is great for detail, but go ahead an load the "Utah Topo 2011" as backup for areas outside the park.

Loading those maps is easy. You just download an executable and let it extract the map data into a folder on your computer. Start Base Camp and you'll see the new maps under the "Maps" tab. Then, connect your Garmin Oregon and use the "Install Maps" option (under "Maps" tab) to upload the maps to your device.

You can enable/disable different maps on your Garmin as-needed. Also note that you have to select a specific map source in Base Camp in order to view it; they're not all visible at the same time.

-Glenn

Blog Entries
    To those who like GPS file depot, have you tried the mapset from Miscjunk.org, in comparison?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"