Thread: Heaps Canyon: August 8-9 2015

Heaps Canyon: August 8-9 2015

My friend is getting married this week, but before doing so, he wanted to go on a canyoneering trip with the guys. We decided on doing Heaps as an overnight trip so we could take time and enjoy the canyon at a leisurely pace. We arrived at the Lava Point campgrounds Friday night where it rained all night, not letting up until 4 or 5 in the morning. This had us slightly concerned, but we had been watching the weather almost hourly the whole week previous so we knew it was going to clear up. In the morning we packed up camp and drove down to the west rim trail head and got ready to head out. We met a group of three that were heading down boundary canyon and we wished them a fun and safe passage.

The canyon was completely full everywhere, and I noticed that, compared to June 2014, there was significantly more sand in the 2nd and third narrows. For reference, last year at one pothole, The water was about 2 feet below the lip and I couldn't touch the bottom. My friend dove down to the bottom and boosted me up to the lip. This year, there was so much sand that I could stand next to the lip and it came up to my chest. It was great to see the canyon in a different condition, and realize how drastically things can change. The last sequence took about 2 hours to complete with 4 people. (Not great, but an improvement from last year at least) This was our second time through Heaps, both times as overnighters, and we can't wait to go back!

A short video from the trip.

Setting off on Saturday morning. By the time we got to the canyon, the skies were clear
    Name:  Heaps_2015-1.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  113.4 KB

The Subway off in the distance
    Name:  Heaps_2015-2.jpg
Views: 1644
Size:  180.6 KB

Making our way across the knife edge
    Name:  Heaps_2015-3.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  215.9 KB

Making our way down the slope
    Name:  Heaps_2015-4.jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  134.7 KB

Hauling our packs out of a pothole
    Name:  Heaps_2015-5.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  171.7 KB

Mike on rappel just after the crossroads. (Sunday morning)
    Name:  Heaps_2015-6.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  118.3 KB

Narrows after the Crossroads
    Name:  Heaps_2015-7.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  105.0 KB

Scale figure
    Name:  Heaps_2015-8.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  116.0 KB

In the hallway
    Name:  Heaps_2015-9.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  168.9 KB

Cool colors
    Name:  Heaps_2015-10.jpg
Views: 1316
Size:  128.0 KB

Making our way up and over an obstacle
    Name:  Heaps_2015-11.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  120.7 KB

Rob on rappel just before the Iron room
    Name:  Heaps_2015-12.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  91.4 KB

Looking back up the rappel
    Name:  Heaps_2015-13.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  102.4 KB

Iron Room
    Name:  Heaps_2015-14.jpg
Views: 1378
Size:  153.6 KB

Spencer emptying the water out of his pack
    Name:  Heaps_2015-15.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  92.7 KB

Spencer admiring the beautiful scenery
    Name:  Heaps_2015-16.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  183.2 KB

My favorite part of Heaps. Love the colors
    Name:  Heaps_2015-17.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  221.2 KB

Mike climbing over a log.
    Name:  Heaps_2015-18.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  126.8 KB

Mossy boulder
    Name:  Heaps_2015-19.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  136.6 KB

Spencer admiring the scenery....again
    Name:  Heaps_2015-20.jpg
Views: 1327
Size:  111.7 KB

Corridor before the final up climb
    Name:  Heaps_2015-21.jpg
Views: 1417
Size:  189.7 KB

Tourists
    Name:  Heaps_2015-22.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  246.7 KB

Mike on the final rappel: part 1
    Name:  Heaps_2015-23.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  123.8 KB

Mike on the final rappel: part 2
    Name:  Heaps_2015-24.jpg
Views: 1346
Size:  187.6 KB

The crew. Happy to be done, wanting to go back
    Name:  Heaps_2015-25.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  117.6 KB

Thanks for reading
    -Matt

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

4. Likes Matthew_R liked this post
    Mountain Man
    Beyond nice photos. Great color saturation, well framed, caught the canyon feel well.

6. Likes Matthew_R liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Nice pictures!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougr View Post
    Beyond nice photos. Great color saturation, well framed, caught the canyon feel well.
    Thanks! I appreciate the feedback.

-Matt

9. Likes Matthew_R liked this post
    what more can I say - STUNNING PHOTOGRAPHS !!!

if you've got a pulse this should make you get off the couch

11. Likes Matthew_R, jman liked this post
    Cool Video!!!

I haven't done Heaps yet, and was wondering if all those jumps are the traditional way of doing Heaps

13. Likes Matthew_R liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by nkanarik View Post
    Cool Video!!!

I haven't done Heaps yet, and was wondering if all those jumps are the traditional way of doing Heaps
    Not sure what the traditional way of doing things are, but jumping is certainly not required when doing Heaps. Our group was comfortable with doing so, but we always made sure it was safe enough jump if anything looked questionable. Some of the jumps were rappels, and others we could have just lowered ourselves into the water. The Slow-motion jump is the only spot where this doesn't apply. This spot can be done as a slide, or a meat anchor rappel if anyone in the group is not comfortable with a slide. Another spot to be mindful of in the canyon is the part in the video where we are jumping/hopping from a ledge.(1:47) There are different ways of dealing with this for every group. For us, I was comfortable enough to just hop across unprotected, (30 foot fall if I slip or miss) and the rest of the group had a safety line connected to their harness in case of a slip.There is a thread discussing this specific area of the canyon over on Canyon Collective right now that might be helpful to read as well. When in doubt, play it safe. Heaps is definitely one of my favorite canyons! Best of luck on crossing it off your list.

-Matt

15. Likes nkanarik liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_R View Post
    Not sure what the traditional way of doing things are, but jumping is certainly not required when doing Heaps. Our group was comfortable with doing so, but we always made sure it was safe enough jump if anything looked questionable. Some of the jumps were rappels, and others we could have just lowered ourselves into the water. The Slow-motion jump is the only spot where this doesn't apply. This spot can be done as a slide, or a meat anchor rappel if anyone in the group is not comfortable with a slide. Another spot to be mindful of in the canyon is the part in the video where we are jumping/hopping from a ledge.(1:47) There are different ways of dealing with this for every group. For us, I was comfortable enough to just hop across unprotected, (30 foot fall if I slip or miss) and the rest of the group had a safety line connected to their harness in case of a slip.There is a thread discussing this specific area of the canyon over on Canyon Collective right now that might be helpful to read as well. When in doubt, play it safe. Heaps is definitely one of my favorite canyons! Best of luck on crossing it off your list.

-Matt
    The traditional way of doing things is to have zero jumps. (That step across - hard to call that a jump. Intimidating, but not hard).

The one eight-foot drop with no anchor is usually done by handlining off your pack floating in the pool behind; pulling the pack down from across the pool with a quick tug. My percentage of doing this perfectly is 25%. My percentage of getting bopped on the head by my pack is also 25%.

Did Heaps yesterday with two guides from France. Much jumping occurred. For me, having a warmer wetsuit, having a croakie that holds my glasses well, having the canyon to be very full, lots of jumping on a Mexico trip and being inspired by my companions led to jumping in many places where we previously downclimbed and rappelled. It helps to know the canyon well, and know in advance which pools are swimmers. The jumps are primarily very short so water deeper than 5 or 6 feet is not really required.

However, potential jumpers should be aware that even experts jumping in well-established jumping canyons get hurt fairly regularly. The middle of Heaps would be a bad place to break your ankle.

Tom

17. Likes Wes1, nkanarik, Matthew_R liked this post
    Fun video!