Thread: Another Subway is coming to Zion

Another Subway is coming to Zion

Found this article today and thought people here would be interested in reading it. It's about overturning a law from 2006 that bans chain restaurants in Springdale. Personally, I am opposed to the change and will always shop with the local businesses. I know my dollars are just a drop in the bucket compared to the millions of tourists who want overpriced crappy food from a place they recognize back home. I feel it's only a matter of time before Springdale is transformed into another cookie-cutter town, USA.

I'm interested in hearing other people's thoughts on this matter, especially those that live in the area.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2...estaurant-ban/

2. Likes whansen liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yes i agree. Part of what makes Zion NP so cool is Springdale not being a cookie-cutter town. It is the same in the town of West Entrance outside of Yellowstone.
    Plus the location of that Subway will increase the major traffic jam of everyone trying to get in to the park.
    I would think there is still some way of stopping it. Mabye with a zoning law or code.

5. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by whansen View Post
    Yes i agree. Part of what makes Zion NP so cool is Springdale not being a cookie-cutter town. It is the same in the town of West Entrance outside of Yellowstone.
    But there are major chain restaurants in West Yellowstone, like McDonalds.

Personally I believe it's more about the "culture" of the town rather than the local money, because the franchises can be owned and operated by locals, hence the money stays in the community, for the most part. You'll have a tiny fraction going to the franchise, but most of the money is local.

Some would argue that for those folks that plan out the "quick meal" will just stop in Hurricane, pack the food and bypass the local businesses near Zion NP, or after their hike in the park they just want to get back to their room in St George, and plan on getting something quick in Hurricane or in St George.

So as for the economics of it, I think it would be a plus for Springdale. But for the culture or the appearance, that could be a negative for some.

7. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Chain restaurants ruin the quaint / small town Springdale atmosphere!
    Oh...and BTW...when I read the title I was hoping for better news in the form of "Another Subway CANYON is coming to Zion"
    Last edited by nkanarik; 08-31-2015 at 11:42 AM. Reason: forgot a comment

9. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    But there are major chain restaurants in West Yellowstone, like McDonalds.

Personally I believe it's more about the "culture" of the town rather than the local money, because the franchises can be owned and operated by locals, hence the money stays in the community, for the most part. You'll have a tiny fraction going to the franchise, but most of the money is local.

Some would argue that for those folks that plan out the "quick meal" will just stop in Hurricane, pack the food and bypass the local businesses near Zion NP, or after their hike in the park they just want to get back to their room in St George, and plan on getting something quick in Hurricane or in St George.

So as for the economics of it, I think it would be a plus for Springdale. But for the culture or the appearance, that could be a negative for some.
    Your right i looked closer and found some. I guess I just didn't notice them on the main street. Still a bad idea i think.

The building appearance can make a good impression if it matches the local environment.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

12. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by nkanarik View Post
    Chain restaurants ruin the quaint / small town Springdale atmosphere!
    Oh...and BTW...when I read the title I was hoping for better news in the form of "Another Subway CANYON is coming to Zion"
    If you can wait long enough there will be :-)

And if this does pass, the smart restaurant owners will be the first to jump on a franchise ownership, not fighting the new ruling, but taking advantage of it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I believe in free enterprise which means letting the chain restaurants in. Maintaining the look and feel can easily be accomplished by zoning laws which force a specific look and feel. There is a reason the chains are successful and that is because they offer good food and service at a reasonable price.

I don't see anyone bitching about the Best Western or Quality Inn motels in town which have both done a good job blending in with local architecture.

16. Likes Taylor, twotimer, 2065toyota, WorkBad liked this post
    The best way to maintain the look and feel of the National Parks is by keeping the tourists out.

18. Likes Taylor, twotimer, Iceaxe, Udink liked this post
    First, there ain't no more space lest we carve out the cliff sides or replace the existing TexMex, burger and pizza joints which more than adequately serve that niche already.

I've been making annual pilgrimages to Zion for more than 20 yrs and never felt there is a need for a McD, Pizza Hut or a Taco Smell.

The free enterprise system doesn't need chain restaurants making Springdale or Zion better - it's working just fine as it is now.

Next up will be REI in place of the bike shop or ZAC.

No thanks!

20. Likes whansen liked this post
    What about a Super Walmart right at the parks front gate? Then we can consolidate the Subway inside of it. Will be making money hand over fist.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    The best way to maintain the look and feel of the National Parks is by keeping the tourists out.
    Which is what the NFS likes to do when it can, I pathetic deference to the greenies.

What if Bob, who lives in Springdale, decides to open up "Bob's Subway Sammie"...would that be a problem?

Hell, if I could run a franchise that is guaranteed to draw 'em in like flies...
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by whansen View Post
    What about a Super Walmart right at the parks front gate? Then we can consolidate the Subway inside of it. Will be making money hand over fist.
    Again... the proper way to maintain look and feel is through zoning. Easy enough to limit square footage, appearance and size through zoning.

Just like the McDonalds in West Yellowstone, a fast food chain can have any appearance.

What if it was BillyBob BurgerTown, the same type of appearance, would a non chain/franchise restaurant be more environmentally friendly?

With a McDonalds or Burger King in town, you'll get the people who want the local "authentic" food. So the locally owned restaurants will get the folks in "protest" of the chain food eating there. It's really a win/win, and this time you have more folks eating in Springdale rather than waiting until they get to Hurricane or St George for a fast bite on the road.