Thread: Zero G Questions

Zero G Questions

I've done Zero G twice, and each time we've been risk-averse--worried about getting stuck--and sent everyone over the chockstone. This is a bit of a nuisance, especially because we had to set up a new anchor point on the chockstone this time. I see trip reports where folks say things like "Everyone went under the chockstone." So maybe I'm being too risk-averse. I would love to hear how big folks are when they're going under the chockstone. So, let's get specific people. How big have you been when you've gone under?

Also, I seem to remember a bolt station above the chockstone last time. This time there was only a worn and unsafe cam. An anchor point above the chockstone sure makes more sense to me. Were the bolts pulled in a bolt war or am I mis-remembering their existence? Or is the stone not conducive to bolts there for some reason?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by darhawk View Post
    Also, I seem to remember a bolt station above the chockstone last time. This time there was only a worn and unsafe cam. An anchor point above the chockstone sure makes more sense to me. Were the bolts pulled in a bolt war or am I mis-remembering their existence? Or is the stone not conducive to bolts there for some reason?
    Sorry I can't answer your first question, I've only gone over. Under the stone looked somewhat problematic at my size (170lbs). I've been stuck before... it is a horrible feeling, so I try to avoid that.

That chokestone is VERY easy to sling, and that drop is downclimbable by the skilled, so there is no reason to bolt it.

Cheers to whoever pulled them!

4. Likes Taylor liked this post
    There has never been a bolt station in Zero G. There is a bolt that was installed high above the chokestone by Emery County SAR to remove a stuck canyoneer. I believe the bolt is still there but it was never installed to be a bolt station.

I always go over the top. My 5' 6", 130# daughter went under and said it was a really tight fit. I've noticed those going under sometimes have issues and sometimes not, which leads me to believe picking the right path to squeeze under the chokestone is very important as there seems to be several minor variations at the actual squeeze.

6. Likes darhawk liked this post
    I went under, but I'd describe myself as an athletic 6'2" 205lbs, it was a tight fit. Plus I still had my wetsuit and harness on. There's no way I could fit if I went straight down so I kind of angled towards the down-canyon direction all lizard like. Luckily there was a group of skinny people with us who went first and were willing to spot me hanging in space. I'd do it that way again, wasn't that bad if you go with people you trust.

8. Likes whansen, darhawk liked this post
    I go low and am 5'10" and 170. That "cam" above the stone has been there for years is the bolt station from the rescue Shane is referring to. Just down-climb it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Name:  Zero G.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  31.7 KB

Is this the spot we are talking about that is right at the end of the canyon?

That's the spot.

Thanks, folks! Very helpful. I'm surprised someone as big as 205 got through the low road. What Shane says about the minor variations makes sense to me. Still not sure I would want to do it (I'm 190), but I typically canyoneer with people smaller than me, so I will be more proactive in suggesting they try the low route if they like. I did not inspect the "cam" carefully, as I don't know how to inspect such things (and don't even know if it was a cam), but, yeah, I wondered why someone had drilled a hole in the rock and put in some kind of climbing equipment that looked dicey to me. But it's not much above the chockstone, just enough to reach up and thread a rope and get on rappel easily while standing on the chockstone.