Thread: Newbie eager to learn some canyoneering chops!

Newbie eager to learn some canyoneering chops!

Hello all!
    I'm originally from northern IL, but after having gone to school in Gunnison, CO, I was sure I belonged in the west. Fast forward a few years after trying to stick it out in the Midwest for a career and I'm moving back to Gunnison in October 2015 and eager to get my adventure on!

I joined this community hoping to find some folks who could show me the ropes (no pun intended) and the ins-and-outs of canyoneering. I spent a week in Zion this past July wherein my brother and I descended the Subway, Pine Creek, and Keyhole. My brother had zero experience, so this was my first true canyoneering test where I got to call all the shots. We had a successful trip in all 3 canyons, I learned a ton and want to keep that trend going. I have a stable grasp of canyoneering basics and basic set of gear (200ft rope, 140ft rope, 75ft rope, slings, webbing, rapides, rappel rings, many carabineers, prussic loops, etc, harness, helmet, wetsuit). Rather than continue to wing it on my own and with inexperienced groups, I'd like to tag along with some canyoneering veterans and learn what I can learn. I'll be in Gunnison beginning in October and should be free to travel to Utah canyon country with enough heads up.

Also, I'm an avid hiker/summiter. I've got 18 14er summits to my name currently with several class 3/4 routes under my belt. I'm comfy as a mountain goat on sketchy terrain and can happily hike all day. I've got a full backpacking setup for long trips. Let's go climb a mountain together or backpack into some place amazing!

Also also, I've got a rock/ice 200ft rope, climbing shoes for summer, axes and crampons for winter ice climbing. I typically hit Ouray Ice park a few times a winter. Wanna climb?

Also also also, I ski....but not terribly well. Wanting to get better though. Happy to meet up for a day on the slopes anywhere in CO or Utah.

Bottom line, let's go adventuring!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Welcome to bogley! I'll copy this over to the Canyoneering section, you're sure to get some great advice there.

Welcome to Bogley. I don't have any canyon trips currently planned, but we do have a Ouray Ice trip planned for Jan 15-17th. I know that's a ways off but keep it in mind. Will keep you in mind for the next Utah canyon trip.

tons of people into outdoors in the Gunny, CB area.. also you may want to check out 14ers.com

Thanks Deagol. I'm already an active member on 14ers.com. I am in process of finding "my people" in the Gunnison valley, but so far no canyoneers!

Check out the Zion Canyon Rendezvous...you have about a month, but it's too much fun and you'll make some acquaintances for sure.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Check out the Zion Canyon Rendezvous...you have about a month, but it's too much fun and you'll make some acquaintances for sure.
    X2

You're gonna be really close to Ouray, be sure to check out the canyons there as well for some awesome class C stuff. Short season though, late July through early sept, although you can go in early July for some BIG water once you have more skills.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    You're gonna be really close to Ouray, be sure to check out the canyons there as well for some awesome class C stuff. Short season though, late July through early sept, although you can go in early July for some BIG water once you have more skills.

"Newbie eager to learn some canyoneering chops!"

There are some fine canyons in Ouray, but they are not suitable for beginners. The style there ("Class C") requires better and sometimes different techniques than in the normal dry canyons. Just missed the Ouray Rendezvous, which would have been a good opportunity.

Tom