Thread: Lone Peak

Lone Peak

On August 10th, 2015, Steph, Tony ( @Absolute Gravity ) and I hiked to the summit of Lone Peak. This was a big step up from our previous alpine adventures, 5,650 feet in elevation gain in just 5 1/2 miles. The final traverse to the summit was a real psycological challenge; it required about 4-5 exposed moves around (or over) large boulders along the spine of the summit. The exposure on both sides of the spine made us all pause, and in the end Steph stayed back and watched. It was a scary and rewarding traverse for me and Tony.

We gained the summit in just under 6 hours and completed the loop in 10.5 hours.

It was a challenging day with great company.

Special thanks to @Iceaxe for his excellent writeup on this route.

-Bob

Tony in the cirque, the summit standing tall in the background.
    Name:  P1020410.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  226.6 KB

Name:  P1020402.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  64.8 KB

Tony checking out an option to get around one of the boulders near the summit (he went around the other side).
    Name:  P1020394.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  115.3 KB

Steph watching our heroics from a safe spot near the summit.
    Name:  P1020389.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  74.2 KB

Name:  P1020390.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  79.1 KB

Feeling alive and relieved while standing on the summit.
    Name:  P1020404.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  111.5 KB

Name:  P1020393.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  119.4 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice! I can't wait to do this climb someday. Looks beautiful!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

4. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    One more

Bob and Steph as we are heading down the ridge
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Absolute Gravity; 08-11-2015 at 09:03 AM. Reason: fix image rotation

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the TR Bob.

Curious - which trailhead did you start from?

Any other thoughts on it? I'm asking because I might do this next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Thanks for the TR Bob.

Curious - which trailhead did you start from?

Any other thoughts on it? I'm asking because I might do this next week.
    We did the Jacob's Ladder route.

Thoughts:

We started hiking at 4:30AM. Earlier than that would be slightly better, 3:30 or 4:00 would be optimal. Later would put you in the sun on the way up, and would be not fun.

Just before you get to the cirque you will encounter a boulder field. Your altitude will be about 10,250 feet. From the edge of the boulder field you can can go straight through (Tony and I did, and it sucked), or, you can head north up a small cliff, then across a beautiful field of flowers (Steph did this on the way down the mountain and laughed at our suffering). Perhaps plot a couple of GPS points from Shane's map, then follow them with precision once you get close to the cirque. There are cairns all over the place when you arrive at the boulder field. Don't trust any of them. (BTW, picture #1 in the cirque is past the boulder field. If you go the recommended route you will never get this far into the cirque.)

Bring trekking poles and 3 liters of water per person.

The final traverse is scary, but none of the moves are hard. Each obstacle presents 2 or 3 options to get around. Evaluate each obstacle carefully before committing.

I'm not very fast when doing huge amounts of vertical. I bet you are faster and could complete the loop in 9 hours.

Have fun!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    We did the Jacob's Ladder route.

Thoughts:

We started hiking at 4:30AM. Earlier than that would be slightly better, 3:30 or 4:00 would be optimal. Later would put you in the sun on the way up, and would be not fun.

Just before you get to the cirque you will encounter a boulder field. Your altitude will be about 10,250 feet. From the edge of the boulder field you can can go straight through (Tony and I did, and it sucked), or, you can head north up a small cliff, then across a beautiful field of flowers (Steph did this on the way down the mountain and laughed at our suffering). Perhaps plot a couple of GPS points from Shane's map, then follow them with precision once you get close to the cirque. There are cairns all over the place when you arrive at the boulder field. Don't trust any of them. (BTW, picture #1 in the cirque is past the boulder field. If you go the recommended route you will never get this far into the cirque.)

Bring trekking poles and 3 liters of water per person.

The final traverse is scary, but none of the moves are hard. Each obstacle presents 2 or 3 options to get around. Evaluate each obstacle carefully before committing.

I'm not very fast when doing huge amounts of vertical. I bet you are faster and could complete the loop in 9 hours.

Have fun!

Thanks for the info. Yea, I was thinking a early start like 5am would be good, but maybe I'll start at 4am per your recommendation.

It will be nice to finally get this checked off.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

9. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    An easier route would be Lone Peak Wilderness trail. From there, you can bushwack, jump the creek and summit without any of the technical gotchas.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    An easier route would be Lone Peak Wilderness trail. From there, you can bushwack, jump the creek and summit without any of the technical gotchas.
    I've climbed Lone Peak a couple dozen times using every published route and a bunch we made up on the fly (I live at the base of Corner Canyon). Jacob's Ladder is by far the fastest/easiest way to summit.

I'm still trying to figure out where this boulder field slot machine ran into is. Once you reach the ridge using Jacobs Ladder the route is a hike through a meadow and over a low saddle to access the cirque, or at least it should be if you are on route.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out where this boulder field slot machine ran into is. Once you reach the ridge using Jacobs Ladder the route is a hike through a meadow and over a low saddle to access the cirque, or at least it should be if you are on route.
    We missed the low saddle that accesses the cirque. Instead we headed east toward the summit, over the boulder field, until we nearly got to the wall below the summit. Then we turned north.

The boulder field is just east of where your route turns north. There is a trail that dead-ends at the boulder field that lured us in.

Looking down from the summit we could clearly see the easy route down. But Tony and I left our trekking poles at the top of the boulder field, deeming them a liability at that point.

But Steph kept her poles along, proving later to be the wise choice, and laughed as she saved a half hour's effort by skipping the boulder field on the way down.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I've climbed Lone Peak a couple dozen times using every published route and a bunch we made up on the fly (I live at the base of Corner Canyon). Jacob's Ladder is by far the fastest/easiest way to summit.

Well, I didn't see any of the obstacles that he reported and I've run that trail a few times myself. Great elevation gain, but get to end of trail and its like <yawn>. Bushwack, find some old wreckage, scramble some rocks and you're at the absolute top. Nothing technical, just elevation gain and full sun exposure..

We hoofed the entire family up there 3x, including our 140 pound Lab!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Some may choose to prance and frolic through the meadow of wildflowers on the north side of the cirque, but the saltier of us battle through the boulder filled south side, braving knee and ankle sprains while the others patiently wait, readying the ibuprofen, and preparing for the brave boulder warriors to emerge and proclaim 'God Damnit, how long have you been here?'

15. Likes darhawk, Slot Machine liked this post

17. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    I didn't see any of the obstacles that he reported and I've run that trail a few times myself.
    One must try whole-heartedly to find the most difficult path on any adventure. Tony and I succeeded heroically at this task once we approached the cirque.

BUT, we got to see an amazing part of the cirque (twice) that few people venture into (no paths or footprints), and it only cost us about an hour, so it really wasn't that bad.

Sir, is that a one quart whiskey flask on your shoulder strap? If so, I gotta get me one.

19. Likes BruteForce liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Sir, is that a one quart whiskey flask on your shoulder strap? If so, I gotta get me one.
    I believe it contains shot's of a different variety...

21. Likes BruteForce liked this post