Thread: Keyhole / Pine Creek - Midnight 8/9/15

Keyhole / Pine Creek - Midnight 8/9/15

We had talked about a doing a night canyon all summer long. Earlier last week I came to the realization that within 2 weeks both of my kids were going to be gone and back up north to college, so if it was going to happen, it had to be now. I jumped onto Zion reservation site, Keyhole slots available, done we have 12 of them. Pine Creek, only 6 available, done we have 6 for Pine Creek and apply for the last minute for 6 more. Friday comes along and we've already booked all 12 slots for both canyons, but only have 6 permits. Fortunately we get the 6 more so everything is good to go.

The plan. Leave St. George at 11:00 and head to Zion. Kinda strange, I've left to do Pine Creek at 11 am, but leave town at 11 pm, there must be something wrong with us. Any how did I get so many other people to do this also. We ended up with Kyler, Lacey, Krista, Luke, Austin, Devin, Jeff & I. The other 4 had some last minute stuff come up, maybe some common sense, and had to back out. This is Jeff's first canyon ever, who knows where his future in the sport will end up at

We drop a truck off at the Pine Creek exit around 12am, pile everyone and their gear in the other truck and head to Keyhole. Suits are put on at the truck and we head out. A few cars pass us while we are suiting up and I can only imagine what they are thinking at 12:30 in the morning.

We make a fairly quick run through Keyhole, nothing strange or different about the canyon other than it is really dark. When we got to the hallway swim, we all shut out lights off and went through in complete darkness. And with no moon it was very dark. You couldn't even see your hand in front of your face. It was alot of fun going through that section in the dark.

About 1:45 we are back to the truck, jump in and head to Pine Creek. Now if you ever want the best parking spot for Pine Creek, all you have to do is get there at 2am and you can have any spot of your choice.

I go off the first rap, there is a new log jammed in there, not sure how long that has been there for, and drop into the pool. Right off I know this is going to be fun. A full 40 or 50' swim to next beach. Some bolts have been installed at the big boulder with webbing on them. Not sure why, this is an easy downclimb. The cathedral is completely full of water, as you can't even touch the normal little climb out section of it. The rest of the canyon is completely full of water also. I would estimate that 50% of the canyon is a complete swim. I've done Pine Creek at least 10 or 15 times and have never seen so much water in there.

We are all in suits, varying for 3 to 5mm and nobody really got cold. The water is always a little warmer right after it rains, so I would anticipate it cooling off a little in the next week or two so be prepared for a lot of swimming.

Most of desuit for the boulder section and head towards the swimming hole. It is a little slower going through here at night than during the day, but not too bad. The original plan was to hit Springdale and get some breakfast before going home, but everything flowed so well so we were back to the parking lot by 5:30 and in Springdale by 6. Nothing was open yet so we just headed home. Kinda strange getting home as the sun comes up, but life is about experiences. Sorry for the bad pics, but they just don't turn out at night and the camera kept fogging up.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Way to go, looks like a blast. Boulder hopping or hoping you don't miss each landing in the dark?

Just missed you. Was in keyhole yesterday and pinecreek today.

What have you started???

6. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Nice!

People say Zion is too crowded...well, not at midnight. You'll have the entire place to yourself. :P

Thanks for sharing Toyota!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Nice!

People say Zion is too crowded...well, not at midnight. You'll have the entire place to yourself. :P

Thanks for sharing Toyota!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zion is crowded at the narrows and on the shuttle. Everywhere else you pretty much have the place to yourself

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9. Likes Slot Machine, jman liked this post
    Euro Utah enthusiast Michael_WB's Avatar
    I've done Keyhole a couple of times at night, the second time was challenged by a ranger to show a permit (which we had) as we changed into wetsuits at the roadside before the sprint up the slickrock. Thought of Pine Creek, but assumed the boulder-hopping hike out would be too much of a PITA in the dark. Might give it a go next trip... wonder what Behunin in the dark would be like? :-)

Behunin wouldn't be that bad. I don't see it as being much fun as Pine creek as the swimming and water portion is cool.

Although any canyon would be doable in the dark, I would advise doing one that you've done before just because everything is different. We took 4 ropes for 8 people so we could move efficiently and also have plenty of backups just in case we had an issue. Sorry Luke that you packed one all the way through that never left your pack

This was Jeff's first canyon experience? Man is he going to be surprised when he sees Pine Creek in the daylight!

Nice TR!

13. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Euro Utah enthusiast Michael_WB's Avatar
    Things do indeed look different in the dark, but as mountaineers here in the Alps we are used to breakfast at 3-4am and climbing by headlights up rock ridges onto glaciers before dawn. During a few Andes trips we were setting off at 11pm-midnight (Antisana, Artesonraju, etc).

Pine Creek is often our fallback for 'rest' days, so I believe I've through there over a dozen times over the years :-)

15. Likes jman, 2065toyota liked this post
    This is going to be on my Bucket list for a future pine creek experience, my buddy and I did pine creek about the same time of year back in 2014 and noticed the same thing as you. The canyon seemed to almost be a swim the entire way after the cathedral. The log that you rap off of had water almost up to the bottom of the log. For once we could just jump off of that awkward little rap. Thanks for the pics looks like you all had a blast!

Bogley BigShot
    The pictures are hard to load because so big, but what an adventure! Wonderful stuff!

18. Likes 2065toyota liked this post