Thread: Mt Timpanogos

Mt Timpanogos

On August 4th, 2015, Stephanie and I hiked to the top of Mt Timpanogos. We were lucky enough to run into Ben Woolsey in the parking lot at the beginning of our adventure, so we hiked to the top with him. This was his 705th trip to the top of Timpanogos. He is 73 years young. During the warmer months he hikes the summit about 3 times a week.

Fortunately for us, Ben had a sprained ankle, so we were able to keep up. We followed him to the summit in 3h56m, which seemed like light-speed for us. He told us that he had gained the summit in 2h42m earlier in the year. Whoa!

Ben has gained a certain amount of fame on that mountain. He handles his notoriety with grace and is a real gentleman. He is great about shaking hands and taking photos with all on the summit. He also maintains the register in a custom bound notebook.

We don't normally try to summit mountains; fighting gravity isn't really our thing. This was only my 2nd peak, and Stephanie's first. A fun and challenging hike for both of us.

Perfect weather. Magnificent scenery. It was a great adventure with fantastic company.

-Bob

Name:  P1020376.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  91.9 KB

Name:  P1020375.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  63.4 KB

Name:  P1020378.jpg
Views: 87692
Size:  74.8 KB

Name:  P1020380.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  138.2 KB

Name:  P1020383.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  126.0 KB

Name:  P1020387.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  94.1 KB

Name:  P1020372.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  74.6 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This was only my 2nd peak, and Stephanie's first.
    It was my first as well. Or at least the first one I remember. It was on July 4 1981. I had just turned 7 years old.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Very cool trip Bob

Despite the crowds, that area is one of the prettiest places I have seen in Utah. Love it!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    It was my first as well. Or at least the first one I remember. It was on July 4 1981. I had just turned 7 years old.
    That is pretty awesome. A bit of exposure and altitude at that age.
    I stumbled upon your summitpost page when researching this hike. Had no idea that you had done so many peaks. 1,900? Daaaaang!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Very cool trip Bob

Despite the crowds, that area is one of the prettiest places I have seen in Utah. Love it!
    Thanks Blake!

Tyler @Doomedty , mentioned this after doing the summit last week. We totally agree. We visit the cottonwood canyons frequently, thinking they are the best (for snowboarding they are), while having no idea the Utah Valley folks were so spoiled! American Fork canyon is spectacular! Doing Stewart falls with you was an eye opener.

We avoided some of the crowd by taking the Emerald Lake route down (the glacier descent minus the glacier). The last couple of photos of Steph walking through flowers are from that detour.

Loved the TR Bob! I've a lot of good memories hiking that summit.

Cool to meet a local celebrity like that and be able to accompany him to the summit.

If you haven't seen Timp Cave yet...certainly worth braving the crowds for that one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    This was his 705th trip to the top of Timpanogos. He is 73 years young. During the warmer months he hikes the summit about 3 times a week.
    YOWZA