Thread: Let's All Change the Name of "Negro Bill Canyon"

Let's All Change the Name of "Negro Bill Canyon"

Since when is the term "negro" offensive? Isn't that the same as "caucasian?" It used to be named n**ger Bill canyon. I think the current name is an improvement that we can all live with.

Little Utah...always grandstanding on that national spotlight whenever possible...

John Hollenhorst/Deseret News
    Amid Confederate flag scrutiny, Utah reconsiders canyon name

By Lindsay Whitehurst , Associated Press | Posted Jul 30th, 2015 @ 6:18pm

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The renewed national scrutiny of the Confederate flag has officials again considering changing the name of Utah's Negro Bill Canyon, a title that's offensive to some but a point of historical pride for the state's largest NAACP chapter. Grand County Councilwoman Mary McGann said the name of the picturesque canyon in southern Utah is outdated at best. "We should evolve," she said Wednesday.

She's planning to ask the council to recommend a name change to the U.S. Board of Geographic Names as soon as Aug. 4. The Moab canyon is named for William Granstaff, a black cowboy who ran cattle there in the 1870s. Landmarks named for white historical figures aren't generally prefaced by race, McGann said, and the canyon should bear his last name instead.But Jeanetta Williams, president of the Salt Lake City chapter of the NAACP, says the name isn't offensive. She's drumming up support to keep the name that makes it clear the canyon is named for a black historical figure."We don't want to lose the history," she said. She'd like to see the council tackle other issues facing black residents instead, like housing discrimination. Though her group supported changing the name from a more derogatory word decades ago, they've opposed other efforts over the years to make a wholesale revision.One of those pushes was led by Moab resident Louis Williams. His research shows William Granstaff never went by Bill, and he's dug up history that shows his last name was actually spelled with a "d'' after the "n." The current name doesn't honor the pioneer's story, he said, and it should be renamed as Grandstaff Canyon.

"I don't know anybody who would die and want their name to be left like that," said Williams, who is not related to the Salt Lake NAACP president. Moab's canyon is not the only American landmark with a similar name. As of 2012, there were more than 700 places in the U.S. with "negro" in the name, according to an analysis of government records. The canyon is a popular hiking spot in Moab, a town about 230 miles southeast of Salt Lake City that attracts tourists from all over the world to its unique red-rock landscapes in nearby national parks. While the hike, which features one of the longest natural arches in the country at the end of the four-mile roundtrip, is popular with visitors, the name makes many of them uncomfortable, said McGann. If the name changes, signs could tell Granstaff's full history. Another councilman, Lynn Jackson, says many locals support the name as it is and he'll vote to keep it. "For me, the history is what it is," he said. McGann said she brought up the issue to the council after the June 17 massacre of nine black church members at a Bible study in Charleston, South Carolina sparked the removal of Confederate flags from public property and displays across the South. Dylann Roof, a white man who appeared in a photo with a Confederate flag, is charged in the killings. "It's time to remove all symbols which, on some level, justify having a certain race of people distinguished differently from another race of people," she said.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=357...rs-canyon-name

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

As of 2012, there were more than 700 places in the U.S. with "negro"
    Negro also means black in Spanish. Not all names (in fact the majority do not) with the name "negro" refer to a person of African American decent.

For example Cerro Negro means "Black Mountain". "Negro Creek" simply refers to the color. And so on.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

4. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Negro also means black in Spanish.
    ^^THIS^^

Just think as they were naming this canyon, trying to honor this guy, and years later some tightwad sheltered b*tch gets offended by it because Negro is ALMOST the N word.

You know why white cowboys weren't known by White Jed or White Bob? Because there were too damned many of them!

You always describe a person in the way that he is different than others. The guy with the hot pink mountain bike (because there is only one in the area). The lady with the eye patch. The dog with 3 legs. And Negro Bill. Not "Bill who tells that good joke about the preacher, Rabbi, and Dolly Parton." Bill, you know, the Black Cowboy. Oh yes I know Negro Bill, cool dude. He can shoe a horse faster than anybody I know.

Let's get offended.

FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS

6. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Thats highly offensive, I suggest it immediately be changed to "confederate Bill" canyon with a Confederate battle flag for the trail marker.
    FWIW--the naacp has no problem with the term "negro"

pc, gonna pc--if we continue to let them.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

8. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    How about this one near where I live?:

There is also Chinamans Hat.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Another councilman, Lynn Jackson, says many locals support the name as it is and he'll vote to keep it.

This is the truth. The Moab locals roll their eyes every time this issue is brought up. It wasn't until this incident in the news in South Carolina became popular that somebody decided to hop aboard that publicity and try and wriggle Utah into some of that national attention with yet another attempt at trying to re-re-name Negro Bill Canyon.

First World Problems...LOL, so true.

Betcha dollars to donuts that if the moniker were removed some other black group would come along and loudly complain that how are people to know this cool, early cowboy explorer was black? Leave it alone.
    Are we there yet?

12. Likes jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Betcha dollars to donuts that if the moniker were removed some other black group would come along and loudly complain that how are people to know this cool, early cowboy explorer was black? Leave it alone.
    That's a great point.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

"No Esta Blanco Bill Canyon?"

Geesh!

My favorite electrolyte drink beginning 20+ years ago was a drink engineered by Bill Gookin of California. It was called "Gookinaid". Guess what he got sued and now its called Vitalyte. Go figure!?

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    "No Esta Blanco Bill Canyon?"

Geesh!

My favorite electrolyte drink beginning 20+ years ago was a drink engineered by Bill Gookin of California. It was called "Gookinaid". Guess what he got sued and now its called Vitalyte. Go figure!?
    Bill! Nice guy. Ran the marathon in the '68 olympics. He helped with a trip I went on years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    His research shows William Granstaff never went by Bill, and he's dug up history that shows his last name was actually spelled with a "d'' after the "n." The current name doesn't honor the pioneer's story, he said, and it should be renamed as Grandstaff Canyon.
    no no NO!

The name should be Negro Grandstaff Canyon.

17. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    YAWN.... What time do the strippers get here?

I was in the grocery store today and noticed they have a segregated cracker isle! I was like, dang I hope they fix that so I can stop being so offended!