Thread: Family Backpacking - Summer in Utah

Family Backpacking - Summer in Utah

Hey folks. I'd appreciate some tips on areas in UT that would work well for a family (kids age 4-11) in August. Kids are experienced backpackers. My concerns are water access and heat.

We're looking at 3-5 days, 8-15 miles depending on terrain.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The Uintas have plenty of water and no heat. It would be a good place in August.

Some of my favorites would be Allsop Lake, Priord Lake, Deadhorse Lake, upper Rock Creek from Rocky Sea Pass, and the Red Castle areas.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    The Uintas have plenty of water and no heat. It would be a good place in August.

Some of my favorites would be Allsop Lake, Priord Lake, Deadhorse Lake, upper Rock Creek from Rocky Sea Pass, and the Red Castle areas.
    Allsop Lake is one of my favorite places in the Uintas. Been going there since I was very young.

Hey @Mileeso where are you from, are you familiar with Utah at all?

Most of the trail heads on the North Slope start at around 9,000 foot, vs the south slope at 7500 to 8000 foot. So you usually have less of climb on the North Slope trails. Also the North slope trails usually follow a stream up a drainage. So they are more gradual climb type of trails. This is a big picture general look, There will be exceptions.

An easy hike in, would be start at the Highline trail off Mirror Lake Hiway. Hike into Naturalist Basin. It's very level trail and only about 5 miles in. If you want to get a little farther away, Four Lake Basin is about 10 miles in.

I like the lakes mentioned by others. Allsop, Norice, on the east fork of the Bear. But other lakes in the Uintas that are good hikes are Long Lake, Duck lake from the Trail lake trail head. The Timothy Lakes and Farmer lake from the Swift creek trail head. ( a bit of a climb.) Kidney lake and the Brown Duck Basin from the Moon Lake Trail head. Grand Daddy lake

Brownie lake over by Flaming Gorge, has several beautiful trails heading out, Hike up McCoy Park and stay at Fish Lake from either the Spirit lake or Beaver Meadow trail heads.