Thread: Are Springbar Tents Worth the Cost?

Are Springbar Tents Worth the Cost?

We have always wanted one but we have never been able to pull the trigger. Are they worth it? How do they hold up in the rain?

"My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

They are very durable, of high quality, and last a long time, but they are very heavy and quite bulky compared to other tents.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

IF you want a car-camping tent that will last 20+ years and still work then get a springbar.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

5. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    I much prefer freestanding tents, but as far as leaks, I never had any leaks in my Springbar. I did put a hole in mine that rain came through until I got it patched, but that was totally my fault.

7. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    When I got married in 2001, our 1st purchase together was a Springbar. Was a bit pricey, especially for newlyweds but the tent is still going strong. The marriage on the other hand??? Well, let's just say at least I got a Springbar out of it. :)

9. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    I bought a springbar last year used that the previous owner said was 25 yrs old. The last 3 camping trips it has downpoured. My springbar was the only tent in the group to remain completely dry. fyi the tent still cost me 300.00

11. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    They are very durable, of high quality, and last a long time, but they are very heavy and quite bulky compared to other tents.
    Scott got it right. They will leak in the rain if you have them at their rated people capacity. If anything is touching the sidewall, it wicks the rain right in. It's nice to be able to stand up in the tent.

And they're not free standing. you can fake it sort of by putting a good sized rock at each corner. But freestanding is an important feature in my tent wish list.

13. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    I inherited 2 springbars from my father in law. They must be at least 30 years old. I've taken them back to kirkhams several times for minor repairs and wouldn't trade them for anything. These tents when properly rigged will with stand lake Powell hurricane force winds better than anything made. If you take care of them and always put them away dry they will last at least 30 years. I plan to get another 30 out of mine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

15. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Based on what our scout troop does to them, I'd say they are pretty bomb proof. They stay dry as long as nothing is touching the sides. Very dry, in fact -- I've been impressed after sitting out a couple heavy storms in them. And the good thing is, at least if you're in SLC, you can take them to Kirkhams for pretty reasonable repairs (small holes, zippers, bent poles).

There are a couple competitors out there now that Springbar's patent has expired that look pretty similar as well, and can be had for a bit less. But I can't tell you how they last. Our troop did buy a couple new springbars last year (the 8-man about requires a mortgage!), but a few members of our scout committee were staunchly opposed to looking at anything but Springbars, so we didn't.

17. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Springbar is the best camping purchase I ever made. Throw in some cots, a small table, tent heater, and its as good as tent camping can get.

19. Likes REDFOX, DiscGo liked this post