Thread: Anniversary Narrows, Lake Mead, Accessability

Anniversary Narrows, Lake Mead, Accessability

Hi all,

Was in the Lake Mead area today and did this short hike
    http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=940646
    and managed to see the Great Horned Owls!

Anyway, stopped at the information centre to ask about the Anniversary Narrows hike but was advised access is not possible as it crosses private land. Scaling Muddy Mountain and approaching from the north is apparently the only way in.

Anyone know if this is the case for sure? I was hoping to approach from the south off Northshore Rd 167,l Callville Washington N Rd and Anniversary Mine Rd.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Brit Beermonster View Post
    Hi all,

Was in the Lake Mead area today and did this short hike
    http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=940646
    and managed to see the Great Horned Owls!

Anyway, stopped at the information centre to ask about the Anniversary Narrows hike but was advised access is not possible as it crosses private land. Scaling Muddy Mountain and approaching from the north is apparently the only way in.

Anyone know if this is the case for sure? I was hoping to approach from the south off Northshore Rd 167,l Callville Washington N Rd and Anniversary Mine Rd.

Thanks.
    I've never heard that before. I've been out there multiple times in my truck and on a dual sport and there aren't any fences or stuff like that. We've always driven down the wash to the mine road and then on to the top of the hill and then hiked down and into the mines and narrows. There used to be an issue with getting off that little section of Calville road into the wash, there was a washed out drop-off and nasty high clearance section. You used to have to get off the northshore road to the south and go through the culvert under the road and that was a challenge for any type of car or big truck. I think that was fixed a year or so ago.

Actually looking at google earth now it looks like the road has been partially paved and there is some increased mining activity that is going across the road all over the place. That is all new as of a few years ago. None of that was out there.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Thanks, I'll do some more investigation next time I'm Stateside and advise.

Had contact with the Southern Nevada Gem and Mineral Society, who have a claim in the area and they believe the hike is on public land. Looks like the other info I received was incorrect.