Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MTB Night Riding

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Cool thanks, so with the high capacity battery, would you suggest buying 2, 1 for each light?
    I would just buy one and keep the original battery as a spare. 3 batteries for two lights will cover you for much longer than you're likely to ride. When climbing, I alternate between the two lights at a lower setting. Then go full power on both for the descent.

2. Likes Sombeech liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Early morning rides are now requiring some artificial light for the first half. Just as an experiment, I have been just taking one light and alternating between handlebar and helmet. I will reiterate my opinion that if you only have one light, put it on your handlebar and mount it upside down so it's as low as possible. This helps tremendously with seeing contours in the dirt.

Only having the light on your helmet makes it really difficult to determine the size of objects you are about to hit as the light perspective doesn't throw shadows as effectively as when the light is mounted lower. Dusty trails just kind of wash out completely in the helmet light as well. Switchbacks are obviously more difficult with this setup, but for the other 96% of the ride, I like it much better.

My night descending setup is handlebar light that is quite a bit brighter than my helmet light. Handlebar creates the shadows and is powerful enough that the helmet light doesn't overpower it.

Discuss.

5. Likes accadacca, Sombeech liked this post
    Agreed. During my freer days with fewer children, I rode a lot at night and did the 24 Hours of Moab 7 times. I am with Neil 110% on this one. Helmet light alone sucks a lot. Handlebar light alone is good if it's bright enough. Bright light on bars and dimmer light on helmet is the bizness if you've got them both.

Just one light? Put it on the bike!

My preference is for 2 lights- one on the handlebar and one on the helmet but, I agree, if you only have 1 light, go with a handlebar mount. For a 2 light setup, I really like a bright, powerful broader-beam (flood pattern) light for the handlebar and a tighter-beam (spot pattern) for the helmet. The spot beam light allows me to look around corners better, see down the trail further and look up the hillside in the trees and bushes for that big cat stalking me!
    Are we there yet?

MTB Night Riding

Agreed, two lights. I've been using one on my handlebars lately in the morning. I start by climbing and it starts getting light pretty quickly.