Thread: 05/01/15 - Escalante - Down Egypt 2 & Up Egypt 3

Blog Entries

05/01/15 - Escalante - Down Egypt 2 & Up Egypt 3

My friend Jeff Guest was able to finalize the editing of his Escalante trip to a few of the Egypts over a month ago.
    They headed down Egypt 2 and up Egypt 3.

And I'll let him do the talking from now on [quoting from his YouTube page]:

My friend Chris moved to NY for work and has been craving to do some canyons. He came back to visit and we headed down to Escalante. We heard the Egypt's were fun and rapping 230ft of the hitch of a truck right off the bat sounded to good to pass up! It was one of the funnest rappels I've ever done. We made our way down Egypt 2, and across to Egypt 3. We were linking the 2 canyons together and the beta said to not drop into Egypt 3 until a certain point. We got a little lost a few times and we even took a short nap to escape the heat. We went up Egypt 3 which was tight and beautiful! It was a lot of walking in the hot Escalante heat, and route finding our way out of Egypt 3 and onto the top was a little confusing, but we got it figured out. Go to the right of the big mound and then get on top. It is to steep and crumbly to climb up. If you have a shuttle that is great! If not then it's an easy 1.2 mile jaunt downhill back to your vehicle.

This was a fun canyon, but was pretty exhausting with the heat and no ankle support in my blown out Canyoneer 2 shoes. Chris didn't have any insoles in his and was wearing very thin Neo Socks, so his feet got a little raw which also contributed to our slower than normal time to do this canyon combo.

I shot this video with my GoPro HERO3+ Black Edition camera at 1080p at 30fps and edited with iMovie. I had my GoPro mounted to my GoScope Extreme which is a telescoping pole and it works great with the J-Hook mount! Get your GoScope at http://go-scope.com.

ENJOY!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction, SRG liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Piggyback on the thread... Anyone know of current road conditions to the Egypt trailhead? RuudVN at candition posted a condition, but without any road info.

Thanks in advance.

the one time I did the big rap into Egypt II, the group leader was going to rig off a car bumper as was done here... someone else showed up and scolded him and told him to rig off the small arch.

Also, doing a big rap like that with one hand occupied with a selfie stick (and only one hand available for the brake strand) seems a bit sketchy to me, but as always YMMV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    the one time I did the big rap into Egypt II, the group leader was going to rig off a car bumper as was done here... someone else showed up and scolded him and told him to rig off the small arch.

Also, doing a big rap like that with one hand occupied with a selfie stick (and only one hand available for the brake strand) seems a bit sketchy to me, but as always YMMV
    Jeff weighs literally 100lbs. He would float down if he ever lets go of the rope. He can do most rappels (including Heaps, which he has a video of - you should check it out!) on a simple ATC with little friction. For most people, holding a selfie stick probably doesn't work for them. It wouldn't for me personally either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"