Thread: Misery Canyon, just outside East entrance of Zion

Misery Canyon, just outside East entrance of Zion

Hi,
    I just wondered if anyone has done both the East and West (Fat Man's) forks of Misery Canyon before their confluence. Which one is best from a purely scenic and photographic point of view, forgetting which one is more fun for the canyoneering side. I've heard east is easier, but just wanted to pick the one with the prettiest slots.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've done both East and West Fork in just about every configuration you can think of. My preferred route if given a choice is to enter over Checkerboard Mesa, down the West Fork, Up Parunaweap, and exit out French Canyon. This is also the easiest and by far the most scenic route. The only downside to that route is the shuttle required sucks, it's not to bad if you set it up the night before. The best part of Misery is from the confluence of east and west forks down to the virgin. The upper sections of both east and west are comparable, west is more popular as it's a little easier to access and there is a lot more beta available on the west fork. Information to complete all options mentioned can be found here.

Misery Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/misery1.htm

Below are a few pictures of what the exit up Parunaweap and out French Canyon looks like, which is why it's a favorite of mine. While everyone else is sweating and busting their butt to climb back over Checkerboard Mesa you can be strolling up P-weap wading in the cool, clear stream.

with Zion temps running 108- 109 right now, this is probably the last canyon I would want to be dropping into. the water in the bottom is nice, coming out the other side helps get you out of the sun somewhat, but that deep sand over there in the heat ain't going to be much fun either. Find someplace to play in the water more.(Like Water). if you're locked into Misery get an EARLY start, to mitigate the heat somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by rick t View Post
    if you're locked into Misery get an EARLY start, to mitigate the heat somewhat.
    Actually that's just bassackwards of how we do it in the heat. We get a mid-morning start. We lounge away the hot afternoon napping and playing in the east fork of the Virgin. We time our exit so we are hiking out in the cool evening. Last time we did this we reached our cars right at dark, perfect timing, another 5 minutes and we would have been breaking out the headlamps.

6. Likes 2065toyota, hikster11 liked this post
    Thanks guys. But I'm thinking of going Oct so no heat worry I'll be cold! (i have come out French after Poverty before) I hope a wetsuit is enough and I don't need a drysuit!
    Rick T, as you mentioned Water Canyon, you may be able to answer another question I was going to post. Was going to hike to the White Wave. Kelsey's book describes the route going up Squirrel Creek, but he drops in a line you can go up Water Canyon too, which seems firstly shorter and secondly more scenic, so I don't know why he describes Squirrel Creek unless Water is difficult for hikers..

Is it relatatively easy to hike/scramble up - or perhaps down - Water Canyon towards White Wave bearing in mind I'm not a climber, hence not too happy with exposure and I don't use ropes?

And is the route-finding up/down Water Canyon fairly easy? (I wlll have GPS, compassfor up on the top) Ideally I'd do a Water/Squirrel loop for different scenery, but if it's hard to pick the route sometimes it's better to go back the way you came, rather than searching out unfamiliar ways if it's a long day and light could become an issue.

And would either of these questions make a difference to difficulty and route-finding if I went up through Water Canyon or down through Water if I did a loop?

There is a well defined hiker trail through Water Canyon from the trailhead to the top of the canyon at Top Rock, which offers great views. The canyon is very popular with both hikers and tech canyoneers. Once you reach the top of Water Canyon the trails are less traveled and not as well defined.

I've never done Squirrel so someone else will need to answer the rest of your question. I do knows it's not that popular.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaniukr View Post
    Thanks guys. But I'm thinking of going Oct so no heat worry I'll be cold! (i have come out French after Poverty before) I hope a wetsuit is enough and I don't need a drysuit!

Rick T, as you mentioned Water Canyon, you may be able to answer another question I was going to post. Was going to hike to the White Wave. Kelsey's book describes the route going up Squirrel Creek, but he drops in a line you can go up Water Canyon too, which seems firstly shorter and secondly more scenic, so I don't know why he describes Squirrel Creek unless Water is difficult for hikers..

Is it relatively easy to hike/scramble up - or perhaps down - Water Canyon towards White Wave bearing in mind I'm not a climber, hence not too happy with exposure and I don't use ropes?

And is the route-finding up/down Water Canyon fairly easy? (I will have GPS, compass for up on the top) Ideally I'd do a Water/Squirrel loop for different scenery, but if it's hard to pick the route sometimes it's better to go back the way you came, rather than searching out unfamiliar ways if it's a long day and light could become an issue.

And would either of these questions make a difference to difficulty and route-finding if I went up through Water Canyon or down through Water if I did a loop?
    I personally have done about 150 trips to Water Canyon. It is a great canyon for guiding, and only a so-so canyon for recreationalists.

There is a well-defined trail going up Water Canyon with a couple spots of 3rd class. However, FINDING the trail from the top without a GPS and without familiarity would be quite difficult. If desiring to make it a loop, going UP Water and DOWN Sqwurel Canyon would probably work best. For a daytrip, Up and Down Water is probably the best route.

Did Up Sqrrrl a few years ago:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/...rch-2728-2012/