Thread: Heaps

Heaps

This was my first time through Heaps. I couldn't recruit anyone that had done it before, so we had to do it blind (at least a little). Some canyons live up to the hype and some don't. I thought that Heaps did in fact live up, but the last set of rappels was more work than fun for me personally. I posted a condition report on candition. This really was an amazing canyon that was pure fun, and reinvigorated my love of canyoneering.

We left the Grotto at 5:30. We were at the top of the Phantom Valley ridge at 8:15-8:30. We were wondering if we had made fast enough time to be able to safely do the canyon. We decided to go for it. We were at the first water/rappel at a little before 10. We got to the crossroads by 11:45, and got to the start of the three big rappels by 2:30. We took a 20 minute break, then took our time on the last three rappels and were done by 5:30, and got to the car at 6. Great canyon.

Name:  IMG_1379.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  164.4 KBName:  IMG_1387.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  151.2 KBName:  IMG_1393.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  172.0 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I agree that the final series of rappels are more of a PITA than fun, which is probably why I prefer Imlay over Heaps.

Euro Utah enthusiast Michael_WB's Avatar
    Never had the weather to do Heaps (twice planned), but greatly enjoyed Imlay, Kolob, and another 30 or so Utah canyons during my visits Stateside. Long rappels (Englestead/Icebox entries, Wedge exit, etc) are all well and good, but are also not a main attraction for me. But I'll get round to Heaps one day...

Nice pics btw :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_WB View Post
    Never had the weather to do Heaps (twice planned), but greatly enjoyed Imlay, Kolob, and another 30 or so Utah canyons during my visits Stateside. Long rappels (Englestead/Icebox entries, Wedge exit, etc) are all well and good, but are also not a main attraction for me. But I'll get round to Heaps one day...

Nice pics btw :-)
    Michael, We're headed off in about an hour to drop off a car in Springdale, then get dropped off at the West Rim TH. Should be hiking around 3ish PM or so. We'll be bivying in Phantom Valley right at the "Wetsuit Up-Area" this evening and then get a 7AM start into Heaps tomorrow. Sorry plans didn't work out on your recent visit, but it will happen!

6. Likes 2065toyota, Michael_WB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    Michael, We're headed off in about an hour to drop off a car in Springdale, then get dropped off at the West Rim TH. Should be hiking around 3ish PM or so. We'll be bivying in Phantom Valley right at the "Wetsuit Up-Area" this evening and then get a 7AM start into Heaps tomorrow. Sorry plans didn't work out on your recent visit, but it will happen!
    Let me know how it goes

It went so good. We got a little later start because of a shuttle issue en route.....so we got to camp just after full on dark. We found water and an open sandy spot about 20 minutes from the canyon opening.

The walk on the slick rock was amazing to the first rap. No hooking or potshots needed. Water seemed full still. The day was great, we had fun. And we descended in superhero shirts I brought as a surprise to the group. I am a nerd like that...I have always wanted to drop that final drop in a super hero shirt.

Amazing day and amazing canyon!

9. Likes ScottM liked this post